Conservation of Kinetic Energy

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by one_raven, Apr 15, 2014.

1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Assume a stationary fundamental particle in an idealized vacuum – particle a.
    Now, fire an identical particle – particle b – at particle a in a straight line at speed x.
    Given the properties of a fundamental particle (perfectly incompressible point) I assume particle a will transfer all its kinetic energy to particle b, without any loss. The collision would result particle a coming to a full stop and particle b continuing particle a's original trajectory at speed x.
    Is that correct, so far?

Now add a third identical fundamental particle to the equation...
    Again, start with particle a stationary.
    This time fire particles b and c at particle a at speed x from exactly opposite positions, so they both strike particle a from opposite sides, simultaneously.
    My first response was to think particles b and c will both transfer their kinetic energy to particle a, which will return an equal amount of energy to each particle, causing particles b and c to return in the direction from which they came at speed x.
    There's something about that answer that just doesn't sit right with me, and I can't quite figure out what it is...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Does it matter that these are particles? Can they be billiard balls?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It could.
    Fundamental particles are, by nature, incompressible, dimensionless points.
    That, along with the idealized vacuum, assures a perfectly lossless transfer of kinetic energy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

I think that's what happens. What's the problem?

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

No problem. Just looking to verify.

9. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

I was asking this to clarify that particle interaction is to be disregarded, that the conditions are equivalent to ideal balls rolling on a frictionless table. From there I was going to suggest that you consider the way a cue ball recoils when it strikes a stationary ball. Ideally, then you could simply treat this as a simple case of elastic collision.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Thanks.