Where is this new information coming from?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Motor Daddy, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I've been noticing numerous new breakthroughs in the science news lately. This new way of looking at things has suddenly appeared in a wide variety of areas in physics and science in general. Who is responsible for this breakthrough concept?

Just one of many articles lately:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130207192116.htm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hansda Valued Senior Member

This is a field of Physics named "quantum optics". Last year Nobel Prize was awarded for this.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

...and where is this new found information coming from? Why wasn't this known long ago? What is different now?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Scott Myers Newbie Registered Senior Member

This is simply the natural progression of scientific knowledge. You are nuancing that “where is all this new information coming from?”, as if, there is an outside source to the information, or there is some source that is transmitting information to our knowledge. The human capacity for learning, observing, finding creative solutions for things, is nothing outside the normal human experience we call life. This would be historically proven.

8. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Scott, your last name is spelled wrong. LOL

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm not implying that some supernatural existence is feeding us, if that's what you think I mean.

9. Scott Myers Newbie Registered Senior Member

It sounded as though this was something you were entertaining.... You must have a friend named MEYERS , bah! That's the wrong spelling thank You very much,

10. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

No, not a friend.

11. Scott Myers Newbie Registered Senior Member

I meant tongue in cheek, 'a friend of mine'. I already knew who you were speaking of..

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Where? Are you totally unaware that there are hundreds of research labs spread all over the world that are *constantly* adding to and improving our technical knowledge??? I find your question bewildering for ANY adult!

13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I actually would not consider this out of the ordinary (at least in the U.S.). There are a significant number of adults whom are unfamiliar with the mechanics of discovery and learning (which is a failure of our educational system as opposed to individuals).

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Nope, sorry - I'm not buying it. There are *dozens* of magazines that are always reporting on the latest developments, the Internet AND even the common TV medium (not much detail, of course, but they certainly do report it frequently).

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

The only way I could possibly demonstrate this phenomenon is to suggest going on a road trip throughout the U.S. and listen to what "average joe" is really saying or not saying.

16. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

The opening piece of the article talks about how someone has finally built a 'proof of concept' device. Someone did the theory at some point in the past and now someone has demonstrated it can be put into practice. This is important because simply having a good theoretical grasp of physics principles doesn't mean you can easily make us of them. For example, there are many algorithms known which could run on a quantum computer and many ways of building quantum computers put forward but presently technological challenges like maintaining entanglement get in the way. It's all well and good saying "Entangled particles can be used like this...." but if no one can make and maintain entangled systems for any reasonable length of time the concept isn't going to go much further in terms of practical use.