Random Notes

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tiassa, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It slays me that "Che" is in my iPhone dictionary. I'm pretty sure that of all the texts I've written, he hasn't come up.

(Feel free to add your own random notes, observations, &c. That's the point.)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol

the iphone autocorrects words i don't need corrected, yet leaves 'as is,' literal word scrambles. :/ it has a mind of its own, i've concluded.

my random comment...

hope everyone finds some fun this weekend...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Makes perfect sense for a revolutionary to have Che in their iPhone. My mother swore her computer had demons, hmmm, wonder what that makes her?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

True 'Nuff

Well, yeah, but that's the thing. I loathe touch-screen keying. The few times I've tried to post here with my iPhone have driven me nuts. I'd rather wait until I can have a real keyboard; as an aside, the new rubberized ones cut my typing speed in half.

So ... nothing I would have written on my iPhone would have touched on Che. I mean, literally. I hate responding to email, when it's a yes or no question, via email, and I hate keying on that thing enough to not bother saying, "Why don't you send this as a text?"

Which, yes, is as paradoxical as it sounds, when you get right down to it.

But I'm accustomed to SMS. It's useful. It's also pointless from a desktop or laptop computer, so perhaps I simply regard it as part of the essential communication device that is my mobile phone, as opposed to nifty bells and whistles like internet and email.

8. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Random quote...

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

- Oscar Wilde

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

No Difference But the Difference

So here's a conversation that I occasionally hear or, indeed, experience. Let's try ... the cleaning aisle at the supermarket:

"What?"

Oh, nothing. Just trying to figure out the difference.

"What difference?"

These two labels. I don't know, they look like the same thing.

"No, the labels are different."

(I figure the actual difference today was that one was intended for a Canadian shelf; the basic design of the labels was the same, but the slogan and accent fonts were different; the brand font was a different printing of the same font; there was French on the less-vivid, older-font-looking label. Somehow or another, a bottle destined for BC ended up on the shelves in my neighborhood. Nothing truly unusual, but it was just a noticeable difference in the labels on two separate containers of the same product.)

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Spite and Confusion

There are reasons I believe what I believe. Well, most of the time. But that doesn't always mean I can explain it.

Think of it this way: The best motivation to quit smoking cigarettes is spite.

I've long known that; I quit for eighteen months once, just to spite the cigarettes.

No, really, my best nicotine-free run in the last twenty-two years has been eighteen months, and I did it for spite.

Take the note. I did it again. Only, this time, I did it to spite someone else.

Damnedest thing.

Funny thing is I always said I would quit when pot was legalized.

And if I explained anything more, it would only confuse you.

12. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

...moderate...proper use...can stop spite...alleviate confusion...moderate use...

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

On the Sanctity of Marriage

On the Sanctity of Marriage

Myriad are the political points I could make, but if Britney Spears' brief marriage to some idiot, or Woody Harrelson's hilarious marriage and annulment with Neil Simon's daughter, don't make the point, there really is no point to such pointed pointing.

There is an upside, however ... sort of.

Okay, not really.

Thing is, my cousin's eldest son is getting married today. I'm not attending in large part because I was never invited, but also because if I was actually present at the ceremony I would be obliged to stop the marriage.

The young man isn't healthy; I'm not saying he should never get married, and I don't mean he's going to drop to cancer in the next couple years. Despite the questionable proliferation of autism and Asperger's spectra in recent years, he's a genuine, certifiable case. I mean, he's nice, and he's not especially erratic or anything, but ... how to put it ... er ... ah ... he's ... well, he's just not very smart.

The young lady isn't exactly a case study in mental health, either. I'm not certain what her diagnosis is, but I've only ever met her once, and that was long before the wedding plans.

My summary of today's wedding is that it's not really a marriage, but two children playing husband and wife.

I wasn't going to say a damn thing; not here, there, or anywhere.

Except I just found out the latest punch line: They never bothered getting a marriage license.

Well, okay, I shouldn't say they never bothered. But between his parents and grandparents, her mother and grandmother, all of the proximal family, and even the preacher who will officiate the ceremony, nobody ever told them they needed to get a marriage license. And, apparently, the idea never occurred to either one of them, either.

We might also note it is explained to me—albeit tacitly in the context that there is no other way to assemble the information so that it functions—that nobody is stopping this disaster because it would be inconvenient to do so.

Furthermore, it's all but explicit that I'm not allowed to interfere. A couple years ago I caused a scandal in this wing of the family, so I generally don't involve myself in that political dynamic.

14. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

So it seems you have divowced yourself from this mawwiage.

15. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Tiassa, if no one has, prior to this point in your stint of "doing time on planet earth", I sincerely welcome you to "life" - another one of "those 4-letter words", it seems, at times!
    The current situation, as described very "nicely" by you, I must add, is being experienced (or more precisely, endured!) by more people, and more often as these times proceed!

May I present you with two small...thoughts(?) I guess...that occurred(?)...or entered(?) my mind...while reading and contemplating your Post?

!. - David Lee Roth (original Lead singer with Rock group "Van Halen") once opined :

"Marriage is a like a Three-Ring Circus, you have an Engagement Ring, a Wedding Ring, and then the Suffer Ring!"

2. - If you have not already - you must watch the movie "Idiocracy"!

Link to IMDB : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

G'day

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Many people like the idea of marriage, and that's about it. **shrug**

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Notes Around

And that's exactly what today's wedding is about. Her big day. And his chance to do what he thinks he's supposed to do.

• • •​

Well, yeah, but I'm also estranged from the idea of marriage in general.

I used to say I would quit smoking cigarettes when pot was legal; I live in the Evergreen State, so that's good enough, and two weeks ago or so, I quit smoking cigarettes as an act of spite to make a point to someone within the family.

Then again, I also used to say I would never get married because gay marriage was illegal, so I wouldn't take part in a sexist institution by sacred bondage to a woman. I live in Washington State ... does that mean I have to come out of the closet, now?

Sure, the preceding question is hilarious to some people, but there are still islands of uninformed in my Universe, and in truth I'm not enlightening them unless I have a relationship worth noting; I used to make the joke that I would come out of the closet or not when I figured out the answer to the question.

(I really don't care what the answer to the question is; I have no intention of fulfilling my half of life partnership at this time, so it just doesn't matter.)

But, yes, I generally hold myself estranged from marriage,though in this particular case ... well, yeah, the upside I mentioned previously: I'm not wasting my afternoon at the wedding and reception.

• • •​

The anecdote that comes to mind for me is the one about Abraham Lincoln pardoning a Union deserter. The kid abandoned the field to marry a girl. Lincoln allegedly shrugged, discharged the kid, and waived the desertion charge on the grounds that marriage was penalty enough.

18. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

@ Tiassa,

Have you ever considered writing any, and I do mean any kind of book on anything. I do so enjoy your writing, wit and your overall take on issues.

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Thus, the concept of how the television show, Bridezillas came to be.

But, I digress.
    I think it interesting you were not invited...and I'm sure you are most grateful for that.

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Kinda sorta but not really

Sort of, yes. Indeed, my mother wasn't even invited. But my cousin, the groom's mother, invited her to the bridal shower, and the bride's grandmother—who's pretty much running this show, has raised the girl for the last several to many years, and wants her out on her own at some point in the near to immediate future—insisted she come. And since that cousin and I are on nod-and-wink terms right now, refusing to recall neither my transgression nor the fact that time has made certain points for me, it all works out.

To the other, it was only because my mother was asking me about Husky Stadium that I realized this is a big weekend for college football; the season is as on as it can get. So I picked up some beer, and am having holy communion with my television set, a pigskin, and ... er ... wow, that really sounds bad, doesn't it?

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Lol @ "holy communion"
    Sounds like you will be having a MUCH better time, me thinks.

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Immortally Better

Immortally better. Fifty-four IBU worth of Chinook, Amarillo, and Centennial hops at 6.3% ABV.

23. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yup yup! You be havin' a MUCH betta time!

"Refreshing and oh so hoppy..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.