New member (sort of)

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by sonoforigin, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonoforigin Banned Banned

Hi, I am sonoforigin.

I am not really new, I am the member previously known as origin. I had to leave for a little while because I did not particularly like how nasty I was getting and upset I was feeling about some members. I felt I was becoming a troll trolling trolls (if that makes any sense). I realized however, that a troll trolling trolls is still a troll (oh, god that sounds more confusing). Anyway I needed a break. I banned myself because I was sure that I was too weak to stop myself from returning to flame on anti-science posts. I have a real love of science and I suppose I began to take the disparaging of science a bit personally. I also didn’t like the way the forum leaders would allow members to post obvious pseudoscience in the science section.

Well guess what, this isn’t my site and they can run it any way they see fit and if someone writes about hating science the chances are I will probably survive the post.

I am going to do my utmost to try to remain civil. I will still call out anti-science and unscientific posts, but hopefully I will not take these posts personally and begin raving.
    I really do think this is a great site and I am glad to be back.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Welcome back, Origin

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Howdy Origin - if you would like, I'm pretty sure we could probably have your original account unbanned (if memory serves you pm'ed us to request the ban, did you not?) - entirely up to you though

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Ten---HUTT! Science officer on deck!

Welcome back, whether you're back as origin, sonoforigin, or sonofagun. It's all good.

At least the troll count is back down to about normal.

8. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

LOL.

When I saw you had asked to have your account removed, I wondered if you would come back as a sock puppet. I guess when you admit who you were before you were banned, at your own request as you say, that doesn't make you a sock. I have you on ignore already because of how uncivil you always were with anyone who simply wanted to discuss their ideas, and I don't expect someone like you can change, anymore than someone like me can change how and what I am interested in posting about.

9. sonoforigin Banned Banned

Thanks!

10. sonoforigin Banned Banned

Sure if you could do that it would be nice. Thanks.

11. sonoforigin Banned Banned

Thanks for the welcome! Maybe I can get my old name and then I wouldn't have to refriend (is that a word) everybody.

12. sonoforigin Banned Banned

I wanted to see what the sock puppet route is like - it ain't that great.:shrug:

Yeah, I guess we are too old to change our strippes so you might as well leave me on ignore - I only really enjoy talking about the science not pseudosc...wait. Geeze, only 4 posts and I am already hinting at uncivility - just relax - oooouuuuummmmm.

13. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

That's funny. I mean actually funny. I only saw this post because I clicked here on a tabbed paged that had timed out (logged me out). So I read your remarks. I logged back in and your post rolled up into an "Ignore box". I don't remember when or why I put you on ignore, but I am certain it had something to do with you attacking science, in favor of ideas that you believe trump academia, even though I'm quite certain you never made it past about a 7th grade level of science competency.

Given all of that, it's no wonder you put origin on hold, or that you would ridicule him for expressing remorse about losing his true nature after months of troll attacks, something that any honest person would praise him for, since, as we know, good scientific minds--the ones that are usually right--tend to be scrupulously honest.

And no doubt origin has called you to the carpet on many occasions for posting fallacious arguments that are probably best characterized as anti-science pseudoscience. So your post is almost predictable.

Oh, BTW, Between about 1850 and 1890 scientists searching for aether discovered that neither a medium nor space itself adds its velocity vector to that of a light ray, which I think nixes just about everything you've ever posted in a science thread.

LOL.

14. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

That would be better. Plus all the cockroaches would be running for the chinks in the wall as soon as the name "origin" popped up, knowing full well they are about to be taken to the shed.

BTW grumpy, brucep, cptBork and few other good folks are collectively handing the "socket puppet ID" torch back to you. reiku went off the hook with sockpuppets and even gravitational_aether got stealthy. But a few of us (at least me) got our wires crossed on which was which. I think I can pick reiku out of a line-up but some of the other trolls are a little more agile.

And of course no wonder that gravity_wave, one of the posters that could learn bucketloads of math & science from you, would have the audacity to put you on Ignore.

Also, in other news, rpenner wrote some outstanding slam-dunk posts refuting the anti-climate science cranks, which is being played out on another site, which I thought was a great way to expand the discussion, since he & Trippy were posting in-depth science facts but weren't getting much feedback except from wellwisher

But I thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't noticed, also to plug for rpenner's posts, and to let readers in general know that's a fertile field for discussion over there, esp if they have any interest in even some of the basis for climate science like chemistry.

Other than that folks were sad to see you gone, and not just in posts. I also got PMs expressing shock. In any case you know I'm one of those people who enjoys reading you. Fortunately russ_waters & billvon did a great job of responding to cranks. At some point I would swear you wrote their remarks. As far as I can tell each of you three were cloned from the same source (textbooks

). All good solid stuff that people can take to the bank.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The difference here is that Origin REQUESTED to have his account banned... he was not banned for any wrongdoing. While he could have put in a support ticket to have the account unbanned, the fact that he has limited himself to posting here, and that it was a self imposed exile, make this different from a standard case of sockpuppetry.

16. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I have changed origin's permaban into a 1day temp ban and permabanned sonoforigin. Origin, you will be able to resume normal posting tomorrow. It's the best I can manage as I do not have the authority to simply overturn a ban.

See you tomorrow, and welcome back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.