High Suicide Rate In France

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Sorcerer, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Here's a map. Redder equals more suicides.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And here is a map of Gun Ownership. Darker equals more Guns per head of popuation:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I was wondering if there was a correlation.
    I think there is a rough connection, but it isn't that simple obviously.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

Interesting. The Russians have always been that way inclined, I think. Maybe it's the weather, or the vodka, or their version of roulette....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Life in Russia continues to be fairly miserable for a lot of people. To endure cold dark winters is bad enough, but the Russian addiction to autocracy and secret police must make it ten times worse. Where else would a secret policeman be elected president? Horrible. And yet, individual Russians are very good company! (If you keep a Geiger counter handy.)

8. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

That's true, but a lot of other countries must be as bad or worse in terms of being a place to live. I wonder whether the Russion psyche is the issue.

9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Well yes, but surely what are debating is what gives rise to that psyche. At least, that is what I am trying to speculate about.

10. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

That's a point. Maybe it's the accumulated weight of history bearing down on the people, making them what they are. Maybe we should send some smiling happy people there....

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

C'est etrange indubitablement.

12. CHRIS.Q Registered Senior Member

Why are there so many suicides

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Because life is absurd.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Many times people have mental health problems and either do not get treatment or think they can figure out how to overcome their suicide thoughts themselves. People should always seek professional care if they have suicidal thoughts and if those professionals do not help then find other professionals that can. Not all professionals are the same and some treat people different ways.

You must tell whoever you find if the medications are helping or not because if you don't your not receiving the help you need because of your own stupidity.

15. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Suicide rates run in families, then in cultures.
    Having had a relative or acquaintance commit suicide raises your chances of committing suicide (monkey see monkey do-sort of thing?)
    Males are 4 times more likely to commit suicide than are females.
    Teens(and early 20s) have higher rates, then the rates drop until old age, where they rise again, occasionally eclipsing the teen rates.

(so, if you are an old man who has had family and/or friends commit suicide, you are at much greater risk than the general population).

I see no correlation between gun ownership and suicide.(except, perhaps by choice of method)

I was banned from one blog for stating:
    "Suicide has been said to be the ultimate act of a man of action"
    (wild guess---the moderator didn't know the definition of the word "ultimate")

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

When I was tempted, mental health professionals made it much worse.

17. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Life is absurd but I doubt many suicidal people think of that.

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I am all for trying to figure such things & see if people can be helped but we should keep in mind that some countries or groups will naturally be worse than others. It would be a huge freaky coincidence if they were all equal.

19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

What?
    They don't think that suicide is a last futile act in protest against a futile existence?
    In that case, suicide has no point at all.

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I think the vast majority are focused on ending the suffering. What's the point of ending the absurdity.

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

True. Very true.
    Suicide as an escape from misery and suffering.
    Oddly, I've never considered it as that.
    Is that why most people kill themselves?

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Then as I pointed out move away from those that can't help and try another. You won't have to change to many times until the right one is found but never ever give up trying for my life was saved by the good ones.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There was recently a report in the Washington Post about a study of people's feelings about the future. IIRC, in the USA people tend to be pessimistic about their future quality of life until their 40s. Then they start to feel happier about the future.

The report gave the cutoff point for quite a few nations.

What I found most shocking is that the average Russian doesn't start to feel hopeful about the future until his nineties. Considering that only a small fraction of the population reach that age (in any country!), it doesn't say much for life in Russia. The vast majority of people die before ever having an excuse to be optimistic!