Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Saint, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

How fast is it traveling?
    May cause loss of lives?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

It's slow, about 9mph I think, which is bad news. People have already died in Cuba as a result, and no doubt more will die as it continues.

I may not be around this week, if it knocks power out in my area. I live in Upstate New York, which is right in the path of all the badness.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. seagypsy Banned Banned

Wow, duck and cover man, I need someone to butt heads with. So take that laptop and run like hell.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gerhard Kemmerer Banned Banned

It should be currently losing its power, contrary to weather forecasts. It is anticipated that the colder northern air systems will worsen it, but it is very likely to weaken within the next 12 hours.

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Methinks perhaps you should go back for a review of meteorology 101.

It's energy center is still offshore and though it will shortly begin to weaken, it's such a MASSIVE storm that there most certainly WILL be considerable damage done. The majority will be caused by storm surge. Also, it's going to hit during a period of high tide which will only add to the damaging effects of the surge.

9. Gerhard Kemmerer Banned Banned

Watch.

10. Saint Valued Senior Member

Will it bring very heavy rain and causes flood.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

yes and yes. Also yes Virginia, there is a thingy called Google, with fresh updates answering all your ponderables....

12. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Many of us can do more than that, Bub, we can also THINK!

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Of course it won't be as deadly here, that's not even being contemplated. It's primarily property damage that's being forecast. It's DUE to our better building codes and stronger infrastructure that everything is so *expensive*. The amount of damage that can be done to a $500 wristwatch far exceeds what could happen to a $5 watch. Compare the value of buildings and other structures all up and down the East coast to the more or less 'shanties' in the Caribbean PLUS the value of employee lost work and the cost rises very rapidly. For example, did you realize that fully 1/3 of the U.S. oil refineries are being completely shut down? That alone means the price of gasoline will rise across the entire nation.

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Here's yet another current news story and it underscores what I said about the high tides intensifying the impact of the storm surge: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49589316/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.UI6SFW_A_wk

Also, take note of the 10 million likely to lose power (for an unestimated period of time). And it doesn't mention how many businesses and industrial facilities will be without power BUT the lost productivity will be yet another unstated cost of the storm.

17. Balerion Banned Banned

It has strengthened overnight, with winds at the core up to 90mph from 70mph 12 hours ago.

Please don't turn this into one of your loony pseudoscience threads.

18. Promo Registered Senior Member

Where I live in Virginia you cannot find any bottled water, candles or batteries. We got hit real badly from the wind storm last June/July and my house was without power for 7 days. I do think this will have the same effect in my city. While I was watching the news this morning the reported stated that the center of Sandy could hit with 40 foot waves, If that’s the case how nasty is that going to be?

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I am opening up the betting lines on how many US death will be caused by Sandy. The winner takes it all.

I say 12.

20. Balerion Banned Banned

That's disgusting, and so are you for suggesting it.

21. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Conditions at NWHC3 as of
    (2:18 pm EDT)
    1818 GMT on 10/29/2012:

Wind Direction (WDIR):

ENE ( 60 deg true )

Wind Speed (WSPD):22.9 kts

Wind Gust (GST): 34.0 kts

Atmospheric Pressure (PRES):

28.91 in

This was taken from a bouy right outside New York so it isn't that strong at all.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=nwhc3

22. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

23. seagypsy Banned Banned

Don't ya love how some people who don't have to ride it out and never have had to ride it out think its no big deal.