What actually occurs in a so-called 'Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser' experiment

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by cav755, Apr 12, 2014.

1. cav755 Banned Banned

'A Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser'
    http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9903047

When a photon interacts with the BBO crystal in Fig. 2 the created downconverted photon pair propagate with opposite angular momentums. We will label one of the photons the "up" photon and the other photon the "down" photon. Both "up" and "down" photons are detected at D3 and D4. Due to their interaction with the second beam splitter either "up" or "down" photons are detected at D1 and D2. There are two interference patterns being generated at D0 regardless of what else occurs in the experiment. One of the interference patterns is associated with the "up" photons and the other with the "down" photons. FIG. 3 and FIG. 4 are analogous to the two interference patterns being created at D0. The interference patterns are slightly offset and if you overlay the two images they form a bell curve. Since both sets of photons are detected at D3 and D4 the only image able to be discerned at D0 is the bell curve. Since either "up" or "down" photons are detected at D1 and D2 the interference pattern associated with each set of photons is discernible at D0.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BlackHoley Banned Banned

Not a bad paper.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CptBork Valued Senior Member

So what? This is why it's good to learn about basic physics before jumping into the cutting edge, so you can understand what constitutes a "revolutionary" new discovery, and what's been old knowledge for well over a century. Even in the 1800's, scientists understood that single slits also produce an interference pattern, it's just not the same pattern you get for a double slit. You're used to looking at the simplified high school picture where the slits are treated as if they were infinitesimally thin and the particle can only have one specific position as it passes through, whereas in real life, real diffraction gratings have slits of finite size that produce diffraction even when all but one slit is blocked.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cav755 Banned Banned

With my correct explanation, there is no need to make up nonsense like "delayed choice", "quantum eraser" or "which way".

8. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Ok then, show us your calculations so we can see how to predict diffraction patterns using your "correct explanation".

9. cav755 Banned Banned

There are two waves associated with de Broglie's double solution theory. There is the physical wave connected to and neighboring the photon which guides the photon and the purely statistical non-physical wave function. The purely statistical non-physical wave function is the same wave function used in other QM interpretations to determine probabilistic results from experiments.

10. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I don't want another layman explanation, I want the precise details. You express confidence that you've got it all figured out, so let's see your calculations. Not only should you be able to give a formula for the idealized case of two infinitesimally thin slits, you should be able to derive a general diffraction equation for any number of slits of any shape and transparency, much as Fresnel did with light more than 150 years ago and is done analogously in quantum mechanics. I want to know precisely what happens when and where in your picture and how to calculate it, so start by showing me, step by step, how you derive the Fresnel diffraction formula using your pilot wave approach.

11. cav755 Banned Banned

The following image does not "quantum erase" which means the "which way" information is always known and the interference patterns at D0 will still be discernable depending on photons detected at D0 correlated with photons detected at Dac1 and (Dbc1 or Dbc2) or photons detected at Dac2 and (Dbc1 or Dbc2)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I didn't ask for you to make your argument with pictures. I asked you to show us how you use your pilot wave model to calculate diffraction patterns. You said particles have real physical paths leading from source to screen, so I'm waiting for you to show us how to calculate those paths and get a diffraction pattern.

13. cav755 Banned Banned

My previous response had nothing to do with you. When I respond to you I will include your post.

'Interpretation of quantum mechanics by the double solution theory by Louis de Broglie'
    http://aflb.ensmp.fr/AFLB-classiques/aflb124p001.pdf

'Non-linear Wave Mechanics: A Causal Interpretation by Louis de Broglie (English translation) Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1960.'
    http://bookza.org/g/Louis De Broglie (pdf)

14. cav755 Banned Banned

The following image does not "quantum erase" which means the "which way" information is always known and the interference patterns at D0 will still be discernable depending on photons detected at D0 correlated with photons detected at Dac1 and (Dbc1 or Dbc2) or photons detected at Dac2 and (Dbc1 or Dbc2)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!