Has anyone researched the intensity and duration of heroin?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Curious Thought, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Curious Thought Registered Member

Have their been any studies regarding the high of various drugs specifically heroin graphed out with duration (minutes) on the x and intensity (euphoria) on the y?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I think death by OD is most likely after 3 years or so... But not sure... maybe 4 years...
    edit: Sorry I just re- read your question and may be a little off topic..

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Heroin comes in many ways. Many times the heroin is "cut" with stuff so that the dealers can make more profits. There are times when almost pure heroin gets onto the street but the intensity is so overwhelming that people, at times, die from one hit. That's why heroin shouldn't be used because you never know what purity you are buying so would you take a chance with your life?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Could you say with out too much of a stretch that the intensity and duration of a hit could be up to the Drug vendor/pusher and whether he wants his customer to hang around for a while or not?
    The dealer or his boss being in control of the intensity and duration [therefore the users life expectancy] not the heroin itself and not so much the users tolerance either.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm sure that was done as soon as it was invented.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The quality of the heroin is done by the dealer but the fact remains that the user can and does use to much at times that kill themselves. That's more the fact then what you suggest. I'd agree what you say does happen but more often than not the user OD's due to their own stupidity than anything else. That is why I say don't use the stuff because you are playing Russian Roulette when using heroin.

10. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

The thing about heroin, is that tolerance rises very quickly, and often, the amount required to "get high" is greater than the amount it will take to kill you. Both of these numbers rise with use. If a first time user tried to take as much heroin as a long time user, he or she would probably die. The problem is that the amount taken to get high rises faster than the amount taken to kill you, which is why heroin overdoses are so common. You especially see this when heroin users go to treatment and get of the stuff for a time. If they relapse, they often try to pick up where they left off, and take an incredibly large dose. The problem is that The amount it will take to kill them has dropped.

We see this often in the field (I work in Chemical Dependency Treatment). When working with recovering heroin addicts, we try to stress this. That the danger to them is very great if they use again. This gets into a complicated area, because the stance of TX centers is complete abstinence. But with heroin addicts, we also need to address whats called "harm reduction". Still it is very common that patients who come through for heroin addiction frequently die shortly after leaving.

As to the OPs question, the answer is yes. Such graphs should be abundant on the internet. Unfortunately, I am at a coffee shop that blocks most such sites, so I can't seem to find one.

Mmm... Interesting thought but I don't think so. How much it is "cut" is for profit. Heroin is so addictive that you can water it down significantly and it will still cause powerful addiction. Since there is also such an incredibly high demand for it, dealers don't really give a shit if you live or die. Also considering that the user often owes money to the dealer, if you are a problematic customer who often comes short on $, you're dealer may very well intentionally give you a high dose, or lace yours with something toxic to kill you. After all, the best way to kill someone really is to make it look like a suicide, or accidental drug overdose.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Most psychoactive drugs do not have the same effect on all people. Even a cup of coffee leaves some people barely buzzed while it leaves me bouncing on the ceiling for several hours.

Thus for any drug some people will build up to a lethal dose very quickly, while others might never get there.

Also, some drugs remain active in one person's system longer, continuing to produce the desired effect, while another person's metabolism might flush it out faster. Again, this is as true of the legal drugs like alcohol and nicotine, as for the illicit drugs.