7 day free trial!

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by NMSquirrel, Mar 23, 2014.

1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

no this isn't spam or an ad.

this is a complaint.

recently I had filled out an online survey, and at the end was four 'prizes' for filling out the survey, there wasn't much I wanted, so I asked my daughter if she wanted any of them, she picked the anti wrinkle cream (she is 27, she doesn't need anti wrinkle cream) anyway I filled out the appropriate forms and clicked submit. 14 days later a 87.85 charge appeared in my account. (knew I had to pay 4.95 shipping and handling) now I write(e-mailed) the company (bellalabs) and they say they do not accept any products back that has been shipped or delivered, and that they cannot refund my 87.85 because I had agree'd to subscribe to their 30 day supply subscription, they canceled the subscription but refused to take back their product (which remains unopened).

now granted this is 14 day free trial, not 7 day free trial..

the 7 day free trial was from a credit monitoring company, to which they charged my account 29.95, I called and complained and they refunded my money and canceled my account. end of that story..

I am on disability and am on limited income, I get paid once a month. when the 29.95 went through it left me with 6 dollars in the bank, so day after they put back the 29.95 bellalabs takes out 87.85 which puts me in overdraft, the bank charges 5 a day for accounts in overdraft (which I think is wrong and just stupid, they can see I don't have money, why punish me for it?)

in my searches to resolve this problem I found this:

----------
    1791.1. As used in this chapter:
    (a) "Implied warranty of merchantability" or "implied warranty
    that goods are merchantable" means that the consumer goods meet each
    of the following:
    (1) Pass without objection in the trade under the contract
    description.
    (2) Are fit for the ordinary purposes for which such goods are
    used.
    (3) Are adequately contained, packaged, and labeled.
    (4) Conform to the promises or affirmations of fact made on the
    container or label.
    (b) "Implied warranty of fitness" means (1) that when the
    retailer, distributor, or manufacturer has reason to know any
    particular purpose for which the consumer goods are required, and
    further, that the buyer is relying on the skill and judgment of the
    seller to select and furnish suitable goods, then there is an implied
    warranty that the goods shall be fit for such purpose and (2) that
    when there is a sale of an assistive device sold at retail in this
    state, then there is an implied warranty by the retailer that the
    device is specifically fit for the particular needs of the buyer.
    (c) The duration of the implied warranty of merchantability and
    where present the implied warranty of fitness shall be coextensive in
    duration with an express warranty which accompanies the consumer
    goods, provided the duration of the express warranty is reasonable;

but in no event shall such implied warranty have a duration of less
    than 60 days nor more than one year following the sale of new
    consumer goods to a retail buyer.

Where no duration for an express warranty is stated with respect to consumer goods, or parts thereof,
    the duration of the implied warranty shall be the maximum period
    prescribed above.
    (d) Any buyer of consumer goods injured by a breach of the implied
    warranty of merchantability and where applicable by a breach of the
    implied warranty of fitness has the remedies provided in Chapter 6
    (commencing with Section 2601) and Chapter 7 (commencing with Section
    2701) of Division 2 of the Commercial Code, and, in any action
    brought under such provisions, Section 1794 of this chapter shall
    apply.
    -------------

I think it says that the 7 or 14 day free trial is illegal that customers have 30 days to return a product, and that a company cannot refuse a returned product.
    this particular quote came from California code to which bellalabs is located.
    (I also sent in a complaint to the BBB)

I am not a lawyer, is this what it says?
    if not, is there any laws/cases or precedents that specifically addresses my situation?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

also there is something wrong with the terms of the 'free trial'

bella says:
    -----
    At this time, you have been charged the full retail price of $87.63 for that initial 30-day product supply after your 14-day trial period expired. The 14 days are from the original order date as we explain in the terms and conditions you agreed to when you originally placed the order. We have never offered a 100% money back guarantee. We have cancelled the account from all further billing and shipping as of today's date. If you have any other questions, feel free to reply to this e-mail or call customer service during our regular business hours. To verify, here are the terms and conditions on our website you agreed to:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

You must pay a shipping and handling fee of $4.95 for us to send you a full 30 day supply of Bellalabs. We ship the product the day after you place your order (except that orders placed Saturday-Sunday will be shipped the following Monday). You will have 14 days from your original order date to see if Bellalabs is right for you. If you are unhappy with the product at any time during those 14 days, you must call us at 1-877-767-9942 and cancel your order to avoid being billed for the full cost of the product. If you are satisfied with our product, then do nothing we will bill you $87.63 for your initial order, and every thirty days thereafter we will send you a new 30-day supply of our product, and automatically bill you the low price of $87.63. To cancel automatic delivery and billing, call us at 1-877-767-9942 or email us during normal business hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 4pm Pacific Time. Please read our terms and conditions for more details.
    ---

so regardless of anything
    they charge 87.63 a month
    how is that a 'free trial'?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

well gee, i thought everyone knew there isn't any such thing as a "free trial".
    that's what these organizations depend on, that you would be unwilling to read the entire terms and conditions.

the local internet (comcast) ran similar things such as a ridiculously low rates but the terms and conditions stated that you had to agree to a 2 year plan at the full price.

the old adage is true, "there is no such thing as a free lunch".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

anyone wanna buy a bottle of wrinkle cream for 63 bucks? (my overdraft)
    its worth 87.63..

8. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

I have to say that would never sign up to anything like that, especially online. It's usually going to be a scam.

9. CHRIS.Q Registered Senior Member

What is this, I thought it was advertising

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Make sure that your bank does not let them take any more money from your account.

I think that you have a reasonable chance of recovering your money.
    You have a US equivalent of the British small claims court.
    http://www.usa.gov/topics/consumer/complaint/legal/small-claims-court.shtml

(This looks right, but double check that it's the right site.)

When you start your case, they may just give up.
    If the court finds in your favour, and the company doesn't pay up
    you can go back and they will enforce it.

That's if you like a fight.
    If the matter is stressing you out,
    you might be better off putting it down to experience.

11. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

I have been searching the internet for options, I have even searched for 'lawsuits against bellalabs' found several sites dedicated to complaints against them, but as of yet, no lawsuits against them that I am aware of.
    I did sign up at one site to begin a lawsuit, but it is dependent on where they would get their money, if it becomes a class action lawsuit I would think the lawyers would get their money from the company not from us..but then again I do not know.

personally I think it should be illegal to have anything less than 30 days to return a product, and it doesn't make sense to me for a company to NOT care about customer satisfaction.

but yes..i think its gonna boil down to live and learn.

12. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

so you are saying it is ok for companies to do this?

13. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

on 3/11 they charged me the 4.95 shipping
    on 3/22 they charged me the 87..
    this is 11 days..not 14

I called and they tried to say it was from the date of ordering which they claim was on 3/7
    but!
    according to their own terms and conditions they ship the product out the day after the order was placed.(see above)
    so this means they did NOT ship the product the day after I ordered they shipped it on 3/11 so according to their terms, they are in breach of contract.
    I will be seeking a laywer.

I did communicate this to them and they offered a 25% refund, to which I told them send me the 25% and you will be hearing from a lawyer for the rest.
    (they try'd to tell me if I sent a laywer they wouldn't give me the 25%..)

anyone know any good laywers?
    I wanna see about making it a class action lawsuit as others are in the same predicament as I (I know I have seen the complaints online)

14. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

Bellalabs terms and conditions in its entirety

I just got to thinking..

if I could find a breach according to their own rules..

how much more so can some ppl here at sciforums, who seem to be great at finding flaws in the way something is phrased..

any one up to the challenge of reading through all their terms and conditions to find loopholes and contradictions?

um,isnt that illegal? or dependent on when a claim is filed?

wait.. I paid 87.63..plus 4.95 shipping.. 87.63 + 4.95 = 92.58.. ?
    this is where I start to get confused..

see, all orders are shipped the day after, not four days later.

wait..wtf???

oh..i was reading the terms and conditions from the main page of bellalabs.com
    I clicked the link on that page for "14 day trial"
    the only terms and conditions on that page :

it doesn't mention holidays...

oh and forgive me guys, I am gonna post the whole terms and conditions here, as I just realized the implications of my first comment.

15. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

Terms and Conditions

CAREFULLY READ AND AGREE TO PURCHASE TERMS BELOW BEFORE ORDERING:

ATTENTION: This is a binding agreement between You, the person or entity agreeing to the terms contained in this document ("You", "Your" or "Customer"), and BellaLabs ("BellaLabs", "Our" or "Company") the owner and administrator of this Website and all content and functionality contained herein.

IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU REVIEW THIS DOCUMENT IN ITS ENTIRETY BEFORE ACCESSING, USING OR BUYING ANY PRODUCT THROUGH THE WEBSITE.

1. INTRODUCTION

A. These terms and conditions, as well as any additional terms, conditions and covenants referenced in or made available by hyperlink in this document (collectively, these "Terms" or this "Agreement"), govern Your use of and access to this Website and any and all of its sub-pages (collectively, the "Website").

B. This Agreement is intended to be governed by the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act. You manifest Your agreement to the terms in this document by any act demonstrating Your assent thereto, including clicking any button containing the words "I agree" or similar syntax, or by merely accessing the Website, whether You have read these terms or not. It is suggested that You print this form for Your personal records.

C. BellaLabs reserves the right to revise, amend, or modify this policy and Our other policies and agreements related to the Website at any time and in any manner, without prior notice to You. Accordingly, You should periodically check this page for any modifications of these Terms.

D. If You do not agree to be bound by these Terms, You may not enter, access or use the Website, or purchase any products through this Website, and You should exit the Website immediately. By accessing, using or ordering products through the Website, You affirm that You have read this Agreement and understand, agree and consent to all Terms contained herein. You further agree not to use or access Website if doing so would violate the laws of Your state, province or country.

E. At the bottom of this page appears a "last modified" date. If the "last modified" date remains unchanged, then You may presume that no changes have been made since the "last modified" date. A changed "last modified" dates indicates that this document has been updated or edited, and the updated or edited version supersedes any prior versions immediately upon posting.

2. ORDERING PRODUCTS THROUGH THE WEBSITE; POLICIES.

Our product is offered in varying packages for purchase as follows:

A. 1 Month Supply for $89.99

B. 2 Month Supply for $114.99 Plus 1 Free Bottle

C. 3 Month Supply for $139.99 Plus 2 Free Bottles

SHIPPING:

All orders are shipped via United States Postal Service First Class Mail. We ship the day after you place your order. Orders placed on the weekend will be shipped the following business day. Packages will arrive within 3-5 business days. Please be advised that shipments are not sent out on Saturdays, Sundays, or any Holidays. We do not guarantee arrival dates or times.

REFUNDS AND RETURNS:

A. We want You to be satisfied with Our Products and Our services. If You are ever not satisfied with any Product that You ordered, You may call Our Customer Service Department toll-free at 1-877-767-9942 and request a refund. If you are calling about refunding a purchase made over 30 days from the purchase date our customer service team will handle it on a case by case basis. More stipulations to our refund policy are as follows:

B. Customers are restricted to receiving a single refund per Product ordered. Repetitive refunds are not permitted unless the Product, as delivered to You, is defective. BellaLabs reserves the right to refuse a refund to any customer who repeatedly requests refunds or who, in BellaLabs’s judgment, requests refunds in bad faith.

C. In order to process Your refund, You must supply BellaLabs with Your name and delivery address. If You provide us with insufficient or incorrect information, Your refund will be delayed.

D. Depending on the bank that issues the credit card You used, Your refund can take up to thirty (30) days to appear on Your credit card statement. If You have any questions about whether a refund has been issued by BellaLabs, please call Our Customer Service Department toll-free at 1-877-767-9942.

E. Credit Card Descriptor. By ordering Products from BellaLabs, You authorize BellaLabs to charge Your credit card accordingly. This authority shall remain in effect until and unless You have cancelled future orders of the Products as described in this Agreement, above. Please be aware that the descriptor (or subject line) that appears on Your credit card entry will refer either to BellaLabs or, alternatively, it will refer to the type of Product ordered (e.g., Platinum Membership/subscription). If You have any questions about the descriptor on Your credit card statement, You should call Our Customer Service Department toll-free at 1-877-767-9942.

F. Modifications. We reserve the right to modify the prices charged for the Products, or to add or remove any Products, from the Website at any time without prior notice to You. Price quotes provided to You prior to any price modification shall be honored.

G. Billing Errors. If You believe that You have been erroneously billed, please notify Our Customer Service Department toll-free at 1-877-767-9942 immediately of such error. If We do not hear from You within thirty (30) days after such billing error first appears on any account statement, such fee will be deemed acceptable by You for all purposes, including resolution of inquiries made by Your credit card issuer. You release us from all liabilities and claims of loss resulting from any error or discrepancy that is not reported to Us within thirty (30) days of its publication.

3. REPRESENTATIONS; DISCLAIMERS

A. It is Our intention to provide You with the finest products available, and we believe in the efficacy of every Product we sell. You understand, however, that Our Products have not been evaluated by the FTC, and Our Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Individual results will vary, and not every trade is will make you money.

B. You agree that You either have consulted, or will consult, with a physician before taking any of Our Products, and You will cease immediately taking Our Products if You experience any ill effects or unintended side effects of any Product.

C. We endeavor to provide You with accurate information about Our Products. You understand and agree that the information we convey about or Products and/or the efficacy of Our Products, is obtained from independent third parties such as news agencies, scientific reports, and scientific / research entities ("Third Parties"). We do not warrant or represent that such information is error-free, and we do not represent or endorse any Third Parties or the methods that they use to arrive at their conclusions. All Product specifications, performance data and other information on the Website is for informational and illustrative purposes only, and do not constitute a guarantee or representation that the Products will conform to such specifications or performance data.

D. We do not warrant or represent that Our Products will provide You with any particular benefits, or that Your results will match those of others who consume Our Products. Individual results will vary from person to person.

E. You must refer to the manufacturer’s specifications or warranty documentation to determine Your rights and remedies in this regard.

4. OWNERSHIP; INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY.

A. The Website, and all images and content at the Website (collectively, "Materials"), are the sole and exclusive property of BellaLabs or its licensors. No license or ownership rights in or to any of the Materials are conveyed to You by virtue of this Agreement or by Your purchase of any Product from the Website.

B. The Materials are protected by the copyright and trademark laws of the United States. Unless otherwise permitted by law, none of the Materials may be reproduced by You without BellaLabs’s prior written permission.

5. YOUR REPRESENTATIONS. You hereby represent and warrant that:

A. You are age eighteen or older;

B. You have read this Agreement and thoroughly understand the terms contained in this Agreement;

C. Any Products You purchase from the Website will be used for Your personal, non-commercial use;

D. You will not re-sell, re-distribute or export any Product that You order from the Website;

E. BellaLabs has the right to rely upon all information provided to BellaLabs by You;

F. BellaLabs may contact You by email, telephone or postal mail for any purpose, including but not limited to (i) follow-up calls, (ii) customer satisfaction surveys, and (iii) inquiries about any orders You placed, or considered placing, at or through the Website.

6. RESTRICTIONS: Without the express prior written authorization of BellaLabs, You may not:

A. Duplicate the Website (except as expressly provided elsewhere in this Agreement or as permitted by law);

B. Create derivative works based on the Website or any of the Materials;

C. Remove any copyright or other proprietary notices from the Website or any of the Materials contained therein;

D. Frame or utilize any framing techniques in connection with the Website or any of the Materials;

E. Use any meta-tags or any other "hidden text" using the Website’s name or marks;

F. "Deep-link" to any page of the Website;

G. Circumvent any encryption or other security tools used anywhere on the Website (including the theft of user names and passwords or using another person’s user name and password in order to gain access to a restricted area of the Website);

H. Use any data mining, bots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools on the Website;

I. Use any device, software or routine to bypass any operational element or to interfere, or attempt to interfere, with the proper working of the Website, server or activities conducted therein; or,

J. Take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the Website or its network infrastructure.

7. TERMINATION.

A. This Agreement shall remain in force as long as You access the Website, use any functions or features of the Website, or order anything from the Website.

B. We reserve the right to terminate this Agreement without notice and/or refuse to sell to anyone who We believe, in Our sole discretion,

(i) has violated any of the terms of this Agreement,

(ii) is abusing the Products or the services we provide, or

(iii) is unable to provide us with sufficient information to allow us to properly identify the customer’s real name, address, or other contact information.

8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY; NO WARRANTIES.

A. In no event shall BellaLabs or its officers, directors, employees or subcontractors be liable for any indirect, special, incidental, exemplary, consequential or punitive damages, under any cause of action whatsoever including but not limited to contract, tort, strict liability, warranty or otherwise, for any claim, cause of action, fee, expense, cost or loss (collectively, "Claims") arising from or related to this Agreement, the Products, or Customer’s use of the Website or any Product.

B. Except as otherwise specifically stated in this Agreement, the Website and all Products and services provided to You are provided "as is", without any warranty whatsoever.

C. You agree that BellaLabs’s entire liability for all Claims shall be limited, in the aggregate, to the lesser of (i) USD $500.00, or (ii) the total amount of money You paid to BellaLabs in the one (1) month period immediately preceding the incident on which Your Claim is based. This limitation of liability shall apply for all Claims, regardless of whether BellaLabs was aware of or advised in advance of the possibility of damages or such Claims.

D. The warranties and representations specifically set forth in this agreement are the only warranties and representations with respect to this Agreement, and are in lieu of any and all other warranties, written or oral, express or implied, that may arise either by agreement between the parties or by operation of law, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. None of these warranties and representations will extend to any third person. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties, so some of the above exclusions may not apply to You.

9. INDEMNIFICATION. You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless BellaLabs, its officers, directors, shareholders, employees, independent contractors, telecommunication providers, and agents, from and against any and all claims, actions, loss, liabilities, expenses, costs, or demands, including without limitation legal and accounting fees, for all damages directly, indirectly, and/or consequentially resulting or allegedly resulting from Your misuse or inability to use the Website, or Your breach of any of these terms and conditions of this Agreement. We shall promptly notify You by electronic mail of any such claim or suit, and cooperate fully (at Your expense) in the defense of such claim or suit. If we do not hear from You promptly, we reserve the right to defend such claim or suit and seek full recompense from You.

10. NOTICE. Any notice required to be given under this Agreement to You may be provided to You by postal mail or by email. If notice is sent by email, such notice shall be sent to the last known email address that You provided to Us, and shall be deemed delivered once sent. Notices by customers to BellaLabs must be sent in writing to the following address: BellaLabs, Attention: Legal, PO BOX 99852, San Diego, CA 99852

11. FORCE MAJEURE. BellaLabs shall not be responsible for any failure to perform due to unforeseen circumstances or to causes beyond Our reasonable control, including but not limited to: acts of God, such as fire, flood, earthquakes, hurricanes, tropical storms or other natural disasters; war, riot, arson, embargoes, acts of civil or military authority, or terrorism; strikes, or shortages in transportation, facilities, fuel, energy, labor or materials; failure of the telecommunications or information services infrastructure; hacking, SPAM, or any failure of a computer, server or software, for so long as such event continues to delay the BellaLabs’s performance.

12. MISCELLANEOUS. * Governing Law. This Agreement and all matters arising out of, or otherwise relating to, this Agreement shall be governed exclusively by the laws of the State of Nevada, excluding its conflict of law provisions. Venue for any matter arising from or related to this Agreement shall exist solely and exclusively in Douglas County, Nevada, and the parties hereby submit to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts sitting in Douglas County, Nevada for such purpose.

* Rights to Injunctive Relief. Both parties acknowledge that remedies at law may be inadequate to provide an aggrieved party with full compensation in the event of the other party’s breach, and that an aggrieved party shall therefore be entitled to seek injunctive relief in the event of any such breach, in addition to seeking all other remedies available at law or in equity.

* Assignment. The rights and liabilities of the parties hereto will bind and inure to the benefit of their respective assignees, successors, executors, and administrators, as the case may be.

* Severability. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction or an arbitrator finds any provision of this Agreement, or any portion thereof, to be unenforceable, that provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible and the remainder of these Terms and Conditions will continue in full force and effect.

* Attorneys’ Fees. In the event any Party shall commence any claims, actions, formal legal action, or arbitration to interpret and/or enforce the terms and conditions of this Agreement, or relating in any way to this Agreement, including without limitation asserted breaches of representations and warranties, the prevailing party in any such action or proceeding shall be entitled to recover, in addition to all other available relief, its reasonable attorney’s fees and costs incurred in connection therewith, including attorney’s fees incurred on appeal.

* No Waiver. No waiver of or by BellaLabs shall be deemed a waiver of any subsequent default of the same provision of this Agreement. If any term, clause or provision hereof is held invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, such invalidity shall not affect the validity or operation of any other term, clause or provision and such invalid term, clause or provision shall be deemed to be severed from this Agreement.

* Headings. All headings are solely for the convenience of reference and shall not affect the meaning, construction or effect of this Agreement.

* Complete Agreement. This Agreement constitute the entire agreement between the parties with respect to Your access and use of the Website and Your ordering and use of the Products, and supersedes and replaces all prior understandings or agreements, written or oral, regarding such subject matters.

* Modifications. BellaLabs reserves the right to change any of the provisions posted herein and You agree to review these terms and conditions each time You visit the Website. Your continued use of the Website following the posting of any changes to these terms and conditions constitutes Your acceptance of such changes. BellaLabs does not and will not assume any obligation to provide You with notice of any change to this document. Unless accepted by BellaLabs in writing, these terms and conditions may not be amended by You.

Customer Service Hours of Operation:
    8 AM – 4PM PST M-F & 8AM-12PM PST Sat-Sun

Phone: 1-877-767-9942
    Bellalabs
    3722 Las Vegas Blvd. S #3001E
    Las Vegas, NV 89158

16. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

how much of that am I too stupid to realize its illegal?

17. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Umm... None of it's illegal. Immoral, unethical, just plain shitty? For sure. But, sadly, all legal. If you can still get that 25%, just take it, and see it as a lesson learned... Just my 2 cents.

18. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I agree. Unfortunately, these schemes are a dime a dozen. I suggest people remember those old adages, "there is no such thing as a free lunch" and "there is a sucker born every minute" when one sees these schemes. These schemes are unfortunately all too common place. Companies often like to bait you into a sale with the offer of a free or cheap goodie. In this case the goodie wasn't so cheap.

Paying to submit your opinions via a survey is like paying to receive a prize in my book. It just doesn't make sense. The company should be paying you for your opinions, not the other way around. In this case you paid to submit your opinions via a survey by agreeing to purchase goods with automatic billing and payment. The survey and prize were baits to get you into a sale.

As I see it NMSquirrel, you have a few options. First, you can file a complaint with the consumer section of your state's attorney general's office. Two, you can file a complaint with The Better Business Bureau and post your experiences on line as you have done in Sciforums. Additionally, you could sue alleging this to be an unconscionable contract law under article 2 section 302 of the Uniform Commercial Code. However a law suit would cost you thousands of dollars and there is a strong possibility you could lose. And even if you won, you would have to collect, which would likely cost you even more money. And in the end, you could wind up with all the bills and nothing to show for it. And I don't think it likely you are going to find a private attorney who would be willing to take this on a pro bono basis. It is up to the court to determine what is and is not unconscionable. So your best option is to report them to your state’s attorney general and The Better Business Bureau and be a little wiser the next time you run across something like this. Hopefully your coming out with your experience will help others if not yourself. Your state attorney general’s office is in the best position to help you. They have the resources and expertise to handle these situations. You may also want to report this to the Federal Trade Commission. They have a section which addresses consumer complaints. http://www.ftc.gov/

http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-302

If it helps, know that you are not alone.

http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/bellalabs.html

http://www.bbb.org/san-diego/business-reviews/skin-care/bellalabs-in-del-mar-ca-172002497/

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sheri...BELLA-LABS-SCAM-ON-THE-ELDERLY-Sparks-1002823

But you need to be a good consumer too. And you need to read the disclosures as painful and as onerous as that might be. Automatic billing and payment is commonplace both in the consumer and commercial market places. But you really need to be cautious when you sign up for them. You need to understand what you are signing up for before you sign up.

And the banks are not trying to punish you. They are just trying to make a quick buck. I suggest you try to keep a little extra in your bank account - a just in case balance for times like this.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  19. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

Joe thank you for your constructive post, it was very helpful.

1. Umm... None of it's illegal.

I don't think you read it gremmie, too quick to say none of it is illegal.
    if there was a section saying they would come to my house and take my stuff if I didn't pay would that be legal?
    what if it said they would take my first born?
    yes I know these two example wouldn't be in a normal contract but the statement of 'none of it is illegal' says that just because it is written in a contract makes it legal, to me this isn't right, I think of old school lone sharks.. "if customer does not pay within 7 days then we have the right to come to your house and break your legs.." would this be legal in a contract?
    of course not, just because its in a contract doesn't make it legal.

now for further news, this I just got from the BBB that I had reported them to.:

MESSAGE FROM BUSINESS:

At Bellalabs every customer is given the right to try their first 30 day supply without charge for the first 14 days. After the 14 day trial period, if the customer is unsatisfied with their product, they are to return the remainder postmarked for return within their 14 day trial period and also contact customer service to notify a request for cancellation. If the customer keeps their 30 day supply after the 14 days, they are automatically billed for their product on the 15th day and then automatically shipped and billed a product every 30 days thereafter. The customer has the ability to cancel at anytime by calling customer service or emailing support@bellalabs.com. If a customer needs to contact customer service, the phone number is listed on www.bellalabs.com, the product, the pamphlet, and the package the product is shipped in. The terms are disclosed clearly on www.bellalabs.com where the customer would have ordered their product. The customer has to also click "I agree to the terms and conditions" twice before the order is processed. If the customer does not "agree" to the terms, the order will not process. The terms and conditions are disclosed directly on the ordering website not only on the bottom of the first page, but also highlighted in a large white box on the second page where the customer inputs their card information as well as sent out with the product. The consumer placed the order on 03/7/14. This is when they paid the initial $4.95 and this began the 14 day trial period to sample from the initial 30 day supply. Since there was no notification of a request for cancellation and/or a returned product during the allotted trial period, the consumer was automatically billed for the 30 day supply on 03/22/14 as explained in the terms and conditions for which they agreed to. The consumer contacted our company on 03/23/14 with a request for cancellation and the call was disconnected after this confirmation. The account was canceled immediately as instructed and they were sent a confirmation email confirming the cancellation. The consumer called back to customer service on 03/24/14 and based on the nature of the call, the customer service agent issued a partial refund of $21.91. The consumer would have received an e-mail confirmation of the cancellation and refund. The refund will take three to seven business days to credit back.

As we are fully invested in customer service, and due to the customers dissatisfaction, we have refunded the remaining charge of $65.72 back onto the customer's account. He will receive an e-mail confirmation regarding this refund.

YES!!!
    I got the 21 dollar notice, hopefully the other will be here soon.
    (still aint in bank, but it takes a couple days for that..)

moral of the story..
    learn how to be a bitch, it gets things done..
    (learned that from my ex,)

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Sad, but true Squirrel... I often try to reason with a company first, only to find that, in the end, I have to resort to being an utter asshole to get things done. It leaves me feeling... dare I say, dirty...? but in the end it gets the job done. The few companies that actually listen to reason though, often end up with me as a customer for life (key example, OCZ Memory - they not only honored a warranty period after it expired on a solid state hard drive that failed prematurely, but when they realized they didn't have any in the US to send me, they overnighted me one from Taiwan... literally, it was on my doorstep in under 36 hours! Crazy! And that was the SECOND time they were replacing it! That's customer service baby!)

21. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

easier said than done..
    I have always had difficulty keeping a buffer in the bank, now that I am on limited income, its even harder.

could you live on 800 a month?

22. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Would be hard for me to live on 800 a week... Homes are high priced here in So. Cal. You couldn't even rent a studio apartment for 800 a month... Don't know how you make it.

And, you're right, I didn't read the entire thing... My attention span isn't what it used to be. Glad you're getting all your money back. Being on a fixed income is defineatly not easy, I'm on one now... But, I've been lucky enough to have built a little nest egg... So, I'll be OK in that respect. I'm in no way trying to belittle or disrespect you here, but, I hope you take something from this incident... Always read the fine print, and as many have said, no such thing as a free lunch... Companies are always looking to make a buck. You spoke up, and it worked out. So many don't, and that's how these scammers make their money.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

"Live and learn"
    Not necessarily. I was only suggesting that option if you felt that it would cause you stress.
    It isn't worth it for $80 to upset yourself.
    A good mindset would be to mentally write the money off, but endeavour to cause them as much difficulty as possible.
    That way, if you get the money back it's a bonus.

I wasn't suggesting that you use lawyers, but that you use online methods to process your own case.
    You can do this in the UK and the USA for a small fee.
    From what I've heard, the adversary will often fold early.

If the word "free" was used the item should be free.
    It is a dispute over the item's cost price.
    You have been overcharged.
    They are con artists.

Try googling "small claims court" and the name of your country or state.

You could start by emailing them and threatening them with the small claims court unless they refund your money.

Added later.
    Sorry, I didn't read everything on the thread.
    Are they refunding your money now?