Yay! Another Chick tract!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Xev, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Xev Registered Senior Member

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/5017/5017_01.asp

Yay yay yay yay! This one kicks "Death Cookie" 's pasty white ass, and is definitely up there with "Caught" and "Dark Dungeons" (although you really can't top "Dark Dungeons.)

Any other Chick enthusiests?

Blah, bad spelling.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. machaon Registered Senior Member

WHAT?

That could have very well been one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen in my entire life. Please tell me it is satire.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. machaon Registered Senior Member

Chick tracts...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Chick tracts have achieved their goal of letting me know that GOD sucks.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

Their hilarious!!!

I wonder if they take requests ..... "The Blasphemous BBSers"

See y'all in the lake of fire. Nice to know that they've got climate control

PS Theres a demon standing over my shoulder as I write this, sloppily drawn but threatening nonetheless

Just read another one.
    THE DEATH COOKIEEEE!!! HA HA HA HAW !!!

Nearly convinced me to convert ... to catholicism

Their lack of taste knows no bounds. Well they used to burn witches, I guess bad cartoons are a step up ... and much funnier

Last edited: Oct 4, 2002
  8. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

lol.. god sits in a lay-z-boy.

9. Cupric What's a wookie? Registered Senior Member

I wonder about those tracts sometimes...

How possible is it, do you think, that Jack Chick is secretly a Satanist or something, trying to drive people away from Christianity?

I remember getting those damn things for Halloween. They burn with really pretty colors, did you know that?

10. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

11. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

lol that was a classic i rem my friend gave me a box of thoses things one time told me its great reading man did i have a good laugh that night. its really chessie note: i cant spell

12. Platipus Modern Realist Registered Senior Member

Many atheists here, i see? Thats unfortunate.

13. Xev Registered Senior Member

Platipus:

Yup! More athiests here than in a gathering of theoretical physicists. Which says a lot.

14. hobbes Crazy about philosophizin Registered Senior Member

You really dont have to be a disbeliever to find that offensive.
    The dialog is soo unrealistic. Most of these scenarios seem to be a product of the writers imagination screened through and molded by his/her religious beliefs. Which wouldn't be so bad except clearly this person/'s has no idea about real people.

Its preachy and clueless at the same time. Of course its going to offend anyone less then a blind believer,that being a believer who gets his/her beliefs from the people around em, not from there heart or god. Peoples who never examine or question there beliefs and believe it sacrilegious to do so.

Plus, beyond the unrealistic dialog where there isn't people who actually talk like that. If god was throwing anyone,even the worst sinner into any lake of fire for eternal torment that would be a very sadistic and cruel thing for god to do. Making it a rather sacrilegious thing to believe. Noting that many Christian view the matter differently and see the bible as saying something else other then a literal lake of fire where god throws people in to torment them forever for there disobedient. Its your basic mindless scare tactics.

15. Ekimklaw Believer in God Registered Senior Member

I know how much atheists hate tracts

Go ahead and laugh, but remember, mocking laughter is a vice, not a virtue.

Thousands of people have been awakened from complacency by Chick tracts. Sure some of them are a bit controversial and even extreme, but they are intended to be that way in order to cut through the noise.

It occurs to me Chick must be doing something right to set you atheists off like this...

-Mike

"First humans mock what they cannot understand, and then they slander what threatens their opinions. If that doesn't soothe their angst... they mean to kill it." -- Nigel Hurst

16. Xev Registered Senior Member

Mike:

We're laughing at him, not with him. Believe me, anybody who could write Dark Dungeons and thus be the not-so-proud father of the bizillions of parodies it spawned.

17. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

18. Ekimklaw Believer in God Registered Senior Member

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mike--2 points

I've found that atheists are still humans, and not all of their concerns are necessarily atheistic. Chick comics contributed to my own atheism for the same reason they set off our current atheists: they're idiotic. While it might seem a positive thing to some that Chick Tracts "awakened" many "from complacency" is a little frightening. I mean, the Bolsheviks awakened people from complacency and look at where that got them. If the God that Chick describes is the one unto which the sleeping souls awaken, it's not necessarily a good thing. Given a choice between awareness and ignorance, I think ignorance is, for once, preferable. At least, then, a person is ignorant on their own. Chick tracts lower the standard of intelligence in faith, and beyond any objection to God comes a natural human objection to anything that lowers the standard of human thought and, therefore, the quality of human life.
    Quite humorous. Thank you. I must admit that I do occasionally wonder what Falwell would be capable of if he just pulled his head out of his ass.

The sad thing is that Falwell is still a notch or two above the Chick comics. It's a little frightening to think about such a monumental waste of energy.

You know how some sayings have a shallow interpretation and a deep one as well? Like the Sufi phrase, "I haven't learned anything"?

When someone says that God works in mysterious ways, Chick comics and Jerry Falwell are among the shallow interpretations. While such a saying ought to be reserved for more notable occasions, it is true that evangelists like Chick and Falwell leave many people wondering what God's up to. Such poor representation, of course, is God's own business.

thanx,
    Tiassa

20. tony1 Jesus is Lord Registered Senior Member

*Originally posted by tiassa
    Chick comics contributed to my own atheism for the same reason they set off our current atheists: they're idiotic.

What "own" atheism?

You have some pretty detailed ideas of what God is like to be an atheist.
    If you really were an atheist, you wouldn't have any ideas of what he was "like," because he wouldn't exist in your world.

Besides, you're a goddess-worshipper, which pretty much defines you as a theist, unless you have some specific ideas that atheism is restricted to being anti male gods only.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Tony1

You see, Tony1, when people tell me they think you're intelligent on some level--e.g your alleged wit and pith--it is things like this that I think of and then smile about how wrong they are.

Really, if you can't account for the passage of time, you're a fucking idiot.

Really--try harder. Do better. Or don't bother.

Atheism is a malady from which I have already recovered. How tough is that to figure out?

I mean, given the number of my posts you choose to respond to, I would have thought you would read at least one or two of them.

Tiassa

22. machaon Registered Senior Member

A reply to Mike about those dang tracts

The CHICK tract should disturb Christians as much, if not more, than they entertain athiest. If your job is to assimilate-I mean convert, then it should be obvious that cartoons drawn by a schizophrenic are not going to be THAT helpful.

23. hobbes Crazy about philosophizin Registered Senior Member

Its not about how much atheists hate tracts

But Ekimklaw.. Don't you realize extremism creates backlash extremism to the other extreme? These chick pamphlets are dishonest. They paint unrealistic pictures of both people and heaven/hell. In the end it will drive more people away from chritianity then ever bring in.

Those who won't hear a shout may strain to hear a whisper. If they really want to get the message out more honesty and realism\less extremism would be much more affective.

Putting in there message of real life examples of evil and temptation and how the bible applies to these without absurd scare tactics.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2002