Fort Hood - Lack of critical thinking, coping and other skills?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by darksidZz, Apr 4, 2014.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I am interested in hearing whether you think teaching critical thinking methodologies and coping skills (aka anger management, etc.) should be taught in the military as a primary course as well as public/private schools. It seems to me there's way to much lack of these in today's social hierarchy and that is what is causing alot of these issues. What do you think about the idea?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Absoutely!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I'm not altogether certain that critical thinking skills can be taught. Teaching the methodologies might introduce the student to the doorway into (or out to) critical thinking, but the success would derive from the interest in engaging in the skill. From my perspective, it seems that most people would rather not be burdened by the use of critical thinking.

Now, critical thinking, especially within the rank and file, within a military environment opens up a whole new can of worms.
    When the order is given: "Charge that machine gun!", just how much critical thinking would any commander actually want?

Anger, being an emotional response, may not be within the purview of logic and reason?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

You have some good points. Awarness is a good starting place. I would also note, there is a need for critical thinking even within the military.