Ozone layer filtering of ultra voilet

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by ZMacZ, Apr 16, 2014.

1. ZMacZ Registered Senior Member

How much (%) ultra violet radiation is being filtered/bounced away by the ozone layer ?

And in terms of space...at what range from the sun would the same ultra violet density be as here on the Earth's surface ?

Like if the ultra violet filtering, by the ozone layer, reduces the ultra violet density on the Earths surface to 10% of what it would be in naked space..
    Then the same density of ultra violet radiation would received at roughly 3.2 AU's in naked space..(assuming I use the correct formula for density decrease over distance..)

Help plz ?

(I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this..so feel free to place it elsewhere when it's destination has better perspective..)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

From this source:

"The ozone layer absorbs 97–99% of the Sun's medium-frequency ultraviolet light (from about 200 nm to 315 nm wavelength), which otherwise would potentially damage exposed life forms near the surface."

If we assume that the ozone absorbs 97% of the UV and assume that the sun is a point source, then we can use the inverse square law for radiation:

\(\frac{I_1}{I_2}=\frac{{D_2}^2}{{D_1}^2}\)

\(I_1\) = original intensity = 1
    \(I_2\) = intensity at final distance = 0.03
    \({D_1}^2\) = original distance = \( 9.3 \times 10^7\) miles
    \({D_2}^2\) = final distance = ?

\(D_2=\sqrt{\frac{{{D_1}^2}\times I_1}{I_2}}\)

\( D_2 = 5.4 \times 10^8 \) miles

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. brucep Valued Senior Member

Thanks origin.

Very informative post.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ZMacZ Registered Senior Member

Thanx...5.8 AU...i hate doing formulas cuz I tend to skip numbers and stuff..and also...knowing that up there (outer space) has roughly 30 to 100 times more ultra violet, is very usefull for me to know too..cuz that would make solar panels equally more effective..

After concurrence of one or more I'd say that this thread has been answered and can subsequently be closed....ty..

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Thanks, I use to be a radcon worker, this is right up my alley so to speak.

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Glad I was able to answer your questions.

10. ZMacZ Registered Senior Member

Anf that would also help the next question that popped up in there...

Solar panels are OK for reaching anything up to Jupiter...Saturn would be also be possible but at much slower deceleration..
    Uranus, Neptune and Pluto would be much more difficult..since the actual capture of ultraviolet would be so much smaller..
    (and thus the resulting maximum achievable force..)

Too bad that the gyroscope thing is off-the board..

11. ZMacZ Registered Senior Member

12. danshawen Valued Senior Member

UV - C is some nasty radiation. Corneal damage in 30 seconds several feet from a 30W lamp. Skin damage (burns) in under two minutes. Very good at sterilization. Praise the ozone layer for filtering it out before it gets to us.

13. ZMacZ Registered Senior Member

on that...would UV-C have a greater effect on the electrical current being generated by solar panels ?

14. danshawen Valued Senior Member

I think the panels would need to be rad-hard if used in space. Usually, rad hardening process cuts efficiency as a trade-off for greater resistance to the deteriorating effects ionizing radiation. A misplaced UV-C lamp in my air duct completely destroyed the plastic case of an Aprilaire fan type automatic humidifier in about a month.

15. ZMacZ Registered Senior Member

wait..you said ionizing radiation right ?

Would that somehow be usefull as an electrical source ?
    Instead of shielding from it, actually using it to create current ?
    I'm thinking some type of salt, that staysolide, even when getting ionized..
    Or arther it won't ionize since it can realease the current ?
    ..just a random thought there..

16. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Solar cells do that, but the most popular ones degrade in UV light instead of making use of it.

Japan is working on some transparent solar cells that can convert UV into electricity. If it works well, you could layer the UV ones over the ones that are degraded by UV to get more bang for your buck.

17. ZMacZ Registered Senior Member

..cool....more electricty..

japanese scientists aren't bad at all...
    they actually think forward..

that and anime..the best..

(also..good noodles, and cute women too...and they have an island with lots of cats..so..they got my vote..)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

now if only they'd try and create more land by creating dykes around those islands and pumping away the water..then they'd also have more land too....
    (housing is very expensive there..)

18. ZMacZ Registered Senior Member

Yes I know..those last remarks are SOOO off topic..but hey, I felt like sayig that..

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Kansai International Airport is an international airport located on an artificial island in the middle of Osaka Bay.