Way to eliminate abortion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by engineerjoe, Apr 19, 2014.

1. engineerjoe Registered Senior Member

Why don't we offer free vasectomies (clamp kind) in high schools? Then kids can hump all they want with no unwanted children. When they are ready they can have the clamps removed. This seems like it would pacify both sides of the abortion fight.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Because you wouldn't get many takers in high schools. You'd get FAR more takers with girls and the pill.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. engineerjoe Registered Senior Member

Thats what my wife said, but, if you sold it right it would work. Girls have to remember a pill every day, with clamps no one has to ever worry about that. If it was played up as a gender equalizer I bet a lot of groups would jump on board.

What I'm getting at is lets deal with the source of this issues instead of beating each other up about how to eliminate the symptoms.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Balerion Banned Banned

You can't eliminate abortion. It's never going away. The best you can do--and what you should do--is promote contraception and promote safe sex. Abstinence-only teaching is only contributing to the problem.

8. engineerjoe Registered Senior Member

I agree, but we have countless free condoms in school and how much is that helping? Shooting with blanks is guaranteed. At the very least we should explore this option.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I understand BUT you are NOT going to get many high school boys to buy into the plan.

10. engineerjoe Registered Senior Member

I don't know, I remember at that age if I caught anything I could get it cleaned up by a doctor, but a kid was a huge deal. Once boys realize that (and that if a condom breaks or slips off its not a big deal) I bet they would sign up. I would. Hell, I plan on getting one soon!

11. Bells Staff Member

You actually think you are going to be able to sell surgery for getting a tube in their balls clamped to a bunch of teenage boys?

Either way, the 'clip', is no longer available because of its high failure rate.

As for the clamp, or what you believe is an easily reversible vasectomy, there is no such thing. A vasectomy is generally regarded to be a permanent form of male contraception. The procedure to reverse a vasectomy, even just the clamp, is a much more complicated process than the non-surgical vasectomy you are advocating for teenage boys. And there is no guarantee that it will be successful and the success rate of fertility after a reversal is very small, which would render the majority of teenage boys unable to father children in the future.

Vasectomy Reversal

The decision to have a vasectomy should be carefully considered. A reversal procedure can be performed, but it does not guarantee restored fertility. In addition, these reversal procedures (vasovasostomy and vasoepididymostomy) are much more complicated surgeries than vasectomy.

American Urological Assocation Guidelines

In 2012, the American Urological Assocation (AUA) released guidelines for vasectomy. The AUA recommends that a man considering a vasectomy should meet with the doctor for a pre-operative consultation. The AUA emphasizes that it’s important for men to understand that vasectomy is intended as a permanent form of contraception.

Source: Vasectomy and vasectomy reversal | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/vasectomy-and-vasectomy-reversal#ixzz2zILvG22a
    University of Maryland Medical Center

This is without even touching on the dangerous side, if not deadly side, of your proposal. Vasectomy does not protect sexual partners from STD's. So selling vasectomy's to sexually active teenage boys and younger men would also have the added disadvantage of selling a culture that they would no longer need to use condoms, which could see a lot of them contracting STD's or HIV/AIDS.

A better solution is to encourage the use of condoms and spermicides, as well as female contraceptives to ensure safe sex practices continue, reducing the transmissions of STD's and HIV/AIDS and reducing pregnancy rates.

12. Balerion Banned Banned

It's helping quite a bit, apparently. That and sex education.

13. engineerjoe Registered Senior Member

Exactly, well, until you realize the rate of children born out of wedlock (or out of mistake) has only risen and never gone done...

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Bells is right, the pill (female or the in trial male) should only be used as a backup\in a stable relationship where you know the other person's health and they know yours and your only sleeping with each other or a set group or whatever your arrangement is but its stable and virus free

If your talking about teenagers who are not in stable relationships the potential for STIs (including lethal ones) are a far worse problem than the risk of abortion AND condoms protect against both STIs and pregnancy.

Why do you think they give away dental dams if all they are concerned about is pregnancy?

15. engineerjoe Registered Senior Member

Right, but it doesn't have to be an either-or, it could be an all of the above. Redundancy could only help society here.

16. Bells Staff Member

Did you read anything that I posted above?

If you wish to make generations of males mostly infertile, sure. Although I fail to see how making young males permanently incapable of fathering children is helpful to society..

Vasectomies are not a stop gap (pardon the pun) temporary measure. Medical experts and urologists classify it as a permanent form of contraception. And reversing it is much harder and way more complicated and is rarely ever successful. In other words, the greater majority of teenage boys having a vasectomy will be incapable of ever having a child later on in their lives.

17. engineerjoe Registered Senior Member

If they are cut sure, but clamps are easily removed.

18. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

So a guy gets a vasectomy if he wants one. How does that affect the abortion rate?

19. Bells Staff Member

No they are not easily removed.

The process takes a surgical intervention that lasts for a few hours and the success rate is not that high and it is costly.

So why would you want to have young men who have yet to even consider starting a family, having to undergo a procedure that could result in their never being able to father a child later on in life? It is because of this reason that urologists do not recommend young men get a vasectomy for the pure and simple reason that they may not be able to father children later on down the line. What you propose is invasive and as with any surgical procedure, could lead to infection, ongoing pain and may end up being permanent.

A more simple and cost effective and much more viable solution is better sex education and safe sex.

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

why not teach our children responsibility instead?
    let them know what sex is all about.
    females listen up, you have a kid and your life is basically screwed until that child turns 18.
    do really think men will hang around?
    some will, some won't, but YOU HAVE TO.
    yeah, sure, there are females that don't give a crap about their kids but they are few and far between.

BTW, females have the right to determine what happens to their bodies.
    if they are pregnant then they have 3 months to decide, after that, well you made the call.

21. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

The answer is simple and in three parts: education, education, edu...

...wait for it...

...cation.

22. mathman Valued Senior Member

How about diaphrams or IUD's for the girls?

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The fact is the same people who want to outlaw abortions also don't want teens to have sex. At all.