Thread: life on Mars?

Registered Senior Member

life on Mars?

I was at a Motel this weekend and there was a TV playing in the lobby. I couldn't hear the sound, but there was a picture of some worm-like looking thing and it said something about "scientists 99% sure there is life on Mars". Did anyone else see this - what was that all about?
    Jim S.

Rational Skeptic
    Perhaps a SciFi program.

Registered Senior Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Hills_84001

maybe. but this is old news.

Registered Senior Member
    I found what they were talking about - some research was done at University of Cal. School of Medicine re-analizing data from the the Viking missions. They think the data shows living bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I found what they were talking about - some research was done at University of Cal. School of Medicine re-analizing data from the the Viking missions. They think the data shows living bacteria.
    No the degree of organisation showed previous life, not so much as current life.

Registered Senior Member
    No, they are talking about analyzing gas that was being given off - they seemed to be talking about the present tense (at least present during the Viking landing time).

Registered Senior Member
    No, they are talking about analyzing gas that was being given off - they seemed to be talking about the present tense (at least present during the Viking landing time).
    i think there is still quite a lot of disagreement between the two camps. we need another sample and a better testing regime to be more sure.

Registered Senior Member
    The newest rover, Curiosity, will be arriving in August. Maybe it'll shed some more light on this. I suppose you can prove there is life, but you can't prove there isn't (or wasn't).

Registered Senior Member
    there is a very good chance that life is all over the solar system. just a matter of time before we obtain some concrete proof.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2157407032

Rational Skeptic
    MarkL323: On what do you base the following?
    there is a very good chance that life is all over the solar system. just a matter of time before we obtain some concrete proof.
    The video at the link you posted has a lot of nice graphics & speculation, but no evidence.

Life on Mars some time in the distant past seems possible, but I think the probability is very low. Life elsewhere in the Solar System seems even more unlikely.