Obama-Girl

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Michael, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

[video=youtube;VIMnIh10po0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIMnIh10po0[/video]

Looks like a few of the Millennial's are starting to wake up.
    I wonder what they'd do once they fully realize how their babyboomer grandparents sold them out and are now trying to take them to the cleaners as they exit this planet - leaving what's left of humanity to wallow in their pollution and filth?

We'll just have to wait and see.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Another Koch ad?

By the way, you need to get your generations straight. You don't even know who the Baby Boomers are.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

What if they had a war and nobody came?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Easy come easy go. The fact is that supporting Obama is more about opposing the opposition party, which in many ways is far worse. Liberals know Obama is a centrist corporate Democrat, but he's done some good things in the face of mostly irrational hatred against him. We tend to be loyal to the cause, not the person, and there are legitimate criticisms to be made of both the president and the oligarchy we have set up for all presidents to operate within. Cultish followers were never all that well informed to begin with. The power has never been with the president, the power is the people.

8. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

If by 'people' you mean stinking rich white men and the shell corporations they disguise themselves as, I am with you.Early on enough in US history for John Q. Adams to say it, he said: "We founded this nation for the people, of the people and by the people, and now it's just about the 'stock-jobbers' ( to paraphrase). I voted for Obama twice even though I knew from the start that the shadow rulers simply understood that the presidency needed 'rebranding'. Dubya's two-terms were about up, every one had caught on to what a dunce he was, and a 'whole new look' was needed. Obama rose to prominence at the Democratic convention. So he was summoned before the council. Being no fool, he knew to say, 'Yes sir, Yes sir, Yes sir, No sir, and I don't know for sure ,sir, but I'm willing to learn." and when his interview was over the rich white men nodded their approval among themselves, and said, "Yes, he'll do nicely." The rest is history.

So if the power is with the people, I guess the situation the young lady in the video is lamenting is my fault. As Ronald Reagan said when he was woken and told about the Iran-Contra scandal: "I take full responsibility." Now I hope I get off as scott-free as he did.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You're right that much of the power rests with those hand picking the candidates. But it's also true that if you aren't moderate in your views, you will not get anything done in congress. If you don't get campaign funds, you won't get elected to congress. But in the end, it's all about the votes.

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I'm not quite as cynical as you my friend, but I certainly understand it. It's all about the money. And that is why we need to remove the money from our political system. If we want a government that works for the people it is supposed to represent we need serious reforms in our election process and the ethics we expect of our elected representatives. We need to get rid of the Billy Tauzin's in our government.

11. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

The contradiction is that while average people will give lip service to representative government, they tend to vote for people with good hair, or simply because they said the word "God" a few times in their ads, just enough to jibe with the idea that we need a good Christian leader to run a good Christian nation. And of course their idea of representative government is one that halts social progress and holds disadvantaged minority groups in check. Supposedly that's what good Christian leaders do best. They call it "reclaiming America", which is their euphemism for rescinding rights and liberties of others so they can dominate and exploit them for gain. And as we hear them tell it, that emulates Jesus too. Maybe "representative paradox" is the best term although I suspect that's just a euphemism for "representative assholes".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What's up with that? :bugeye:

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

We are all human and therefore subject to all the frailties thereof. And those who have the money have access to the resources that can be used to exploit those frailties. That is why we need to reform our election process. We need better informed voters and we need to take the special interest money out of our political system.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

We should elect Congressmen/women and let them write bills they think are needed for the country but the people themselves should then cast votes on those proposals to either pass them or reject them. That way there are still those in office making the laws but the people vote on those laws to pass or reject them giving the people the say in what they think is right.

14. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Isn't it strange how people argue over real and imagined frailties (or threats), and then this becomes the whole basis for all of politics? I think it was Aldous Huxley who said that all evil in the world collapses to one central cause, the ravages of nature. That is, the evil in people can be traced, even if only through layers of complexity, to natural causes. I'm sure religious people will argue this, believing, for example that humans are inherently sinful. But in the ideal, if we were all immortal and had infinite resources, there would be nothing to fight over. Of course nature intervenes, kills us off, and gives us just barely enough to scrape by on. The other side of human frailty is gullibility. That's what makes marketing work, and so naturally politicians exploit it acutely, leading to huge upheavals and damage, while the general trend--social progress--creeps along at a snail's pace.

Great minds think alike,

Unfortunately the Supreme Court agrees with you. We can thank Reagan and Dubbya for that.

Education is supposed to address that. How and why this is not working is a huge question. My instincts tell me that if people did not rely on propaganda for their sole sources of information, this wouldn't be an issue.

It looks like before we can do that we need to clean out the Right Wing of the Supreme Court.

That's a sad assessment of the state of legislation. It says we can't rely on a system in which a person runs on a ticket that promises certain legislation, without taking the steering wheel out of their hands as they endlessly circle the block in a state of gridlock.

It remains to be seen what they actually do. We might be better off with robots that process all the input they're getting from the public, to craft the provisions into laws objectively, by measuring the statistics of opinion and optimizing benefit-to-cost, etc. At least that would take care of the patronizing and moronic nonsense.

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I would argue that gullibility is a human frailty. And politicians, along with their financial sponsors, do exploit gullibility and ignorance to their favor and to the detriment of those they deceive. And you don’t have to look far to see it in action. Republican politicians, their financiers, and their entertainment industry deceived the nation and their followers during the Bush II years. One day, in the waning days of the Bush Junior administration they woke with reality knocking at their doorstep. The Republican solution, yet another deception, and behold the RINO was born and all is now well within the conservative ranks and the culprits walk away scot-free.

Back in my college days some 30+ years ago, I remember a professor discussing jury selection. He argued that jury trials were won and lost not during the actual trial but during jury selection. And there is much to support his contention, and you don’t have to look far to see the benefits of jury selection in action. Seemingly inexplicable jury decisions are common in trials where professional jury screeners have been brought in to screen juries. Some recent high profile cases clearly demonstrate the power and value of a carefully screened and selected jury. This is a human vulnerability which is commonly exploited by people who have the money to exploit it.

“Some experts believe that 85% of cases litigated are won or lost in the jury selection phase.” - Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_selection#Criticism

Our buttons are known and people who have the money and resources know how and have the ability to exploit them to their advantage.

In part it can, but education in the US isn’t very consistent. We don’t have a national standard. Education varies considerably from school district to school district. I think logic should be a required course in secondary education. Unfortunately it is only taught in colleges and even then, not consistently.

The only way to fix this completely is to go back to “The Fairness Doctrine” where both sides of important issues are aired. Imagine, Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity having to give airtime to someone who can present the other side of the story and revealing their lies. Reinstatement of the “The Fairness Doctrine” would impede the ability of deceivers to deceive, and that is why Republicans are so vehemently against its reinstatement.

Indeed, this Supreme Court has repeatedly demonstrated it is nothing more than a right wing political agent.

Indeed, but taking the steering wheel out of the hands of legislators really doesn’t solve anything. It only creates more problems. I don’t think Americans want to go back to the days of the French Revolution and mob rule. Hell, if people cannot elect responsible representatives now, how are they going to be able to vote on every issue? And what happens if not everyone votes? You have the opportunity for some extreme and even more stupid outcomes.

As I said before, we need better informed voters. We need elected representatives who are not beholden to special interest money and perks. We need elected representatives who have but one interest at heart and that is the health and well-being of the American people. Mushroom management works for Republican politicians and those who finance them, but not so much for the American people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom_management

I don’t think we need to replace humans with computers yet, nor are computers yet capable of such decisions. I think a little daylight and disinfectant can go a long way in solving our political problems. Humans are innately flawed beings. But that doesn’t mean we cannot create nearly defect free processes and systems. We have done it and we do it every day (e.g. Six Sigma Processes).

http://www.isixsigma.com/new-to-six-sigma/getting-started/what-six-sigma/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Sigma

16. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member