Worlds Fastes Super Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by hibatahir, Apr 17, 2014.

1. hibatahir Registered Member

China Still Has The World's Fastest Supercomputer

The Tianhe-2 was built by the National University of Defense Technology in China. It has a total of 3,120,000 Intel processing cores, but also features a number of Chinese built components and runs on a version of Linux called Kylin, which was natively developed by the NUDT.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

There is already a thread on this at: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...eed-computer&p=3076256&viewfull=1#post3076256 Perhaps you should post there?

Go there and see photo of Tianhe-2 and note it is huge. I know nothing about Kylin, but suspect that Tianhe-2 could not be world's fastest, just be cause of the signal transit delay.
    I. e, I suspect the Chinese, graduating > 10 times as many Ph.D. in computer sciences as the US does, have figured out how to do a lot of "parallel processing" and of course will not tell US (or anyone) how (or even that they have).

I'm far from a "geek" but have been told by some of them that when any where near this level how you organize the components is much more important than their speed.

Copy your post and then all of this one, except this line, there and kill this new thread on same subject.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

* I think this is for the same reason Brazil would not buy US made fighter jets, but just signed the final deal for 36 Gripen NG jet with SAAB of Sweden. I.e. fears that well hidden in the operational code are "back doors" that let the maker take control.

Brazil to pay 5.4 billion for them, with some manufacturing done in Brazil (by Embrae, world's largest maker of one isle commercial jets) and financed with commercial interest reference rate of 2.19 percent for 25 years with an eight-year grace period. More at: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/29/brazil-sweden-saab-idUSL1N1091UT20150729

To again drive home my often made point about how quality education, nationally funded pays big returns, not the 25th place education US's local funding gives:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    sideshowbob likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.