Is this even possible...

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by alexb123, Apr 9, 2014.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I was informed today that I could not use a standard Dictaphone to record a court hearing because the court microphones in place were so sensitive that my device could interfer with theirs.

Mobile phone, wi-fi, (as far as I know hearing aids) are all fine and these all transmit something externally. A Dictaphone just records and doesn't transmit, as far as I know.

So is this claim by the courts a really possibility or just an excuse to stop me recording?

Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

At face value, the claim makes no sense unless your dictaphone is loud due to a poorly designed mechanical system.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. Or even if it did do something, maybe the magnet (if it has one) could interfere, but surely other devices would be much higher risks.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why record a courtroom proceeding when you can attain the entire proceeding from the court for free?

8. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I have a memory problem so I needed it to prepare for the second day of the hearing.

9. Guru Registered Senior Member

Maybe it must be the feedback into the microphone from yours to theirs that they must be worried about.