Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Democracy doesn't work...

  1. #1
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,637

    Democracy doesn't work...

    Democracy doesn't work if idiots vote randomly, or with out knowledge or theory. Remember when only white men got to vote? That was still democracy. How about only the smart get a vote? If you care about your vote meaning something you should hands down agree with me. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    When you introduce hurdles to voting like testing or a poll tax, you also subvert democracy. I say democracy doesn't work when money controls the process.

  3. #3
    Valued Senior Member Carcano's Avatar
    Posts
    6,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge91 View Post
    Democracy doesn't work if idiots vote randomly, or with out knowledge or theory. Remember when only white men got to vote? That was still democracy. How about only the smart get a vote? If you care about your vote meaning something you should hands down agree with me. Thoughts?
    Not just ONLY WHITE MEN...but only white men 'of property'.

    In England, not ALL adult males were eligible until the early 1900s.

    I prefer a meritocracy as you describe...with voting rights earned by passing an aptitude test on constitutional law.

  4. #4
    Valued Senior Member Buddha12's Avatar
    Posts
    2,951
    How about only the smart get a vote? If you care about your vote meaning something you should hands down agree with me.
    Well I disagree with that statement because who will set the standards....only the "smart" people? That will lead into even more problems because everyone is affected by laws and legislation that is passed by those who are voted into office. I'd never want to return to the day when we only had about 15 percent of the population being able to vote for they only approve of themselves as the ones who should vote. Your idea was tried and only helped the few who were in charge for a brief time thankfully.

  5. #5
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Carcano View Post
    I prefer a meritocracy as you describe...with voting rights earned by passing an aptitude test on constitutional law.
    Lmao. So memorize the current law before getting to vote? How about aptitude test in fellow man and morality?

  6. #6
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha12 View Post
    Well I disagree with that statement because who will set the standards....only the "smart" people? That will lead into even more problems because everyone is affected by laws and legislation that is passed by those who are voted into office. I'd never want to return to the day when we only had about 15 percent of the population being able to vote for they only approve of themselves as the ones who should vote. Your idea was tried and only helped the few who were in charge for a brief time thankfully.
    I set the standards. It was my idea. Lmao. Their dim vote effects everyone for the worst.

  7. #7
    The opening post misses the entire POINT of voting. You assume you vote to get the best goverment but your wrong, you vote to keep the worst OUT. If groups are eliminated from the right to vote then they become easy pickings for goverment exploitation because they can't BECOME politically active and vote against them based on the policies which effect them

  8. #8
    Valued Senior Member Buddha12's Avatar
    Posts
    2,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge91 View Post
    I set the standards. It was my idea. Lmao. Their dim vote effects everyone for the worst.
    Their vote is as good as your vote for they make up the society just as you do. Just because you maybe a part of the "elite" set of society doesn't negate your duty to also follow the will of the people for the people and by the people that make the entire society up.
    Last edited by Buddha12; 05-16-12 at 09:40 PM.

  9. #9
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge91 View Post
    Democracy doesn't work if idiots vote randomly.
    The voting system does assume that those who vote will do so conscientiously, but does not require it. If people want a system that governs them badly, they are welcome to vote that in. And that's still democracy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge91 View Post
    Remember when only white men got to vote? That was still democracy.
    No it wasn't. The simplest definition of democracy is that citizens get to vote. Non-whites (and women) were citizens, but did not get to vote. Open and shut.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge91 View Post
    How about only the smart get a vote? If you care about your vote meaning something you should hands down agree with me.
    Who gets to decide who is smart and who is an idiot? I am in power and I (arbitrarily) decide you, Knowledge91, are in the idiot category. Now what do you think of your idea?

  10. #10
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Asguard View Post
    The opening post misses the entire POINT of voting. You assume you vote to get the best goverment but your wrong, you vote to keep the worst OUT. If groups are eliminated from the right to vote then they become easy pickings for goverment exploitation because they can't BECOME politically active and vote against them based on the policies which effect them
    The point of voting is so we aren't dictated to. Why does a idiot deserve a vote? Its to worthy to give to someone who makes themselves worthless.

  11. #11
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge91 View Post
    The point of voting is so we aren't dictated to. Why does a idiot deserve a vote? Its to worthy to give to someone who makes themselves worthless.
    There is a pivotal issue here, which you have not answered:

    Who decides who is an idiot?

    Answer this.

  12. #12
    We could appoint a Czar of Idiocy...

  13. #13
    If it made any difference, you would not be allowed to vote. Only money talks.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge91 View Post
    Why does a idiot deserve a vote?
    What if they want to vote for someone who will fund education and make sure they or their children will not be an idiot?

  15. #15
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    There is a pivotal issue here, which you have not answered:

    Who decides who is an idiot?

    Answer this.
    Well my theory is im the only in the world with a vote, then I talk to people and if I believe they are worthy I award them a vote, and the ability to grant another a vote.

  16. #16
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergoat View Post
    What if they want to vote for someone who will fund education and make sure they or their children will not be an idiot?
    Then they clearly are not an idiot...

  17. #17
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    2,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge91 View Post
    Democracy doesn't work...
    Yep, and we have mods...

  18. #18
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    4,025
    would anybody rather be in another political system ?

    NO , despite its draw backs

  19. #19
    Yes, I would rather be in a dictatorship... As long as I'm the dictator.

  20. #20
    Valued Senior Member Carcano's Avatar
    Posts
    6,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge91 View Post
    So memorize the current law before getting to vote? How about aptitude test in fellow man and morality?
    Its very difficult to test for morality...and even if you are morally perfect it doesnt mean you will make good decisions in the voting booth.

    Being a saint doesnt mean you should automatically get a driver's license either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. By nirakar in forum Ethics, Morality, & Justice
    Last Post: 04-11-11, 04:46 PM
    Replies: 228
  2. By Eugene Shubert in forum Pseudoscience Archive
    Last Post: 01-02-11, 08:05 AM
    Replies: 457
  3. By Norsefire in forum Free Thoughts
    Last Post: 12-23-09, 11:27 AM
    Replies: 39
  4. By Why? in forum Ethics, Morality, & Justice
    Last Post: 11-03-07, 10:56 PM
    Replies: 59
  5. By Reiku in forum Free Thoughts
    Last Post: 10-31-07, 09:38 PM
    Replies: 35

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •