Do you want to be a Priest of the Church of Spiritual Survivalism?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Darth Behemoth, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Darth Behemoth Registered Member

I am looking for Priwsts who wish to be ordained. I am, of course, the High Preist of the Church of Spiritual Survivalism.

You may have sime questions about our Church. Here is some of the frequently asked questions:

Q: What God do you worship?
    A: Any. A god to us is a "Higher Power". Anything that would increase your chances of survival. It can be a principle-about anything. But you can't beleive in absolutely nothing.
    Q: What does a Priest do?
    A: He learns about farming, herding, pharmacological things and other things necessary to survival. Anything that is necessary for the Church members to survive.
    Q: What are services like?
    A: They are three parts: One is the Motivational Speech, which should have someone that has overcome death, and has survived. The second part is the Elder Sermon, where an Elder talks about things he has learned and shares hs or her life experiences. The third part isthe Law, where members recite the Law.
    Q: What is the spiritual part of it?
    A the spiritual part of it is the Law. The Law consists of ethical teachings from all major religions. It's basically ethical teachings, to reorganize society.
    Q: Is there a holy book yet?
    A: No, not yet. It will be written.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Q: Has the High Priest heard of a spellchecker?
    A: No, not yet.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

I'm already belonging to....

The Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) is the deity of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Pastafarianism, a movement that promotes a light-hearted view of religion and opposes the teaching of intelligent design and creationism in public schools.[3] Although adherents state that Pastafarianism is a genuine religion,[3] it is generally recognized by the media as a parody religion.[4][5]

The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" was first described in a satirical open letter written by Bobby Henderson in 2005 to protest the Kansas State Board of Education decision to permit teaching intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in public school science classes.[6] In that letter, Henderson satirized creationist ideas by professing his belief that whenever a scientist carbon dates an object, a supernatural creator that closely resembles spaghetti and meatballs is there "changing the results with His Noodly Appendage". Henderson argued that his beliefs and intelligent design were equally valid, and called for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism to be allotted equal time in science classrooms alongside intelligent design and evolution.[7] After Henderson published the letter on his website, the Flying Spaghetti Monster rapidly became an Internet phenomenon and a symbol used against teaching intelligent design in public schools.[8]

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qICoAw&usg=AFQjCNEU4dqm4sEmKuGr2o3Sqk06WWphfQ

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

The FSM predates 2005. The Flying Spaghetti Monster was being worshipped on NPR forums back in 1998.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think it's immoral to start a religion, even with good intentions.

9. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Darth,

What does your religion promise? I.e. What would be the benefit to me for following your religion? If it does make promises then what evidence can you offer that such promises can be fulfilled?

10. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

6th circle of Dante's Hell.

11. Changeling Registered Senior Member

I think it's immoral to start a religion, even with good intentions.

I found this to be an interesting thought, because a couple of years ago I did invent a religion. That is, I created a philosophical system with precepts, tenets, a cosmology and moral technology. I called it "Neoism," and created it mainly as a lark to codify my thinking at the time. I wanted to create a system which provided the benefits of religion, but, unlike most traditional religions, would actually be true. So, Neoism does not address gods, souls, afterlives, salvation, or any other topic about which nothing is known. It is grounded in the truth. For example, the cosmology of Neoism states that the universe began about 13.7 billion years ago with a sudden expansion event - as far as we know, to be revised as new information becomes available. Etc. It's cool.

But, I didn't actually "start" anything. I made up a system and told a few people about it and that was it. Nobody is actually doing anything about it. And I wouldn't know where to begin in trying to "start" it as a religion. So, hopefully not immoral yet!

The point is, I don't actually see anything inherently immoral about trying to create systems that work. Democracy and science were started with good intentions, and are sometimes subverted, but are still providing more workable ways to get answers and get things done than the alternatives. I think it would be possible to start a moral and philosophical system, similarly grounded in reality and what works, which could produce more good answers and get more done than the alternatives. I think it would be a good idea to start something like this.

12. Changeling Registered Senior Member

What does your religion promise? I.e. What would be the benefit to me for following your religion? If it does make promises then what evidence can you offer that such promises can be fulfilled?

Hi Cris! These are great questions and I'd like to answer them for the religion I created, Neoism. Thanks for raising them!

Neoism was created to be about the truth. So, the first thing it offers to provide is truth. That is, statements that correspond accurately to what they describe.

The incredible power of accurate understanding has produced an explosion of human achievement. This is evidence of the power of truth.

Secondly, Neoism offers Enlightenment, or relief from suffering. That is, Neoism states that accurate understanding of reality also creates personal benefits of clear thinking, compassion, and moral action. Neoism recommends spiritual technologies like meditation for learning focused attention. Plus, it describes a handy moral rubric for figuring out moral action in any situation.

So, the benefits of Neoism would be more understanding and better actions, which lead to more happiness. The evidence that this actually works is apparent for a similar system (from which I have liberally borrowed) called Buddhism. There is evidence that Buddhism does result in more happiness:

Studies show: Buddhists really are happier

Thanks again!

13. Darth Behemoth Registered Member

It's supposed to help you survive. Basically, you can believe in any Higher Power that you want to. Personally, I beleive in the Will to Survive. Basically, it's a principle that is present in all animals and plants. Everything (plants and animals) will struggle as hard as the can to survive. We see it all the time; creatures refuse to give up, even in the face of certain death. They strive to stay alive untill the bitter end.

I can promise nothing. I can't promise you heaven, an after life. But what can promise is that we'll teach you survival techniques that will raise your survivability. I can promise we'll stick by you, and you'll always have a safe place to go. I can promise you that if we grow, the Warriors will defend you with their lives. I can promise you, that should a disaster happens, and society comes apart, you more than likel;y will survive it because of what you learned in Church from the Priests and the Elders. Life has no gurantees, so like life its self, I won't promise you anything. I know myself that tommorow is not guranteed to you, and not even the next minute. But I'm a man of my word, and what I promise I keep.