Ensure workplace safety

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by LaserRidges, Apr 8, 2014.

1. LaserRidges Registered Member

All workplaces should be safe for all those who work there. There are certain fields where workers are exposed to risks and dangers. Certain such worksites offer a good package but that does not solve the issue. All the factors related to safety should be assessed.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure what your saying, it sounds like you're trying to sell something. I'm the Heath and Safety Representative where I work, I have to do an inspection once a month and workers come to me if they have concerns regarding safety in the workplace. I had to be elected and undergo training to do this. I can issue breach notices which can result in fines ranging from 8,000 dollars to 3 million and 5 years in prison if upheld by the government authority which in Australia is called Workcover.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There is only so much that you can do to insure workers safety. As an example I was a plumber and electrician and went out to homes and businesses to do work there. Since I'm alone when I do the work only I can keep myself safe and no agency can provide me with any safety equipment. I must watch what I did to ensure my own well being.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Some jobs are inherently dangerous so we just do the best we can. In addition, safety protections can be incredibly expensive, so we have no choice but to use actuarial mathematics to decide whether saving X number of lives over the next decade or century is worth the cost of millions or even billions of dollars. Life insurance decisions indicate that the average employed American values his life at around seven million dollars. (This may be out of date, so double it if you want.)

There are also trade-offs within the safety sphere itself. New York City outlawed the use of asbestos for fire prevention when the World Trade Center was half-built. The lower floors had asbestos but it could not be used in the upper floors. Other fireproofing materials are denser; they could not be used because the lower floors had not been built with enough strength to support them. So they just muddled through and did the best they could under the circumstances. I've been told that one engineer pointed at a ten-floor zone on the blueprint of one of the towers and said, "If an airliner with a relatively full fuel tank hits it right here, the entire building will collapse."

Apparently the architectural engineers on Al Qaeda's staff reached the same conclusion.

Three thousand people died. And do you know how many lives, statistically, were saved from death by asbestos poisoning, over the projected lifespan of the World Trade Center?

ONE!

8. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

Ban guns.

(Ducks below parapet)