Symphonies

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Tero, May 11, 2012.

1. Tero Registered Member

I used to listen to pretty ancient music. Baroque, lute etc.

Recently picked up a few 1800s and 1900s composers.

Stravinsky wrote lost of smaller pieces I like, never listen to rite of spring.

Most recently I am stuck collecting multiple versions of Symphony 2 and 4 by Sibelius.

Don't know why the 4th. It's a bit depressing. It ends in a whimper, no bang.

I don't know how links work here yet. So this is the best I can do. This includes the whimper.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t49T0ETYRAM

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm just the opposite. I like more recent music, from the Romantic and Impressionist eras and the 20th century. The symphonies I like best are by Vaughan Williams and the Russians. But my favorite pieces are shorter: "Metamorphosen" by Richard Strauss, "The Lark Ascending" by Vaughan Williams, "Bolero" by Ravel. And "Scheherazade" by Rimsky-Korsakov, although that one almost qualifies as a symphony.

Beethoven and Mozart and most of the truly "classical" composers leave me cold. As a musician (bass guitar) I can certainly appreciate their music, but as a listener it doesn't do much for me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

...and I think Beethoven's Ninth is the finest piece of music I have ever heard. That from both an educated listeners (mom was pHD music and I completed a minor in it) point of view AND as a musician (rhythm guitar, keyboards and lead vocals). The wife and I had that for our wedding music - the "Ode to Joy" chorus. One of the more memorable evenings of my adult life was being in the audience for Antal Dorati and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra at Ford Auditorium for their performance of the Ninth....second was the 1812 at Meadowbrook replete with a dozen French bronze mortars.

Mozart, Borodin, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Liszt, Debussy, Chopin....well a lot of others too.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

All great. I listen to that stuff every day - my current hot cd is Van Cliburn doing a bunch of "piano favorites".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Tchaikovsky's last -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQoLS2_z4_0&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD0B2C9E3A5A74B7C
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtLq8wj0p80&feature=related

8. Tero Registered Member

The Beethoven symphony recordings are pretty much a once a year thing for me. 9th 7th and pastoral. Can't play the 5th anymore.

Octets and chamber orcestra works are OK too. From my Vivaldi years got a liking for string orchestras. But nothing pops. Gloomy is good!