Supress sexual desire?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by darksidZz, Jun 2, 2012.

?

Answer

Poll closed Jul 2, 2012.
  1. Yes

55.6%
  2. No

11.1%
  3. Unsure

22.2%
  4. I have tried

11.1%
  5. I have failed

22.2%
  6. You are so hot!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I am so hot!

11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Is it possible to suppress your sexual desire?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neverfly Banned Banned

Suppressed them far more often than I'd like to admit to. It definitely can be done, just fine.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

It used to be called a job. Anything that constitutes work. Even for those who are in the profession, as it were, as they seem to be (or so I'm told) utterly bored.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Anything is possible if you really want to achieve it. But why would you want to suppress a natural behavior? It seems that suppression could lead to other problems within your mental makeup if they aren't fulfilled.

8. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Sure... But, why would you want to?

It's just part of being human.

Now "acting" on every desire is a different story...

You can wind up a daddy, or beaten up, in jail, or dead...

Or, any combo of the above, depending on the circumstance.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  9. lemont Banned Banned

temporarily yes, but it comes back

10. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I think certain former inmates take medicine to do so. Why do you ask?

11. Nasor Valued Senior Member

What do you mean by "suppress"? I can distract myself so that I don't think about it, but I don't think I can will myself to not find someone physically attractive.

12. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Why don't we examine the definition of 'suppress'?

'Suppress' is a word of broad application.

I would suggest that our upbringing and societal pressures endeavor to teach all of us to suppress or control inappropriate sexual desire.

The mind is quite capable of restraining the body from pursuing action on sexual desire or impulse. With training, the mind can be conditioned to ignore thoughts of a sexual nature and the body can likewise be desensitized to physical stimulation.

Sexuality varies by individual and age and some persons have intense physical desire while others may have little interest.

While I consider it entirely possible (and normal) to suppress sexual desire, I do not know if it is possible (or desirable) to eliminate the feeling thereof completely.

The acting upon must be suppressed. Experiencing the sensation, in an appropriate venue, is a normal human activity, in my opinion.

Perhaps it is easier to avoid showing arousal for a woman, as our physical state is not quite as obvious as that of a man. I speak from experience, as I have been endowed with health and healthy appetites of all manner and have spent my life in learning to master them.

I so love frozen chocolate yogurt but must show restraint, lol....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. elte Valued Senior Member

I'm gonna say, indeed, suppress it if you can find worthy pursuits as a replacement since I say that sexual drive is a tyranny of nature. Also, in mankind's future, I'm for doing away with the sexes altogether. Now, I can look back on sex matters as having been a loss of time that I could have used to do something that matters. I'm not intending to be sensational or getting a rise here because I really look at things and say to myself, will something I'm doing be praise-worthy in a future history book? So much we do really doesn't matter and what is popular or faddish in a culture is least likely to make a difference for the good.

14. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I want to add that some catholic priests could not suppress it

15. niko Registered Member

Because a desire may be damaging in other ways

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm not clear about what you meant. But since we all know from personal experience that it's possible to not act on our sexual desire, I'll assume you meant repress. This word can mean to actually deny, reduce or control the feeling of desire itself.

We all have a modest ability to distract ourselves from something that arouses desire, to count backwards from 1000 by 7's, to imagine our mother standing in the room and glaring, or to imagine that the person we desire is someone else whom we don't desire. This can work for a few minutes, until we catch our breath and start to simply suppress the desire and behave like a civilized person.

Some people can repress their feelings for longer time periods, but it's not clear that this is healthy. They're stuffing them down into a deep dark place where they'll fester. One day they may come bursting out, having changed under pressure into something evil. You might lose your composure and say something inappropriate that reduces people's respect for you. Or you might actually act on your desire, which can get you into a lot of trouble unless you have the good fortune to have found someone who secretly desires you too--and that only happens in movies anyway.

Yogis, etc., claim to have found the way to repress feelings they don't want. Perhaps it's true.

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

You could try thinking as vividly as possible of something disgusting, such as dog crap or vomit, every time you feel sexual desire. That's what I do anyway.

18. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I'd argue that they could have, but chose not to.

19. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

They did for years. Then some flipped a switch an chose not to. Hmmm nope don't buy it. They are similar to Jerry Sandusky. They couldn't help themselves. They were presented with a opportunity. An they took it ( Mainly against ones will ).There for they could not suppress it. In my view, an opinion, Repo.

20. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

You could just cut stuff out.

Google the phrase 'the skoptic syndrome'.

Have fun.

21. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Anaphrodisiac.

The perfect ingredient in your daughters boyfriends cookies.

hmmm.....

If you can find any legal ones.

22. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Or this: 'Kalin, 1979'.

23. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Yet those priests are now located somewhere else taking advantage of other children while Sandusky goes to prison for doing the same thing. I do not think that letting priests go free to molest more children elsewhere is a very smart nor legal thing to be doing.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!