Lorentzian Spacetime Structures of Finite Age

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Eugene Shubert, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Eugene Shubert Valued Senior Member

I have a simple cosmological riddle, and the answer, which seems to imply the existence of an absolute frame of reference for every model universe of finite age that has a Lorentzian spacetime structure:

“Why is the universe not infinitely old? Because waiting an infinite amount of time takes too much time, especially toward the end.”
    http://everythingimportant.org/relativity/special.pdf

How could a Lorentzian spacetime structure of finite age not have an absolute frame of reference?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. brucep Valued Senior Member

lol

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Eugene Shubert Valued Senior Member

In other words, you don't know how to create a mathematical model of a Lorentzian spacetime structure of finite age (finite history) that has no absolute frame of reference.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. brucep Valued Senior Member

How long you been whining about this? And does anybody care? Apparently not.

8. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Alexander Friedmann proposed a model consistent with GR in 1922.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann–Lemaître–Robertson–Walker_metric

Here's a solution for a flat universe dominated by dust and a cosmological constant and isotropic components of the metric \(T\) in Einstein's equations.

\(-c^2 d\tau^2 = -c^2 dt^2 + a(t)^2 ( dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2) a(t) = a_0 \left( \frac{t}{t_0} \right)^{\tiny \frac{2}{3} } \frac{d a(t)}{dt} = \frac{2}{3} \frac{a(t)}{t} \frac{d a(t)}{dt} = -\frac{2}{9} \frac{a(t)}{t^2} \rho(t) = \frac{3}{8 \pi G a^2(t) } \left[ \left( \frac{d a(t)}{dt} \right)^2 \right] - \frac{\Lambda c^2}{8 \pi G} = \frac{3}{8 \pi G a^2(t) } \left[ \frac{4}{9} \frac{a^2(t)}{t^2} \right] - \frac{\Lambda c^2}{8 \pi G} = \frac{1}{8 \pi G} \left[ \frac{4}{3 t^2} - \Lambda c^2 \right] p(t) = \frac{\Lambda c^4}{8 \pi G} - \frac{c^2}{8 \pi G a^2(t)} \left[ 2 a(t) \frac{d^2 a(t)}{dt^2} + \left( \frac{d a(t)}{dt} \right)^2 \right] = \frac{\Lambda c^4}{8 \pi G} - \frac{c^2}{8 \pi G a^2(t)} \left[ -\frac{4}{9} \frac{a^2(t)}{t^2} + \frac{4}{9} \frac{a^2(t)}{t^2} \right] = \frac{c^4}{8 \pi G} \Lambda \)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  9. Eugene Shubert Valued Senior Member

That doesn't answer my question: How could a Lorentzian spacetime structure of finite age not have an absolute frame of reference?

10. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

The "how" is General Relativity -- for I have given you a Lorentzian structure (first line is a metric) and this structure has a locally-defined frame of rest given by its isotropic matter content (this is not a preferred coordinate frame, but rather one special to the matter distribution being discussed) and a well defined notion of hypersurfaces of infinite spatial extent of constant t-parameter that all observers co-moving with the isotropic dust will agree is a time-coordinate that terminates at t=0 at infinite density.

11. Eugene Shubert Valued Senior Member

Essentially, an absolute frame of reference means that there is a frame-dependent law of physics that would enable an experimenter to distinguish one frame over another. One could call “co-moving with isotropic dust” to be a frame-dependent law of physics but suppose that your isotropic dust doesn’t interact with ordinary matter. Let’s suppose that we’re in a universe described by a metric determined by this undetectable isotropic dust. Would it still be possible to distinguish one inertial frame over another?

12. Eugene Shubert Valued Senior Member

You are, of course, mistaken to refer to the symbol \(T\) in Einstein's equations as the metric.

13. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

My mistake was omitting the "and" between metric (which I displayed explictly) and T (for which I displayed the uniform density and isotropic pressure terms).