custody question

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by NMSquirrel, Apr 6, 2014.

1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

I know of someone who shares custody of their children with each other, they alternate weekly, one week with her, next with him.

personally, I think this would not be good for the kids,
    but then again I have no experience, nor know anyone who has had the every other week parents.

I grew up with Mom for school year and Dad during summer, as did most others I know(or vice versa).

anyone here have the every other week parent?

pro's/con's?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

too late to add pole..

so we can do it informally:

how did you grow up?
    1: just Dad/grandpa
    2: just Mom/grandma
    3: both parents always there.
    4: Mom during week,Dad weekends( or vice versa)
    5: Mom school,Dad summer(vice versa)
    6: one week dad one week mom
    7: other (explain)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My upstairs tenant shares custody of his two kids with his ex-wife. He picks them up from school on Monday, keeps them Monday and Tuesday night, then she picks them up on Wednesday and keeps them Wednesday and Thursday night. Then he picks them up Friday night and keeps them over the weekend. Next week is just the opposite: she picks them up on Monday, etc., then she gets them the next weekend.

Keeping track of all that would drive me crazy. Of course, so would having children at all, which is why I don't.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

We have family friends whose marriage turned into a ghastly painful mess. They had 3 children a girl and 2 boys. Eventually they divorced and shared custody. He bought a house about 2-300 yards away in the small town on the edge of which they had lived together. Their marriage may have sucked, but their divorce was great. The children soon tired of the move back and forth every other week, and lobbied for a change of plans. Sometimes, the boys would stay with him and the girl with her. Both of their careers required travel out of town, during which all 3 children would stay with the parent in residence.
    He arranged with the small restaurant in town for the children to be able to stop in and have a meal whenever they wanted.

Of course, some parents will use the children as pawns in a continuing battle with each other long after it's important or could have any positive outcome. In such a case, the children suffer from the parent's mental illness. And I know of no shared custody solution for mental illness.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Usually the parents decide what they want to do with thier children and then the court authorizes their suggestion in most cases. There are times however that parents can't agree what the best thing to do is and then the court decides for them what is the best for the childrens sake.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

And unless times have really changed a lot, nobody cares very much what the children want.