Happy Easter...

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Gremmie, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I'm not at all religious, but, I give due respect to those that are...
    We are all just people, after all.

So, I wish you all a Happy Easter...

We have our fair share of cranks, and trolls here...

But, ya know what, I wouldn't have it any other way. Diversity, is what makes this life worth living...

Have a great day all...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Thank you Gremmie, enjoy the day!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Thanks, QS... : ) Gonna try.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Thanks an good ponts.!!!

My fond memories of Easter is baskets of green paper-grass an candy... an decoratin eggs... an huntin for eggs in the yard or even in the house if the weather was to bad.!!!

We have been buyin Easter crap for some kids (thank God not ours

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

to enjoy over the past 3 weeks... an ther will be a Easter egge hunt this afternoon.!!!

An a good day to you to :cheers:

8. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I have always enjoyed Easter... It's so cool for the kids.

And, I like hard boiled eggs, and jelly beans... So, it's a win, win. Hehehe.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Happy Easter and a Merry Ishtar!

I stand corrected, per one of my Wiccan friends:

tis not Ishtar... Easter is named for a Saxon goddess who was known by the names of Oestre or Eastre, and in Germany by the name of Ostara... Along with Ostara, many Wiccans and neopagans observe Beltane, Litha (or summer solstice), Lughnasadh, the autumnal equinox, Samhain, Yule and Imbolc

The goddess Ishtar's symbol is the Lion and yes she is the goddess of love, war and wisdom/power... but she is/was used as a symbol of prostitution not rebirth, eggs and bunnies... Ishtar's feasts would last for 7 days while Ostara would fall directly in the middle of those feasts...

Ostara is a goddess of the dawn and the spring, and her name derives from words for dawn, the shining light arising from the east. Our words for the "female hormone" estrogen derives from her name.

Ostara was, of course, a fertility goddess. Bringing in the end of winter, with the days brighter and growing longer after the vernal equinox, Ostara had a passion for new life. Her presence was felt in the flowering of plants and the birth of babies, both animal and human. The rabbit (well known for its propensity for rapid reproduction) was her sacred animal.

Easter eggs and the Easter Bunny both featured in the spring festivals of Ostara, which were initially held during the feasts of the goddess Ishtar | Inanna. Eggs are an obvious symbol of fertility, and the newborn chicks an adorable representation of new growth. Brightly colored eggs, chicks, and bunnies were all used at festival time to express appreciation for Ostara's gift of abundance.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  10. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

We are having our 'Easter dinner' tomorrow because hubby was working today. I managed to negotiate this day off in exchange for my services requested on Wednesday graveyard shift, when the big label run came down a day early because of the holiday pending.

I am just done roasting, cooling and 'field stripping' the turkey, having fed cat and hubby some of the breast meat for their dinner, setting aside both white and dark meat for tomorrow's repast, freezing half the breast meat and a turkey wing for future use and the remains of the bird, including the onion and carrot that were used in the roasting are in my stock pot, coming to the boil.

This picture is now just a place marker in history, lol.

I join Gremmie and the others in wishing you all a pleasant holiday spring weekend, regardless of the manner in which you acknowledge or celebrate same.

Enjoy!

11. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Omg... That looks so good. Save me some please...

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member