athiest put anti religious sign next to the nativity scene

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by sifreak21, Mar 30, 2012.

1. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwmLhWXcNUo&feature=youtu.be

discuss

i think this lady couldnt be more wrong.
    1. shes ASSUMING everyone is christian and wants to see all the religious shit they post and put
    2. shes assuming that all parents force religion down there kids throat
    3. She finds it 100% ok and promots putting religious quotes scripts and all that around. YET when someone else tries to post what they believe it she has an anurism.. hypocrit anyone?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

Couldn't agree more...christians are complete hypocrites.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

8. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

9. Adstar Valued Senior Member

I very much doubt he is with God at the moment.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

10. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@Adstar --

I do too, because there's very likely no god for him to be with.

11. Balerion Banned Banned

Seconded.

And thank goodness for that, eh? What sort of deity would eternally punish one of its creations for using the gift of reason?

12. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@JDawg --

Not a benevolent one, that's for sure. But then, a benevolent deity would never impose an infinite punishment for a finite crime either, which is not only malevolent but unjust as well.

13. Balerion Banned Banned

This is why Hitchens liked to refer to the idea of a god as a "celestial dictatorship." Being punished for thought crimes is a staple of such a regime.

14. Arioch Valued Senior Member

Yup, for the most part. At least the polytheisms didn't really have that problem, not for the most part anyways. Monotheism just seems like one bad idea after another to me.

15. Balerion Banned Banned

Any philosophy or belief that can claim divine warrant is a bad idea, because it can then be imposed upon others without challenge. Except from another philosophy claiming divine warrant, of course. I think we've all see how those conflicts tend to go.

16. Arioch Valued Senior Member

True, claiming divine authority is, in general, a bad idea. But there are bad ideas and worse ideas.

Bad idea: Having your mythology claim divine authority.

Worse idea: Concentrating all of that divine authority into a single being.

I think that we can all agree that, with a few notable exceptions(such as the Aztec mythology), polytheisms were and are much more able to incorporate other theistic beliefs than monotheisms are. The ancient Greek and Roman theisms were good examples of this, allowing conquered people to continue to worship their own gods so long as they also payed homage to the Greek/Roman deities.

Still, science works better by far at explaining the world around us than religions/spiritual beliefs do.

17. Balerion Banned Banned

This was generally true, though both Jews and Christians in Rome were persecuted at times, at least at local levels.

Of course, tolerance is not acceptance, and this still only speaks to how polytheistic faiths interact with other religions, not how they interact with society.

"Better by far" is a terribly misleading way of putting it, as it implies that religion/spirituality explains the world around us to some extent, which is absolutely untrue.

18. Arioch Valued Senior Member

Oh it does offer explanations, it offers a ton of them. Thor explained the phenomena of lightning and thunder while Ra was the sun. That these explanations were wrong doesn't mean that, for their time, they didn't have explanatory power. It's just that science outstrips them all in terms of it's explanatory power, and it has the bonus trait of being demonstrable and consistent, something which the other methods never had.

Personally I think that anyone turning to religion or spirituality for explanations is getting ripped off, but that doesn't change the fact that these people are still finding explanations that they deem to be good enough(usually without really thinking them through).

19. Balerion Banned Banned

But those aren't actually explanations, they're superstitions and myths. And to say that science's explanations are "far better" implies that these myths and superstitions have value as explanations--which they do not.

20. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@JDawg --

They, at one time, represented the best explanations for such phenomena as the people could manage. That doesn't make them right, it just means that they made more sense to the people who accepted them and thus, for those people, had explanatory power. They once had the power to explain things but lost that power as people learned more and more.

Science differs from this in that it's explanatory power is demonstrable to everyone and not just those who accepted certain unproven premises. Science gives us reproducible results regardless of what the scientists doing the experiments believes and thus automatically has more explanatory power.

In today's day and age such myths no longer have any explanatory power. Science has stripped them of it.

21. Balerion Banned Banned

I suppose it's just a semantic argument, but we can agree that religion today offers no kind of explanation for the world.

22. Adstar Valued Senior Member

I saw no reason. I only saw disagreement and anger at God.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

23. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

JDawg

The value of theistic explanations has nothing to do with their accuracy. They satisfied the human NEED for explanations and SEEMED to offer explanations that satisfy that need. Lacking better, scientific explanations they were as good as explanations could be at the time.

Grumpy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!