Question for an Athiest

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by LionHearted, Nov 30, 2002.

1. LionHearted Registered Senior Member

To an athiest, what makes us different from the animals?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Nothing. We adhere to instincts and adapt to our surroundings. Only thing is we questioning our instincts. If a flock of birds questioned why they migrated they'd probably think it was beautiful. Things like emotion and beauty are simply our AWARENESS of our instincts. Of course that AWARENESS could be argued as the the gift from God by theists. I am athiest but I do see the validity of the argument. Let me return a question, if a species much higher than us came along, don't you think it would group us in with the animals? Ever looked at a highway system and noticed the similarities of an ant colony? This isn't by chance... What are the ants doing? Going from one spot in which the colony needs it to another. Just like humans going from work to contribute to society, then home to raise the next generation of society...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Brainpower.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Self awareness. I think most of us know we need food to survive. Do animals know they need food to survive, or do they just know they need food?

*Edit: So I guess, as Cris said, brainpower. Essentially the only difference is the difference of adaptable traits (including self-awareness and other brain functions

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2002
  8. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

But self-awareness is just the result of increased brainpower.

Try the mirror test. Most animals will not recognize themselves when they look in a mirror and usually think they are seeing another animal, although many do not react because they also use others senses, e.g. smell, and mirrors do not reflect scent. But chimpanzees, and gorillas, are able to recognize themselves in mirrors. This is a simple level of self-awareness and is not entirely limited to humans.

9. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

LionHearted

Roughly defined, 'Animals' are multicellular organisms with the
    capacity for locomotion, restricted growth, pronounced response
    to stimulii, and fixed body structure. By definition Humans are
    'animals' as much as dogs and cats are.

On a sidenote, Humans are the most dominant 'animals' on the
    planet (for now anyway).

10. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

This is like asking "What makes a dog different from a ferret?", they're both animals, they just have different characteristics. For us, these characteristics come mainly in the form of greater intelligence and upright bipedal motion (though chimps can walk upright, and I'm sure there are some other animals that can, we do it all the time though). We're just smart animals, basically.

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

Humans are smart critters, still critters, still animals. calling us not animals is wrong, since humans are animals. thus the qustion is irrelvent.

Waht seperates humans from the other animals is that we're smarter than any other animal any other seperatin is simply human prejudics.

Whether you're an athist or not is irelleven., since this is just simple logic. unless you're a creationist, in that case you don't use logic.

12. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

A bat has radar senses, does this make it not an animal?

13. Xev Registered Senior Member

A human is like a hyper bat. Just more intelligent.

14. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Bats use sonar.

15. DeSeRt RaT UK Registered Senior Member

A little while back they did a mirror test with dolphins. The dolphins discovered it was themselves.

16. whatsupyall Banned Banned

Cris said it, brainpower is what makes us different from animals, thats it, the rest are just a result of that high intelligence, from detecting color, to self awareness, to understanding of concepts..Our High intelligence is what makes us dominant. "The mind is the seat of wisdom", Knowledge comes from God...

"my WORDS are spirit and life"- Jesus, and your brain is where the words dwell....From yor brain to your heart, etc..

Im definitely not an atheist..

17. DCLXVI Bloody Bastard Registered Senior Member

I had a parakeet with a brain the size of a small pea, even she knew it was herself in the mirror.

18. whatsupyall Banned Banned

yeah, cris is wrong for saying that. Parakeet does recognize themselves in the mirror..

19. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Right, I knew that... I feel like a dunce now, lol

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

what makes us different from the animals?

James and Carol Gould present a theory suggesting we are "closer" to animals then previously understood. If so, the only noticeable difference between us imo, is whether or not animals kill for sport.

21. spookz Banned Banned

first the believers claim animals have no souls
    now heathens call the animals stupid

is there no end to man's arrogance?
    answer me this! (dammit)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

I believe bacteria is the most dominant lifeform. They exist everywhere. We are dependent on them for our digestion. They can kill us. We attempt to kill them through anti-biotics but they are learning to adapt.

They have no aging cycle, so if they can find nutrition then their lifespans are open ended. They have already been around since life began so have already outlived us by millions of years.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

nothing - we are animals
    what do you do not like about it?