Have humans stopped evolving?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by rodereve, Jan 20, 2013.

1. rodereve Registered Member

It doesn't seem like there can be a strong natural selection anymore. There is no survival of the fittest, we don't live and die by predators and prey. We keep the weak alive, and there's affirmative action where we actually give advantage to the vulnerable groups, the minorities and the needy ones. By virtue of keeping the dumb and weak alive, have we stopped evolving as a race? Does it have something to do with resource limitations and population growth.

What's your view on this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

This is a thread that comes up about once a year. No, of course we haven't stopped evolving.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. rodereve Registered Member

What is your point, all ideas have been thought of, discussed and are being re-discussed throughout history of discourse. If we're just going through the motions here, does that mean we should stop? lol

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Someone told me let's see what was it. Oh ya...
    Guess we are evolving and mutating still.

P.S they are the same thing right? Evolving and mutating?

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You can do a search for old threads and see what they say. Both mutation and selection are still going on, especially in the realm of disease. Modern medicine is not universally accessible.

9. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Your interpretation of evolution is incorrect. It is "survival of the most adaptable". Aside from that, spidergoat has correctly answered your question.

10. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Sorry

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  11. rodereve Registered Member

Sorry it isn't my interpretation, "survival of the fittest" is a term used by Darwin in the Origin of Species. (lol) But if you'd like to know, you're actually wrong. The most "adaptable" doesn't necessarily mean it'll pass on their genes. Imagine you were an organism that was born in the Artic, and you developed the best mutation: your genitalia was mutated into a fire-producing organ to keep warm. Well, you'll never pass on that trait. That's why fitness = survival rate x reproduction rate. So yes, fittest is the appropriate term.

And what is wrong with re-discussing topics. Should we stop asking "Is there a God?" if its been discussed a million times before?

My question was more directed evolving in a modern day society. Is society slowing down the process of evolution by decreasing the load of environmental pressures (keeping everyone alive). And if we are not in the jungle anymore, what advantageous traits does natural selection select for now.

12. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh, your interpretation is definitely incorrect. If you understood evolution you would understand that it never ends. Consequently the term "survival of the fittest" was coined by Herbert Spencer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_of_the_fittest

Darwin didn't even introduce the term until the fifth edition of his book and: "...Darwin meant it as a metaphor for "better adapted for immediate, local environment...",".

There is never any guarantee of any kind that a life form will pass on its genes. You're not really making any kind of point.

Before you can start throwing "formulas" around, you may want to understand some core concepts. This is a decent layman introduction:

http://ncse.com/files/pub/evolution/Evolution--Futuyma--chap11.pdf

I don't think I claimed there is anything wrong with asking questions.

http://www.livescience.com/16358-human-evolution-natural-selection.html

13. rodereve Registered Member

I asked the question as more of a discussion starter, if I said "Humans are still evolving", I would be in the popular consensus lol.
    And you're arguing against strawmans. I never said Darwin coined it, I said he used it. And you did your research to prove that he used it, so you're supporting me instead (lol).

Yes that IS my point. You said "Most adaptable" is the correct use --no it's not, because that does not take into account the ability to pass on its genes. Fitness DOES.

Lol Fitness is a basic concept learned in any introductory biology university course, its literally like the first thing explained in the evo section. I took 4 years of this stuff, I don't need to read an introduction.

I was talking to spidergoat

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My son has no wisdom teeth. His orthodontist says he sees more of this than his dentist father did. Is that evolution? Do we really need wisdom teeth?

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

A good discussion may have been the different environmental pressures that humans impose upon themselves that result in evolutionary changes, but the thread title question is a "yes/no" question. I'll explain the point of what I stated about the phrase "survival of the fittest" because that appears to have been missed. Your original assertion was: "There is no survival of the fittest, we don't live and die by predators and prey.". In other words you explicitly used the phrase "survival of the fittest" and attached its meaning to a very specific context of predator/prey survival (which many people who don't understand evolution share). I stated that the phrase "survival of the fittest is inaccurate" and used "survival of the most adaptable". You said that was incorrect so I showed the source of where that phrase came from as well as Darwin's intended use of that phrase as a metaphor for adaptation.

Why is adaptability suddenly banned from reproduction? Arent sexual organs an adaptation?

By taking 4 years of "this stuff", you mean that you have a BS in evolutionary biology?

Some good ways of addressing other people are to quote who you are responding to or at the very least using the simplistic @ symbol (ex. @spidergoat: <write something here>).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  16. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

We need whatever teeth are necessary to eat the food we eat. If Mac and Cheese doesn't require the ol' wisdom's then they are are just kind of neutral towards our diet

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. arauca Banned Banned

Are we evolving physically ,intellectually or which way .

18. arauca Banned Banned

I see the removal of wisdom teeth as a good business for dentist, Every idiot now is taking them out. because they are bothersome. So lady let your son wait they will come out it all depends on the age.

19. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Much of our understanding of evolution comes from fossilized remains and teeth are ideal for such study. Apparently, the decline in tooth size has been underway for a considerable period of time.

http://www.uic.edu/classes/osci/osci590/4_3RecentHumanDentitionEvolution.txt.htm

20. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

I'm a bit of a rarity there. At 54, I still have all my wisdom teeth and they are no bother at all; I had enough room for them to come in normally.

21. arauca Banned Banned

So we are add balls , so is may fathers family , My son's are born in the new times in the USA , so they have been persuaded to take them out. I wonder it that will not follow the early medical mentality "we don't need the appendix " or the All American way " Hysterectomy " .

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

We used to. With modern dentistry - not so much. However, with modern dentistry there is also no drawback to having them.

23. rodereve Registered Member

I almost said the exact same thing in this prior post. Yes the question is a yes/no question, but give some people here credit, they're smart enough to answer more than "no". Sorry I didn't hold your hand the entire way here lol

I feel like this can all be resolved if you understand what Fitness is. By fittest, I don't mean like the strongest or most physically agile, I mean Fitness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitness_(biology))

Adaptation by itself doesn't have specifically have anything to do with reproduction. Your wings can be an adaptation. Fitness, inherently, does.

Nope, I have a HBSc and I majored in Physiology, but I've taken a few courses that studied evolution (comparative physiology etc.)

Duly noted, sorry for your confusion.