The right man in the wrong place

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by aaqucnaona, Mar 26, 2012.

1. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

"Wake up mister freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes....
    The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world..."
    -Gman, Half Life 2 intro

As some may notice, I have changed my user title to the above statement, from Half life 2. This fits surpisingly well with the idea of my gunsliging penguin forces major and an non-human species revolt but the real reason is that recently came across the movie "the dreamers" and my focus quickly shifted from eva green's, um, endowments to the revolutionary background of the movie. This lead me to the anarchism of the french which then turned to familiar territory of existentialism and individualism but the link between the two surprised me, for example, many of the unfamiliar concepts here practically define me. And thats when the line really hit me in its full meaning, it seems to fit well with my self-image. Hence the change.

This OP may seem much more out of the norm of my posts, being much more idealistic, maybe even to the point of delusions of grandeur and unrestrained emotionalism. This needs explaning. Besides the fact that I am a teen, I am also doing one of my sleep deprivation experiments. You see, most modern atheists consider their rationality, realism and objectivity in high regard. This can, of course, be prone to comformation biases. As a counter-measure, I do this sleep deprivation experiments where I stay up very late, something skipping sleep altogether and exposing myself to unusual and powerful stimuli, like great literature or philosophy, gaming, horror movies, etc. This combined with the sleep deprivation breaks down the usual layers of my mind, allowing me to peek inside. Its interesting to see myself paranoid, jumping at car lights at 3 am after a horror movie or gripped by the emotion of a song and so on - the edges of my behaviour which I have otherwise limited out of my usual conduct. And in such a state I write this, a state which might be called the safer version of Holmes' crime solving 'tobacco trips'.

This should be interesting to read tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I saw your title... and my first reaction was "can make all the dif-erence in the world"

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Indeed!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

This really is interesting to read now.

8. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Sleep deprivation is one of several means by which we can move beyond our 'conditioned' mind to gain a broader perspective.

One should be cognizant of the fact that their judgement may be impaired at such times and avoid putting oneself and/or others in situations of potential harm.

That being said, life itself is a condition of perpetual potential harm, so just play safe, lol...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

I wonder why you said that? Pls elaborate?

10. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Sleep deprivation is a very interesting vehicle for introspection but one needs to be careful if operating machinery or vehicles, and even just in physical exercise. You may notice differences in your depth perception, proprioceptive sense and reaction time.

Once one has had some experience of the above, one can be aware of what parameters they may need to adjust, but until the experience has been gained, there is the potential for accident or injury.

One can experience symptoms not unlike those of persons who have indulged in alcohol or other substances as one's body chemistry gets out of balance.

People may act or speak in a manner that is inappropriate for the circumstances.

One of my own favorite 'sleep deprived moments' occurred in a ladies washroom during a 460 mile sled dog race. I was washing my hands, and I visibly felt the ground tremble. I looked up and remarked to the other two ladies present, "Was that an earthquake I just felt? We have frequent tremors in the Yukon."

They looked at each other and responded in the negative. They didn't quite back away, lol, but they didn't seem interested in engaging me in further conversation.

I was the only one who experienced the sensation of 'the earth moving' which is not at all uncommon when gets sleep deprived and mildly dehydrated.

11. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

I forgot that you are our resident nightowl!

Fun to know, thanks. I do see my video game performance dropping but nothing worse than that.

12. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Sleep deprivation in a 'controlled environment' interacting with virtual reality is quite different than being sleep deprived in the real world.

There are many forms of being 'impaired' and all of them have the capacity to end your experiment of life.

You are not the first, nor will you be the last, to explore the potential of the mind by finding an avenue past your own conscious 'guard'. Sleep deprivation is a natural and easy way to unlock this potential.

That is why I remarked, 'Play safe.'

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

And useless, too.

While sleep-deprived by one's own will, one might have the impression of continually having "profound insights" and such. But if one were to carefully record those thoughts, then later at a more rested and lucid moment, they would sound like the ramblings of a idiot with delusions of grandeur.

A bout of forced sleep deprivation (such as when one can't sleep due to a work deadline or pain) can cure those delusions of grandeur quickly.

14. Arioch Valued Senior Member

Sounds a lot like some forms of meditation then, but worse for your health.