Facebook blatantly asking for non-Facebook account password

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Lilalena, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilalena Registered Senior Member

I thought they stealthily collected email passwords, I didn't know they
    would actually ask. They even promise they won't save it.

I can understand how FB can get away with doing illegal things by stealth, but how do they manage to get away with BLATANTLY asking for a non-Facebook password?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Literphor I is for ignorance Registered Member

I'd imagine they can't ask for your e-mail password because, unlike skype, e-mails have a lot of personal information. You can recover passwords to other services, like online banking, and gain access to someones account.

Have you actually tried it? It probably redirects you to yahoo and you have to put your password in directly through their service. Just because facebook can interface with your browser doesn't necessarily mean you're giving them your password... I'm pretty sure it would be illegal if they did ask for it.

I don't use facebook, for other privacy issues. Good luck!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you should have a look at openid.org

One of the things that can be used for identifying your universal Id is actually your facebook page, if other companies have already setup the system to allow your facebook to be used to identify you then it makes sense that Facebook can connect you to that partner through the backend.

Facebook wouldn't have your password, instead there is a shared pairing between the partners account (in this case Yahoo) and the facebook account using a key that is only known between them (you don't even know it).

Ideally this should be explained somewhere in the method you using to partner accounts, you'll have to look around and see if that question has been answered by facebook, otherwise ask why it isn't publicly stated how they are pairing accounts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.