What are your thoughts about: Street Light Interference Phenomenon?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Manuel.Dolorica, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Manuel.Dolorica Registered Member

Street light interference, or SLI, is an alleged anomalous phenomenon where a person seems to turn off (or sometimes on) street lights, or outside building security lights, when passing near them.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Complete and utter silliness.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Where do you come up with such nonsense? You say things that you can't provide any data to prove that it is actually happening, only your opinions based on your delusions of reality.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Clearly he must be a warlock using a deluminator.

8. Manuel.Dolorica Registered Member

Nonsense? Opinions based on delusions of reality?

I haven't even given my opinion on the matter yet--so that just makes your opinion nonsense and delusional. The one above is the DEFINITION of the said phenomenon.

So we get to talk about aliens, premonitions, and other weird stuff on this forum/site, but not this? They post about Black-Eyed Children on here. Oh wait, that's perfectly normal--and scientific. That's not weird at all.

Before you say my opinions are based on my delusions of reality, make sure that yours aren't. Just to make sure you get this, here's the reality: I.. HAVE NOT.. GIVEN.. MY.. OPINION.. ABOUT.. SLI PHENOMENON.. YET. Hope that's real enough.

You just can't talk to people you disagree with like that and expect to get away with it every single time; because people are going to talk to you depending on how you talk to them. If you didn't know that, now you do. If you still plan on replying to this thread, your next reply better be about your thoughts on SLI. It is what I asked. It is what I expect people to answer. If you don't know what SLI is, do some research before you reply. Don't pretend you know everything when you don't even know the topic. It's not rocket science.

For others: If, and only if, you have thoughts about the matter, let me know. I'd like to hear them.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

No, I'd say it's just as weird.

Naah, not worth it. It's like asking if the Moon is made of cheese. Not really worth discussing.

A more interesting question is - why do people believe this hogwash? Probably due to a few factors:

1) Observational bias. When someone is looking at a malfunctioning streetlight they are near it. If it goes off and on in their presence they may falsely assume "it only does that when I am around?" Such bias is similar to the people who believe their refrigerator light is always on because they never see it off.

2) Motion controlled lights.

10. Manuel.Dolorica Registered Member

Finally! A real person I can have real discussions/conversations with--who agrees that 'Black-Eyed Children' is just as weird as this. LOL.

Thanks for a great opinion.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's an example of confirmation bias. In animals, it doesn't take very many times for a phenomenon to reinforce conditioning. It takes many more times to break that conditioning.

12. CHRIS.Q Registered Senior Member

You always like to say such things...lolo