science and taxes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sculptor, Apr 16, 2014.

1. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Out of the 10K we paid in taxes last year, $49.05 went to science, space, and technology.
    22 times that amount went to the military.

Does that really suck? Or is it just my perspective?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

I would say so. But since the DOD invests a lot in science it's not all that bad.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mathman Valued Senior Member

Some good examples: The internet (started from arpanet) and much early research in lasers.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Can it be both?

I would go with both. To the one, I agree it sucks. To the other, though that's my perspective, and, you know, while we share that perspective, it's one of those things that taps after paradigms. There really do seem to be some people in this world who think the human endeavor is a big game of King of the Hill. But I cannot objectively prove any or disprove any specific purpose for the human species.

So, yeah. It sucks. Or so says us. Little from column A, little from column B.

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The DOD also siphons from the nominally "civilian" science budget - a good share of that 50 bucks is spent launching stuff and checking things out of little scientific value beyond combat needs. Where the balance lies is hard to figure.

One's suspicion would be that the marginal rate of return - even in military matters alone - would be much greater for extra dollars shifted from a bloatfest of clandestine whizgear refinement to more open and humble science and engineering. A thorough investigation into a few more of the 300 or so molten salt combinations known to be potentially good for thermal solar storage (last I checked we'd looked at three or four in detail), for example, has better odds of strengthening our military position in the Middle East than the latest in rifles that can shoot around corners.

9. engineerjoe Registered Senior Member

The last page you file with your taxes should be a form with all the federal agencies listed. You could check which ones you want your money to go to and how much. This would eliminate all unnecessary agencies and no one would be ticked off about where their money went too. I know, this makes too much sense to ever happen...

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Despite the way we all feel a few days after Tax Day, the government is not the only source of funding for science. Corporations and private universities are quite interested, and they've got big bucks too.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, no, it would eliminate agencies who don't spend any money on advertising. If you implemented this, within a year, all government agencies would be spending over half their budgets on ads.

"Housing and urban development? I saw them on TV! They keep America strong. What? The CDC? I don't even know what that is. No money for them."