Democracy doesn't work...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kx000, May 16, 2012.

1. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Democracy doesn't work if idiots vote randomly, or with out knowledge or theory. Remember when only white men got to vote? That was still democracy. How about only the smart get a vote? If you care about your vote meaning something you should hands down agree with me. Thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

When you introduce hurdles to voting like testing or a poll tax, you also subvert democracy. I say democracy doesn't work when money controls the process.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Not just ONLY WHITE MEN...but only white men 'of property'.

In England, not ALL adult males were eligible until the early 1900s.

I prefer a meritocracy as you describe...with voting rights earned by passing an aptitude test on constitutional law.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Well I disagree with that statement because who will set the standards....only the "smart" people? That will lead into even more problems because everyone is affected by laws and legislation that is passed by those who are voted into office. I'd never want to return to the day when we only had about 15 percent of the population being able to vote for they only approve of themselves as the ones who should vote. Your idea was tried and only helped the few who were in charge for a brief time thankfully.

8. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Lmao. So memorize the current law before getting to vote? How about aptitude test in fellow man and morality?

9. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I set the standards. It was my idea. Lmao. Their dim vote effects everyone for the worst.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

The opening post misses the entire POINT of voting. You assume you vote to get the best goverment but your wrong, you vote to keep the worst OUT. If groups are eliminated from the right to vote then they become easy pickings for goverment exploitation because they can't BECOME politically active and vote against them based on the policies which effect them

11. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Their vote is as good as your vote for they make up the society just as you do. Just because you maybe a part of the "elite" set of society doesn't negate your duty to also follow the will of the people for the people and by the people that make the entire society up.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The voting system does assume that those who vote will do so conscientiously, but does not require it. If people want a system that governs them badly, they are welcome to vote that in. And that's still democracy.

No it wasn't. The simplest definition of democracy is that citizens get to vote. Non-whites (and women) were citizens, but did not get to vote. Open and shut.

Who gets to decide who is smart and who is an idiot? I am in power and I (arbitrarily) decide you, Knowledge91, are in the idiot category. Now what do you think of your idea?

13. kx000 Valued Senior Member

The point of voting is so we aren't dictated to. Why does a idiot deserve a vote? Its to worthy to give to someone who makes themselves worthless.

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

There is a pivotal issue here, which you have not answered:

Who decides who is an idiot?

Answer this.

15. Balerion Banned Banned

We could appoint a Czar of Idiocy...

16. Tero Registered Member

If it made any difference, you would not be allowed to vote. Only money talks.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What if they want to vote for someone who will fund education and make sure they or their children will not be an idiot?

18. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Well my theory is im the only in the world with a vote, then I talk to people and if I believe they are worthy I award them a vote, and the ability to grant another a vote.

19. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Then they clearly are not an idiot...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Emil Valued Senior Member

Yep, and we have mods...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. river

would anybody rather be in another political system ?

NO , despite its draw backs

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, I would rather be in a dictatorship... As long as I'm the dictator.

23. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Its very difficult to test for morality...and even if you are morally perfect it doesnt mean you will make good decisions in the voting booth.

Being a saint doesnt mean you should automatically get a driver's license either.