Wave-particle duality is a special theory

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Ostronomos, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Ostronomos Banned Banned

Is there truly a duality in wave-particle duality that is exclusive to the quantum world? Or can it apply to all reality itself?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I think the question you are trying to ask needs to be re-worded as at the moment it is to me, totally confusing as to what you are actualy asking.
    I would also suggest that you consider all the presumptions you are implying... ie: wave particle duality v quantum world????

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ostronomos Banned Banned

I'm asking whether or not wave-particle duality theory applies to everything or is it specific to photons and electron and other subatomic particles.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I believe and may stand to be corrected, that the wave particle duality you talk of is essentialy associated with photons or more specifically electromagnetic radiation EMR

8. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Haven't the experiments been extended to include free electrons?

Think electron double slit experiment.

It likely can be assumed to apply to all charged fundamental particles, but I am unsure how one would test it with the shorter lived particles.

9. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Theory? I thought it is an observation.

10. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Every macroscopic object is made of microscopic particles such as protons and electrons. Therefore, it stands to reason that if microscopic particles have wave-particle duality, then so do the macroscopic objects they comprise.

Quantum effects don't stop applying above a certain size. Instead, what tends to happen is that you get decoherence - a kind of "smearing out" of the quantum steps and jumps into what looks a lot like a classical continuum.