The field is a real entity

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Brainiac, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Brainiac Banned Banned

The field is that which is an entity. Not only is it real, it is the only reality. I.e. the field is reality. However, it cannot be interacted with at one's whim, it would require something special, perhaps a soul or spirit. Personal experience may be the only evidence so far.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

It seems Einstein was referring to fields as particular configurations of spacetime. That's how he conceived gravity, as a curvature in spacetime. The question remains open as to what CAUSES these geometrical configurations. Implicit here, in keeping with the proprioceptive metaphor of twisting or shaping, is the idea of force, as perhaps nothing more than just a metaphor. A force that can form or deform spacetime as though it were an otherwise formless substance. But the field IS the force. Gravity is both the warp in spacetime and what is warping spacetime. We are left with an irreducible entity--a field/force that originates itself out of nothing. A perplexing metaphysical conundrum to say the least..

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Brainiac Banned Banned

Yes! Indeed! :bravo:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

"a field/force that originates itself out of nothing." Totally inaccurate. Gravity is a force dependent upon the presence of matter, it does NOT originate from nothing. So is your statement about gravity being the warp in spacetime. Gravity CAUSES the warp it is NOT the warp, as does acceleration - which cannot be distinguished from gravity.

Obviously your education in basic physics is lacking.

8. Undefined Banned Banned

My naive understanding of GR is that gravity is curvature of spacetime caused by massive presence which causes that curvature around it. So mass affects surrounding spacetime and the curvature effect is gravity which affects other masses within effective reach of that curvature called gravity which causes gravitational interaction between masses towards each other. Then gravity is the curvature but the curvature is caused by masses, so masses make gravity by curving spacetime.

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Just ignore the ignorant troll. I knew gravity was the curvature of spacetime. What I didn't know is that mass but not gravity causes that curvature. Is mass therefore a force exerted on spacetime? Also, at the micro level, it seems gravity IS a force of attraction caused by gravitons and no longer a curvature. Obviously there's much work to do on reconciling these two aspects of gravity together.

10. Brainiac Banned Banned

The field and matter are not equals. The field is more fundamental than matter. Perhaps, as Magical Realist said, the field is spacetime itself if I'm not mistaken.

11. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Spacetime, or the curvature of spacetime, is not itself the cause of gravity, it is the result of gravity— it is a description of what the interaction of objects, in space over time, looks like to us! — Decribed in four dimensions.

Gravity does require the presence and interaction of mass, with either another mass or some form of energy, such as light— as in photons.

General Relativity is a description of how things interact, not what causes the interaction. IE GR does not describe what causes gravity— that is at least at present, something being approached from the context of quantum mechanics, in a variety of ways... So far without significant success.

In a very crude way you could think of the curvature of spacetime as like a whirlpool in a river, which is caused by the dynamics of how the water in the river and the riverbed interact... In the case of gravitation, we know that mass must be involved (the riverbed), but the nature and "substance" of spacetime (the water), in practice remains unclear... And thus the mechanism of gravitation, also remains unclear...

Personnally, I believe there is some promiss in approaching the underlying mechanism from the perspective of "Induced Inertia" and it seems to some lesser degree, from what I understand of "Induced Gravitation". (See papers by Puthoff, Rueda, Haisch & others, for information on "Induced Inertia and Gravitation.)

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You can ignore whoever you want - but it's us that are not willing to ignore YOUR ignorance! At least you were honest enough to finally admit - contrary to what you posted earlier! - that it's mass that produces gravity. Something that pretty much all kids in high school have understood for a very long time. So tell us: did you drop out of school to join the navy?

13. Brainiac Banned Banned

I wonder, if the field is the only true reality, then the existence of everything else must depend upon it.

14. Brainiac Banned Banned

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings, who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being -- I am that.

Amritbindu Upanishad

That which permeates all, which nothing transcends and which, like the universal space around us, fills everything completely from within and without, that Supreme non-dual Brahman -- that thou art.
    Sankaracharya

http://prahlad.org/gallery/nisargadatta/books/I-am-that-1.html

15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

you should post this in the religion sections if this is where you are headed.

I am who I am
    - Popeye