A religious singularity

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by orcot, Apr 5, 2013.

?

would you feel

1. More safe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Less safe

100.0%
  1. orcot Valued Senior Member

Imagen that your still a young person and a scientist has developed a computer smart enough (and with the abilities) to make a even smarther computer (smarther then humans) that in terms could make a even smarther computer and this will go on for a infibute loop in short the singularity happens) By definition it will be impossible to imagen how this evolves but the initial computer has a certain set of values and morales would you feel more or less safe if one of these values was that it was religious?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Can you explain what you mean by "religious"?

jan.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orcot Valued Senior Member

Basically a following up from the Friendly artificial intelligence.

Any AI that is not explicitly friendly towards us will probably destroy us.

Their are many ways that tolerating a human society that use precious resources would be counter productive and risky for a AI(considering the elektro magnetic weapons and virusses people could create)

Therefore it's important that any AI has certain goals that are friendly towards human presence.

The question is would you feel more or less safe if this technological singularity was also programmed to be religious

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. orcot Valued Senior Member

the act of religion to me is a believe that remains constant no matter reality or occams razor.

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Not safe at all. Religion typically assumes a speciocentric view of reality such that YOUR species is favored by a divinity above all others. So any spiritual values a computer might evolve, such as the worship of some future infinite artilect, would no more include humans than OUR spiritual values include insects or bacteria. It's not even a matter of intolerance. Beings vastly inferior to you are not even recognized as moral agents deserving of rights or respect. When you swat a fly you don't ever think about what the fly will experience. It's simply assumed from the get-go.."MY existence and comfort automatically overrides the existence and comfort of this inferior being." Once computers figure out how to manufacture and power themselves without us, we can pretty much kiss out primate asses goodbye.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There are some kinds of intelligence that are dependent on having a human body, on having the experience of growing up as a human, so a super intelligent computer would always have a disability unless it could also have a sophisticated robot body, like the Cylons on Battlestar Galactica. I doubt the present paradigm of "programming" such a machine would apply. But religion is illogical, and I doubt it would have such a belief.

10. orcot Valued Senior Member

does it? The egyptian gods had to heads of beasts.

one of the reasons why a friendly AI should be developed in stead of a regular AI (this being basicly a working model of asimovs 3 laws)

Perhaps one of the reasons why a religious believe might be a good idea is because it's a static value in a logic mind you first assume something then test it and determine if it's valid or not it changes and it grows and as it learns values might change religion on the other hand yust assumes a value for true (or false) and doesn't bother to test it and ignores the values that contradict it it's very static and therefore predictable. I also remember Richard Dawkins complaining abouth a geologist (with a high degree) who's also a young earth creationist so giving it the ability to do double thinking shouldn't need to end up with scientific limitations

11. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

The religion IS knowing where you came from, who/what created you, and who/what you are. So the religion, or to be more precise,
    the object of relgion IS the original computer, not that the computer has religion. If you meant that the computer, while being programmed, had some
    notion of ''religion'' programmed in (ie: someones idea of Islam, or Christianity), then I would think it not safe.

jan.