A++++++ Indeed!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by quinnsong, Apr 22, 2014.

1. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

However, if we accept that Christ sacrificed Himself for ours sins, we are certainly not going to hell. It's just that simple despite what you may have heard from others who have misunderstood, or what you yourself may have misconstrued.

Hell, And I got this from Catholic nuns, so I guess they would know, is not a place of fire and brimstone, it is simply being an infinite distance away from Goodness, i.e., God.

And what sort of Chemistry professor asks questions like that on a test? He seems very irresponsible.Not keeping his eye on the ball at all. Then again, UA has a terrible academic reputation, does it not? Now, I know why.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

You will need to read 2nd link, damn url only gave first page. Just not computer savvy enough to figure out how to put it all together,sorry. I thought it was kinda funny, not everything is about life or death, Arne. Oh and Arne I am not going to hell, relax.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Don't get worked up, this is a classic Urban Ledgend that sticks around the internet because it is funny and almost seems plausible.

Here is the low down on this particular UL:

Snopes

8. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

And now the rest of the story......Good Day!

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Regardless of the particulars, I think the story is rather clever and funny.

10. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Me too, I also enjoyed the back story. Ya live and learn.

11. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Well Origin, you are certainly living up to your name. Thank you for that.

I realize this whole thread and the original legend are all in fun, I won't say, "good fun,' but the question of hell is a very serious one. I think may people have this over simplified assumption that goes, 'Jesus loves you, and if you don't love Him, you will burn in hell forever.' I cannot deny there are millions of people who call themselves Christians who believe just that, but they are usually the same people who will tell you Harry Potter is going to hell for practicing witchcraft, never seeming to realize that fictional characters don't have immortal souls. And unfortunately many non-believers imagine such Christians represent the true beliefs of the Christian faith.

Well, it's not for me to say what constitutes true Christian beliefs, I can only tell you what I feel.

I once read of twelve-year old Jewish boys who were drafted in the czar's army in the late 19th century. As part of their 'training' they were imprisoned in boxes until they agreed to eat pork. Many of them chose starvation and death rather than accept such training. The God I believe in would certainly not reward these young men with eternal damnation.

Apologies, I know that's a bit heavy. How about this then? In his novel Zorba the Greek, Nikos Kazantzakis has the title character describing what he thinks God is like:

12. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

“God changes his appearance every second. Blessed is the man who can recognize him in all his disguises.”
    ― Nikos Kazantzakis, Zorba the Greek

13. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

doubled post. sorry.

14. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

“the highest point a man can attain is not Knowledge, or Virtue, or Goodness, or Victory, but something even greater, more heroic and more despairing: Sacred Awe!”
    ― Nikos Kazantzakis, Zorba the Greek

15. JJM Registered Senior Member

Howdy.....Hello.....Sacred Awe(realization/comprehension) is the observation and measurement of Objective Reality(people in error, call this God). It is not mythical mysticism, with its' irrational emotional esoteric abstraction. I would suggest you read the Objectivist Epistemology by Ayn Rand. Your Life belongs to you. Your decisions and pursuits belong to you. You are imposed with one Natural Law for species survival, 'None have the right to initiate physical aggression.' That is for all forms of aggression, the bare Human within its' own psyche must not be imposed upon. It has its' rights of Liberty and Freedom. Non may ever never infringe upon that. And it is that, which is Naturally Sacred, Life, Liberty, Freedom, Being Alive. Expressed. Me, Myself, I am ALIVE.

Last edited: May 2, 2014