More than 50% of Americans support Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by garbonzo, May 9, 2012.

1. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

This means that more than 50% of Americans are not really religious, or they do not know their own holy book (or they cherry pick their holy book).

Very exciting news, if you ask me. There are a lot of closeted atheists, and more potential atheists. I am sure atheism will become the majority in first world countries officially within my lifetime. (I'm 18)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Where does the Bible prohibit same sex marriage? And why do you assume that to be religious in America means Christianity?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

Where did I say Christianity? Why do you put words in my mouth that I never said?

EDIT: I knew when posting the thread that someone would say something like this, so I changed the word to religious. I thought it would be obvious what I meant, seeing as the most popular religions are Abrahmic.... Seems some people have too much stuck up their ass to give a person the benefit of the doubt. (Yes, I admit I could have clarified it more.)

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Balerion Banned Banned

It doesn't condemn same-sex marriage, but only because that concept never occurred to the authors of the Bible. Instead it condemns same-sex sex.

Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death."

And not all religious people in America are Christian, but let's face it, the majority are, and it's Biblical warrant that we're fighting against here.

8. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

What does the Bible say about homosexuality?
    Rom. 1:24-27: “God, in keeping with the desires of their hearts, gave them up to uncleanness, that their bodies might be dishonored among them .*.*. God gave them up to disgraceful sexual appetites, for both their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; and likewise even the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and receiving in themselves the full recompense, which was due for their error.”
    1*Tim. 1:9-11: “Law is promulgated, not for a righteous man, but for persons lawless and unruly, ungodly and sinners, .*.*. fornicators, men who lie with males, .*.*. and whatever other thing is in opposition to the healthful teaching according to the glorious good news of the happy God.” (Compare Leviticus 20:13.)
    Jude 7: “Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities about them, after they .*.*. [had] gone out after flesh for unnatural use, are placed before us as a warning example by undergoing the judicial punishment of everlasting fire.” (The name Sodom has become the basis for the word “sodomy,” which usually designates a homosexual practice. Compare Genesis 19:4, 5, 24,*25.)

1*Cor. 6:9-11: “Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men .*.*. will inherit God’s kingdom. And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean, but you have been sanctified, but you have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.”

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sorry for nitpicking your post. And thanks for the clarification.

10. arauca Banned Banned

Yes I am in favor of them get married and give them in Island in the pacific and let them reproduce themselves. of better way sent them to Mars to colonize the beautiful red planet

11. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

You really think more than 50% support gay marriages? More likely more than 50% don't oppose it, but that's not the same as support is it. Also, I thought it was settled that being gay is not a choice but a fact of birth. That being the case doesn't make them atheist or even inclined to become atheist. As much as a theist might want us be believe religion is a free choice, it is mostly determined by the parents or family one is born into.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

There are plenty of religious people who support gay marriage. And yes, any sane Christian cherry picks the Bible, given that selling your daughter into slavery is generally considered bad nowadays. And people go to church wearing polyester AND cotton - even people with glasses.

13. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Is it hate or fear that drives this kind of reaction? I never get it.

14. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

Sorry for anything I said, also. All is forgiven. :worship:

15. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

That is what I read. The word "support" specifically. Not sure if it was accurate. It was on a mainstream website, though.

No, it is not settled. Many many people don't believe that, because of "What MAH BAHBLAH says." or "What MAH QURAP says." Any Abrahamic religious person searching Google for if homosexuality is a choice, or if it is right will find an abundance of apologetic for their specific religion on why homosexuality and gay marriage is wrong according to their holy book on the first page of results often citing crazy doctors or outdated books to support their notions to mislead their visitors.

Not sure what exactly you are getting at. My parents are the most devout parents in a Christian cult you can ever begin to think of and yet I researched and got away from the crazy kool-aid. There is absolutely no reason why anyone else can't. We aren't living in the dark ages anymore where you believed everything your parents did or the government told you to because there was no other choice. Most of us live in the age of information, technology, and freedom. There is no foundation for that notion.

Others profess a religion simply because their parents are of that religion, like you say, (yes; I don't disagree with that, but for a different reason) BUT, they don't believe it or act on it. That is what I mean by people who are not really religious, but potential atheists. (This was what I meant in my OP.)

16. keith1 Guest

It's just a bigger group of "attack couplets" that prey on the "sanctity of adult single-hood".
    WE SHALL OVERCOME OUR SHACKLES OF INJUSTICE AND INEQUALITY!!

17. Balerion Banned Banned

Not everyone shares your open-mindedness, sadly. Of course, there is also the possibility that you denounced your parents' faith out of rebellion. Not saying that you did, only that when a child is saddled with ideologies before they are old enough to understand exactly what they're into, it makes it all the more difficult for them to make informed choices about that ideology later in life. Even if they do abandon it, are they doing so because they really don't believe in it, or are they doing so to stick it to Maw and Paw? It's a valid question.

Of course, atheism is not an ideology, so the more likely scenario is a child of a certain faith simply taking on a different faith, but my point still stands. Children raised in strict religious settings (or strict racist settings) overwhelmingly tend to adhere to that ideology as adults. Why do you think religions continue to grow? It certainly has nothing to do with converts. It's practitioners of the faith having children who will be raised in that religion.

Well, sure. I think there is perhaps a great difference between the number of stated theists and practicing theists in this country, and that those who don't really believe are atheists in waiting, so to speak. Of course, the same could be said of many devout people. Go to Richard Dawkins' website and read the testimonials, you'll see what I mean.

18. kx000 Valued Senior Member

No. Faith will be. Trust me. Religion can not touch FAITH. Atheism is faith in the lacking of God.

19. kx000 Valued Senior Member

What about God intervening to save Moses, but not Jesus?

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, atheism is very different than faith. I've simply never been presented with a reason to believe that God was anything other than a fictional human invention.

21. kx000 Valued Senior Member

So you believe in the lacking of a God. You do not know that there is in fact NOT a God. I have never been given reason to believe that God id not there, try me.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There's an infinite number of things that I also haven't been given reason to believe. Whether I know them or not with certainty is irrelevant. Have you ever been given a reason to believe that invisible pink unicorns don't exist?

23. wellwisher Banned Banned

The political correct movement tries to alter language and terms because some of these are offensive to some people or groups of people. Combining the two terms Gay and Marriage have that "N-word" affect on many people. It grouses them out and they get irrational just like if you used the n-word to a black.

PC should be defending the hurt feelings, by striking this term from language, as offensive, to protect hurt feelings. However, PC is not being consistent, for some strange reason, but is not protecting feeling hurt by language. They should come up with a new term that is PC correct that protects feelings, right? Or is PC really just a smoke and mirror front for a political party?

Another way to look at this is, if the religious can be offended by language and not melt in the corner (get used to it) is it possible that PC is not really needed, other than via sales pitch, but is really there for questionable ends?

Last edited: May 10, 2012