Norwegian Skydiver Almost Gets Hit by Falling Meteor.

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Trippy, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

So...

This norwegian skydiver was doing his thing, recording his dive. He checks the footage some time later and notices that he recorded a meteor in its dark flight stage that only narrowly missed him. He claims to have been aware of 'something' at the time. Could you imagine the accident investigation on that one?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(Click the image for more info).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yep, saw that this morning....Incredible footage!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

I just liked the video where they are all laughing when the geologist said that if it had hit him, then he would have been torn in two.. Hur hur hur..

Jokes aside, it was an amazing capture, I guess you could say. From my understanding, it's the first time a meteorite has been captured in this stage of its 'fall to earth'?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yup, first time ever, never happened before, unlikely to happen again for a long time, but then again, as we get more people in the sky with digital cameras the odds of this sort of thing being captured again begin to increase,

8. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thanks for posting this Trippy. Always a reason to swing by this forum.

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

did anyone heard what happened with the meteorite aftherwards? Did they pick it with them? Considering the circumstances it should have been easy to spot and retrieve

10. orcot Valued Senior Member

so... fake? A rock that size moving that fast would have cleared it's inmediate surrounding (let's say a meter) of vegetation. making it easy to spot if you went looking

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I reviewed the video and only 1 frame had the rock showing. It would seem to me that the rock should have been in at least 3 or 4 frames of that video but alas it wasn't there.

12. orcot Valued Senior Member

if it was in only 1 frame you wouldn't be able to see it in the video I used avidemux on a ss'ed YouTube video and theirs clearly more then 1 frame

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

A warning shot from God, clearly. Stop skydiving. It's wasteful and increases your margin of danger needlessly.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

I've dropped helmets from 3000 feet; definitely not easy to find. (And that was a white helmet.) I imagine something that looks like a rock is going to be nearly impossible.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

On the youtube video at the 14 to 15 mark is where I saw the rock.

16. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Went skydiving once in my early twenties and it did not even get my adrenalin pumping. I don't know what that says about me but then again, jumping out of a plane was nothing compared to the adventures that me and my three wild ass brothers could cook up.

17. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

it would have slowed considerably and would basically been at terminal velocity, so it wouldn't have "torn him in two nor left a big crater.

18. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I read that he took a few days off and went looking for it but didn't find it.

19. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

20. orcot Valued Senior Member

Id imagend there was some dust and some sound, their should have been people on the ground noticing it also at what altitude would you deploy your parachute? 750-500 meters from the ground How difficult can it be to find something in that radius I've you got a birds eye view of it. Also that thing was bigger then a helmet. I'm calling fake