''Polar cities'' for survivors of climate chaos in future?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by polarcityman, Apr 17, 2012.

1. polarcityman Registered Member

I am the director of the Polar Cities Research Institute in Taiwan, since 2006. We are asking world governments to prepare for future climate chaos as predicted by top scientists including my own teacher Dr James Lovelock, who inspired me to create the polar cities project in 2006, to prepare, discuss and site locations for future polar cities in the north lands and in Tasmania and New Zealand come the Climate Apocalypse, maybe in 200 years, maybe later, maybe sooner, but never too early to begin planning. In fact, I call myself, informally, "James Lovelock's Accidental Student." And he has seen my work on polar cities and seen the images that Deng Cheng-hong in Taiwan created, and Dr Lovelock wrote back to me in 2009 and said "Thanks for showing me Mr Deng's images of polar cities. It may very well happen, and soon!"

In 2008, Andrew C. Revkin at the New York Times DOT EARTH blog profiled my polar cities ideas, as did Gizmodo and Geekologie and host of other sites, all mocking me, sigh, smile,
    and in 2012, just recently in April, a book, a novel, titled POLAR CITY RED, authored by Oklahoma author Jim Laughter, age 59, veteran author of earlier sci books, was released in POD and ebook format. And i am calling this genre of book ''CLI FI'', since it is more CLI FI than SCI FI but very close. And Margaret Atwood and David Brin both told me they like the CLI FI term! Jim calls the book a novel. He will discuss all this more here later.

To see more info go to ''google me good'' and look for Jim and me there...

and if interested, a Kindle version of the cli fi novel POLAR CITY RED
    is now avail online and if anyone wants to review it, pro or con, any way,
    please do. We are interested in all POV here and we have no agenda. The book is part novel entertainment, the first sci book to ever discuss global warming and polar cities, and also part prophecy and wake up call alert.

Your POV? Discuss. I am all ears.

Danny Bloom (1949-2032)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. polarcityman Registered Member

Jim Laughter, the author of POLAR CITY RED, will be adding his comments here later. If anyone wants to interview him about the book for your blog or website his name is in the google book in the cloud under the name "Jim Laughter" + POLAR CITY RED

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

I would think Canada's Baffin Bay islands would make an excellent site for future cites in a warmer world. Think what a fine archipelagic republic could arise there. The only question is:how much of their territory would still be above sea level in the globally warmed world?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. polarcityman Registered Member

Good question, sir. Depending on how serious the sea level rises get to be in future over next 500 years, beginning in 2100, ouch. Could be that the only livable places in the north will be in hill country of Fairbanks Alaska etc and other hilly areas in northern Iceland, Greenland, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Russia and China, and Alaska....

new question for you: do you thing CIa and Homeland Security and MI5 and other intel agencies are already planning such "climate retreats" in northern lands and maybe even secretly building them underground even?

8. polarcityman Registered Member

oh and hill country of New Zealand and Tasmania, even Antarctica. We cannot forget our southern friends. THEy will have polar cities there too. and again i need to say that these POLAR CITIES are not reallh at the POLES per se nor are they cities, gleaming glass cities, they are more likely to be desolate dirty villages of frightened climate refugees trying to survive and also keep out maurauders, ReAD Jim's book, he has nailed it.

9. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Allow me to help you out a bit with the links as this is a topic of some interest to me. I live in the Yukon Territory, Canada, which borders the state of Alaska. We occasionally joke about including Alaska as part of Canada, it being so far away from the lower 48 and all.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

For many years now there has been a lot of growth of infrastructure and housing in the Whitehorse, Yukon area and considerable growth in population and immigration which I attribute to the ongoing speculation on pipeline development.

This development has been debated several times around, since back in the 1970's when it was called the 'Foothills Pipeline Project'.

Significant climate change has been noticed in the far north also, and First Nations elders who live on the land in Old Crow, Yukon and subsist largely on a traditional diet were the first to comment and bring their observations to the attention of the Yukon Fish and Wildlife Management board, of which I was co-chair at the time.

We may debate about the causes of climate change and whether this is a natural cycle or one being accelerated by human activity yet we shall need to learn new coping strategies regardless of what the answers turn out to be.

Was it not need (or greed) that has ever led our species to move further afield? In my observations, most of us are just not that curious or consumed by curiosity once a basic level of comfort and security has been attained.

10. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Interesting promotion style. Rewrite the words to a well known song. "Amazing Race' indeed, lol... The book is being set to launch for April 22, Earth Day, I note.

Click on image to hear song.

11. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Here is the overview of the book, a review by Smashwords.

Short description
    In the distant future North America, northern Asia and Europe will see millions of climate refugees from southern lands trekking northward, and the entire Lower 48 might be under threat from the devastating impacts of “climate chaos” —from rising sea levels to a scary scarcity of food, fuel and shelter. Polar City Red is set in an imagined Alaska in the year 2075.

Extended description
    In the distant future—some say the near future—North America, northern Asia and Europe will see millions of climate refugees from southern lands trekking northward, and the entire Lower 48 might be under threat from the devastating impacts of “climate chaos” —from rising sea levels to a scary scarcity of food, fuel and shelter.

Polar City Red is set in an imagined Alaska in the year 2075. But it could just as well be Tokyo or Oslo or Berlin. Global warming is borderless, and so are our fears.

“A thought experiment that might prod people out of their comfort zone on climate.” —New York Times

“Planning a good retreat is always a good measure of generalship. The retreat will be toward the poles.” —New York Times

“We cannot regard the future of the civilized world in the same way as we see our personal futures. The planet may have already passed the tipping point on global warming. Is it already too late? Are the well-intentioned preservation campaigns just feel-good window dressing?” —James Lovelock, CBE, FRS, author of Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth (2000)

“We’re seeing the collapse of the Arctic sea ice. This year (2011) alone, planet Earth lost an area of Arctic sea ice twice the size of British Columbia. The impact on the entire global climate system will be enormous—the Arctic sea ice is the canary in the coal mine, and the canary is almost dead.” —Dr. Michael Byers, Professor of Politics and International Law at the University of British Columbia

12. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

The first 20% of the book is available to read on-line or download for free.

—Christopher Morley
    Table of Contents

Prologue – The End

Chapter One – The Tundra

Chapter Two – The City

Chapter Three A New Home

Chapter Four – Umka

Chapter Five – The Climatron®

Chapter Six – The Clinic

Chapter Seven – New Arrival

Chapter Eight – Attack

Chapter Nine – The Lottery

Chapter Ten – Rescue

Chapter Eleven – New Citizens

Chapter Twelve – Windmills

Chapter Thirteen – Return Mission

Chapter Fourteen – Fire on the Lake
    Previous Page Next Page Page 3 of 183

Links and formats are at the bottom of the page at this link.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/151902#longdescr

13. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Polar Ice research, using data acquired from space and by flyovers with aircraft, has been ongoing since 2003, and possibly even earlier.

http://polaricecapsmelting.com/polar-ice-caps-melting-data/

14. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Update:

I began reading the book and it appears that only the first 36 pages are available to read for free.

After that, one is urged to buy the book to continue reading.

Somewhat misleading, then, to advertise 187 pages, or at least that is how it comes across to me. :bugeye:

Perhaps the entire book is 187 pages. Don't know.

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

A neat idea, but even the IPCC's absolute worst case predictions (6.4C or 11.5F) doesn't mean we need polar cities to find livable places. Take Los Angeles. It would go from daytime averages of 68-84F to 79.5-96.5F - about average for Phoenix. And people seem to do OK in Phoenix.

16. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Good point and people have been living in the inhospitable 'frozen wastelands' for a considerable time already, without very much technical amendment.

If we ever lost the main infrastructure even here in Whitehorse, I predict that 95% of the population would be migrating back south in one devil of a hurry.

They consider it to be a state of crisis if the internet is down for half an hour.

Pack wood and carry water?

Highly unlikely.

17. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

You say that you are director of the Polar Cities Research Institute in Taiwan? Sounds like a cushy job! Need an assistant?

How can it be that the hill countries you mention are the only places that would be above water? What are your criteria? I would think that Denver, Pittsburgh, or the Indian hill countries in the foothills of the Himalayas, to give just three examples, would certainly remain above sea level. Am I mistaken?

And surely your institute is aware that global warming may trigger global cooling. What then? Are you considering equatorial regions for 'Equatorial Cities'?

As for what the CIA and all are doing, I wouldn't know since I move all the top-secret intel crap they are constantly sending me to my spam folder - where I delete it without reading it.

(And why would they be building underground retreats if they're expecting high water???)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  18. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

No worry about living in just "hill country"

That scale makes it look scary, but that fairly steady trend over the last two decades is a rate of 1 foot sea level rise per century.

19. polarcityman Registered Member

SCHEDAZ re "Allow me to help you out a bit with the links as this is a topic of some interest to me. I live in the Yukon Territory, Canada, which borders the state of Alaska. We occasionally joke about including Alaska as part of Canada, it being so far away from the lower 48 and all. "

thanks for the cover photo etc. danny here, polar city man. I know Whitehorse well. I lived in Alaska for 12 years, that is where my polar cities ideas came from: I was mostly down in Juneau, worked for state legislature as PR guy, and was editor of the Capital City Weekly newspaper, 1980s. Mostly in Juneau, but two years in Nome. Often drove up to Whitehorse in the summer to go the hot springs just outsdie the city there. I loved Whitehorse, my kind of town. Nome was amazing in winter. Juneau rains too much. SMILE. now in Asia since 1991, and i no longer fly in airplanes so i will
    stay and die in taiwan. nice place.

I hope Jim's book will raise public awarenss of all these issues, pro and con, that's my dream for his book. Ahd a little birdie tells me he is working on a trilogy now, with two more POLAR CITY books coming soon. Next book might be titled ESCAPE TO POLAR CITY RED, and it will go back in time about 20 or 40 years to 2030 or so, to explain how the people in lower 48 made the trek north to POLAR CITY RED whcih is book 1. Book 3 will go more into the future. so the POLAR CITY TRILOGY has legs, and it's CLI FI, speculative fictionm, would LOVE TO READ your review or anyone here review the book later.....i read it as Jim was writing it , chapter by chapter, over a 7 month period. and I LOVE EVERY SINGLE CHAPTER...all 24 of them.....

email me off,line for more chats and books issues, i can get free copies maybe for some of you having trouble accessing the smashwrods bookl find me
    24 7 365 forever at danbloom AT gmail DOT com

my tombstone reads: 1949-2032

HURRY

i already had one heart attack and more are coming soon....SIGh

20. polarcityman Registered Member

TRAILER VIDEO for "POLAR CITY RED '' - sci fi novel by Jim Laughter
    POLAR CITY RED info link:

21. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

22. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Directly addressing the issue of human pollution of the environment would be a tad more cost - effective IMHO.

Merely cleaning up our mutual act air - pollution wise could make a huge difference to world climate in under a decade.

23. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I agree. I have been posting links merely to aid a poster lacking that capacity at present. Hopefully that is not against the rules.

Having lived in the north for many years I can say with reasonable certainty that if the grid went down permanently, 95% of the population would engage in mass exodus.

This climate would have to moderate by an extreme degree to make any kind of self sustainability for a significant population possible.

The carrying capacity of the land in this region is far less than in southern climes. Wild animal numbers would not support a large human population and agricultural animals have significant needs as well which require resources to meet.

We would have NO overweight people north of 60 if such a scenario developed.

Staying warm and nourished would require almost all of our effort save for a few of months of the year which one uses to prepare for the next winter, which is never far away.

I am one who practices container gardening as a hobby. Tomatoes planted on Feb. 1st now have small green fruits already.

Perhaps they can use my gardening expertise?