Fluoride toothpaste toxic?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by emanresU, Apr 13, 2014.

1. emanresU Registered Member

Fluoride is toxic, right? Like all things are when taken in abundance....but is this why my dentist's assistant looked rather shocked when I swallowed half of it while undergoing a Fluoride-bath session in my puberty (Some sort of artificial dents with a lot of fluoride containing goo on it.) ?

Since parents are warned not to put more toothpaste on the brushes of their kids than a pea-size amount of it..why is this warning not mentioned on toothpaste tubes for adults? Why do some governments add fluoride to drinking water? They say WIFI may be the new asbestos, but what about fluoride? All those increasing burn-out syndromes lately amongst youngsters...?

how far is science in this matter?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Spaazkaz anti-religious spiritual type Registered Senior Member

I'd like to bump this. I have an interest in this flouride issue as I ate a bottle of sweetly flavored, candy-like, fluoride tablets when I was younger. This is said to be the reason my teeth are irreversibly discolored and blotchy yellow ("fluorosis"). I am not sure if it was from this one toxic incident, or an accumulation over time. My Interest lies in whether or not I should be as wary as I am of using fluoride containing toothpastes.

Any help to the OP would also be a help to me, thank you.

-spaz

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Fluoride is harmless in the quantities used in toothpaste. Also wi-fi and cell phones are harmless. You get more radiation from the sun.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Not only that but wi-fi and cell phones use NON-ionizing radiation. It takes IONIZING radiation to cause harm.

8. nyscof Registered Senior Member

Fluoride ineffective & harmful

Fluoride is neither a nutrient nor essential for healthy teeth. LIke all drugs, fluoride has adverse side effects Google The Fluoride Action Network

The FDA says fluoride supplements are an unapproved drug.

A Cochrane Review of fluoride supplements studies show that there is no benefit to baby teeth and "benefits" to permanent teeth is dubious

Fluorosis lawsuits are beginning

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

This is... mostly true.

The issue comes with the type of fluoride and the fact that it is being added to the water, toothpaste, etc. Too much fluoride has the potential to pull calcium out of the bones and even teeth... and another problem is that, since the most commonly added type of fluoride is Fluorosilicic acid, which can tend to react unwell with acidic compounds in polluted rain and actually leech lead from the solder used in early pipes, there is a potential for additional lead compounds to be in the water.

Personally, I'd take the fluoride out of the drinking water and leave it to dentists to give higher doses and leave it in toothpastes, since there is where it does the most good anyway.

10. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

You don't need to use fluoride toothpaste,just use salt or baking soda,it works just as well maybe even better..
    I ve been doing just that and haven't a cavity in many years!

11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Even if toothpaste had a lot more fluoride in it, you don't need to swallow the stuff. The average toothpaste contains about 0.1% fluoride. I treat my teeth with 2% fluoride gel for an hour every day. And then I wash it off. I don`t eat it!