Is coffee bad to health?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Saint, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

Is coffee bad to health?
    One day one cup of coffee, is it too much?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Since I don't care much for the stuff I don't see why people enjoy it that much. People are always adding things into the coffee like cream and sugar which, to me, makes the coffee taste totally different than just drinking it straight black without anything added. It doesn't taste that great, to me, without adding stuff to it so when I do drink a cup I really don't drink straight coffee but something else with all the sugar and cream I add. Vanilla Latte is now a drink I enjoy and once or twice a week I'll indulge in a Grande cup of the stuff but still add my sugar. I use brown sugar when I can find it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wellwisher Banned Banned

There is no one size fits all. Some people are dainty like orchids and need special conditions to grow. Others are tough like weeds, and can still thrive where others plants cannot survive. Culture tends to define things, like coffee, in terms of the orchids (weakest) and then assume even the weeds are orchids; one size fits all. This is irrational and should not be considered science because one side does not fit all. This can be easily proven in reality. Yet this "science" never learns.

A better approach would be a social experiment, so we can separate the orchids from the weeds. For example, we can have everyone drink 10 cups per day for a week to see who gets symptoms and who does not. Now we can create two standards, one for orchids and one for weeds, instead of just one. This is not perfect but is closer to reality.

This way we don't trip out and then divide culture by calling weeds, orchids or orchids, weeds. This division is not rational but is preferred by politicians and media. Rational standards do not create the same level of controversy, since logic takes way emotions. Irrational science, like one size fits all, is much better for emotional appeal because it is half lie.

Picture if an irrational science study was done that said the average shoe size in the country is 9.5. So we decide to make only size 9.5 shoes for all, since this is the average. This would also be totally irrational, even if true, since this size will be too loose for some and too tight for others. There will be some who have a perfect fit.

I am more of the weed, and can cope with coffee and not get wilt. But I also recognize some people are orchids and may need to find a more moderate way that suits their particular breed of orchid. There are also degrees of orchids. But don't force any of this on the weeds since that is irrational and not real science. Can be disprove in terms of application.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tero Registered Member

Generally speaking not, but it has little nutritional value. In some conditions it has caffeine problems.

8. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Hmmmm, well, men who drink 3 or more cups of coffee a day that are diagnosed with prostate cancer tend to have less aggressive forms of prostate cancer. Persons who consume 3 or 4 cups of coffee a day have lower rates of Alzheimer's. No, it is not spinach, but most people won't eat that even though it is nutritious.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I like a bit of evaporated milk in my coffee because I like the flavor of full roasted fresh ground mocha-java and the evap binds to some of the acid, making the cup of coffee a bit less astringent. The milk fat in the evap blends with the natural oils in the mocha-java to help round out the taste making it fuller. The smoke and chocolate notes are enhanced by the addition of a little evap, straight milk does not round the flavor and cream makes a fat layer on top of the coffee that I don't care for as it doesn't blend. I have no use for sugar in my coffee.

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Coffee and smokes, they go together well. I've been drinking coffee since I was a teen and know of no problems.

10. Der Großmann Registered Member

Not as far as I can tell.
    I'll have 3 or 4 per day, and I have them white with no sugar.
    There are far worse things in my diet which I sometimes eliminate and feel better for it. But I seem to feel the same whether or not I drink coffee.

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I heard coffee is good for your health. Read it somewhere, several times. I drink about four cups per day, with milk. It's bad for the colour of your teeth though.

12. river

From what I understand is that coffee replaces the natural neuro-transmitters , between neurons

Hence the need for coffee

13. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

I am sure there is more positives to coffee than negatives.

I think stuff like red bull goes too far, and should only be drank occasionally if you want it.

14. Nashton Registered Member

One cup a day will not do any harm, your body will just accommodate the caffeine it provides into it's natural rhythm. the only downside is that when that is done, not having coffee is bad for health until your body is done with withdrawals.

In extreme amounts, coffee could be bad for health, such as caffeine overdose. It would be hard to achieve but anything in enough concentration is toxic.

So in general, coffee isn't bad for health.

15. Username Registered Senior Member

Anything that alters your mood or sense of well being is a drug. As well as those used to treat the flu or some wide spread plague. The only difference is when someone wants to make the distinction between recreational drugs and those used to treat illnesses.

Caffeine is a drug just like nicotine and narcotics. Anyone that wakes up in the morning and says "I can't start the day without a cup of coffee or a energy drink." is addicted to caffeine.

16. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Painting with rather a broad brush and a weak knowledge base here, aren't we? Care to put up a few citations to back that statement up?

17. Username Registered Senior Member

What? That caffeine is a drug and considered a stimulant? Its like any other drug. It can be done in moderation, but can be harmful if done a lot or large amounts like any other drug. Especially for those who are sensitive to it. The reason why a lot of drinks have warning labels.

http://www.beveragedaily.com/Markets/Coffee-acts-just-like-cocaine-says-scientist

If you want to look up scholar articles you can do that too.

Why do you think people buy coffee anyways? It certainly isn't because it taste good. Hence, the reason why so many people add a lot of other garbage to it.

18. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I am sorry that you do not care for the taste of coffee. I, on the other hand, love the taste of freshly drip - brewed mocha - java coffee from freshly - ground & freshly roasted whole beans.

Your hypothesis fails as there are many of us who very much enjoy the taste, aroma and sensory experience of consuming coffee. Same goes for teas and carbonated beverages. We do not just suck them down because we are drug addicts, thanks.

On this science site, if you put forward a proposition you are expected to be able to back it up. This is why I asked you to do that. You have presented a link to an article wherein an individual proposes that consuming a caffeinated beverage is the same as consuming cocaine.

I have consumed both caffeinated beverages as well as cocaine and strongly disagree with that hypothesis based on personal experience. There is a vast experiential difference between drinking a cup of coffee and snorting a line of cocaine, smoking crack or injecting cocaine into a vein. That constitutes an exception to your hypothesis so it fails, as:

"No number of case histories can prove a hypothesis, but it takes only one to disprove a hypothesis."

Further, there are many people (self included) who consume decaffeinated coffee, non - caffeinated teas and sodas. Are they doing this because they are addicted to or craving caffeine? I think not. More likely they do so because they enjoy the beverages even if they have no drugs in them.

19. Username Registered Senior Member

Coffee is only good for two things. Making people take massive dumps or a poo for lack of better terms and a quick 3-5 hour rush depending on how strong it is.

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Isn’t coffee a vitamin?

If not, it should be!

21. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Only when you spill it on your crotch and burn the hell out of your gonads!

22. josephthomas134 Registered Member

Coffee doesn’t just keep you awake, it may literally make you smarter as well.

The active ingredient in coffee is caffeine, which is a stimulant and the most commonly consumed psychoactive substance in the world.

Caffeine’s primary mechanism in the brain is blocking the effects of an inhibitory neurotransmitter called Adenosine.

By blocking the inhibitory effects of Adenosine, caffeine actually increases neuronal firing in the brain and the release of other neurotransmitters like dopamine and norepinephrine.

Many controlled trials have examined the effects of caffeine on the brain, demonstrating that caffeine can improve mood, reaction time, memory, vigilance and general cognitive function.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Alcohol is the most popular psychoactive drug on earth. Caffeine is #2 and tobacco is #3, depending on how popularity is measured.

The vast majority of people who drink coffee or tea do so for the stimulant effect of the caffeine, not the flavor. If someone insists that he loves the flavor, he's probably expressing the effect of addiction. The brain associates the flavor with the psychoactive effect, causing him to go out looking for something that tastes like that.

Chocolate contains caffeine so if you buy the high-percentage stuff you're getting a fair amount. It's not easy to eat enough chocolate to get a serious caffeine jag (although some of us have developed the skill

), so most people eat it for the flavor and regard the stimulant as an added bonus. It also contains another psychoactive chemical, theobromine. It is similar to caffeine, except for having a much stronger effect on the heart. Because of this, many of us find that chocolate provides the energy boost of coffee or tea (if you eat enough of it), without the psychological effect, which can range from anger and impatience to euphoria and creativity.

One of the reasons for the popularity of alcohol and tobacco is that they affect almost everyone in the same way. (Nicotine is a mood-leveler. If you're too jagged it brings you down, if you're too down it brings you up, and you don't have to be enough in touch with your own feelings to know where you are!)

Caffeine isn't quite so consistent. Some people get crazy, others just become energetic. The half-life of the drug in our metabolism varies greatly too. For some people it's just a couple of hours, so if they have three cups of coffee with breakfast, by bedtime most of the caffeine has been metabolized. For people like me, it has a half-life of twelve hours, so if I have two cups for breakfast, by bedtime tomorrow night I'll still have the equivalent of a couple of ounces of coffee in me and it will make sleeping difficult.