On my height

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by aaqucnaona, Mar 16, 2012.

1. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

I am 176 cm high, 17 years and 9 months old. I have put on 7 pounds of muscle in the last 2 months, of which 2 pounds have been put on in just the last 2 weeks and my food intake has more than doubled - as I said in this thread - http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=112583
    This has lead to stretch marks on my triceps too now [weight 164 pounds]. My jawline is starting to become pronounced. The higher levels of HGH seem to be evident now and the usual good-feel of exercise is starting to take hold. Do you think that now, as the hormones take hold, my height will increase? It has been very slow recently, growing only 1.5 inch in the last year, but I already feel as if my eye-level is elevated a cm or so. Though my parents are both below 5'6'', one or two generations back on both my paternal and materal sides have atleast 3 confirmed males with heights 6 feet or above, the highest being my uncle at 6'1.5, then my greatgrandad [paternal] at 6'1 and my maternal grandad at 6'0.5.

So, what is your opinion? How long will I grow and how high will I be?
    Will my intense exercise help my height?
    What more activites can help it?
    In your personal experience, till what age have you or those around you continued to grow?

Ps. I hope to touch or cross 6 feet - 183cm.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

On average, males grown until age 20, so you have still got some time, according to the statistics.

Based on my experience as a horse and dog breeder, look to your immediate grandparents for clues to your genetic potential, particularly your maternal grand-sire.

Exercise will strengthen your muscles and this may aid bone density but I do not think it has the potential to affect your height.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

it is amazing that the OP takes such consideration into measurements for all of this...to actually track ones height as well as HGH level is quite amazing. Are you eating carrot much? The protein is good for muscles, but you still need those vitamins, especially from carrots. They are yummy too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Excercise -> reduced epinephrine, higher endorphins and HGH -> More effecient nutrient extraction and protien/calcium use -> Larger bodyframe, growing muscles -> Stretching/cycling/hanging/parkour induced flexibility aids in spinal lengthing + overall bone growth = a bigger, better me.

Is this correct or not? I would really love to know what kind of actual data is available on this?

8. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Hey thanks. If you glean over my posts, you will see that attention to detail and an optimistic perfectionism are things I strive towards. Perhaps that is the only thing in which my realism is not the top priority. To know others is indeed to best way to know yourself it seems - and the irony of it, coming from a misanthrope - is this day rich in literary twists or what?!

9. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I cannot answer if this is 'correct' or not. Were you a horse, I could feed and train you to your optimum potential.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You are as capable as I am of researching what data may be available Aaq, but this tidbit may be of some assistance.

I suggest getting your nutritional requirements from eating a balanced diet of whole foods rather than overdoing any one nutrient through supplements.

With exercise also, a good variety of exercise to develop the whole body rather than just concentrating on one muscle group over others. Be careful with exercises that might lead to concussive injury of joints. While in any phase of rapid development, it can be easy to injure oneself as the body has to redefine it's proprioceptive senses to accommodate the changing parameters of body development.

Young horses and teenagers also sometimes go through a bit of a 'clumsy' stage if development is very rapid.

Do you do any swimming?

Do you get a lot of exercise out of doors in natural conditions?

Plenty of restful sleep is also a requirement for optimum development.

The following site has a plethora of information on the vitamins and minerals to be found in fruits, nuts, proteins and vegetables.

http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/vegetables-nutrition-chart.html

There are plenty of such resources to be found on-line.

10. Xotica Everyday I’m Shufflin Registered Senior Member

Genetics is the main determinant of stature/height. I'm not totally sure, but I believe bone growth is mature at around the 20 year mark.

I'm slightly over 6 feet tall myself. In heels I top out at 6'4"

11. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

I amnt sure, but I have read that upto 40% of the final height of an individual has environmental determinants like food, activity, mental status, etc.

:thumbsup:

12. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Lol. No matter, I have always liked my opposable thumbs anyway.

Indeed. I was being lazy. Duely noted.

Agreed, Already am.

Good point. Will do.

No.

Something I must incorporate into my behaviour, being the nightowl that I am!

Being a vegetarian does have its drawbacks, but heavy amounts of bread, pulses and milk ensure that I get around 115-120gms of protein everyday. And thanks for the links.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  13. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

so where do you get the B12 vitamin from?

14. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

I am not a vegan, I am an vegeterian - milk, cottage and normal cheese, bread [and yeast] all are sources of B12. You only need about a milligram a day and upto 4 milligrams are stored in the liver. But thanks for pointing out that risk anyway.

15. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Incorrect.
    You would require 5 cups of skim milk a day ( whole milk has less B-12 than skim milk )

16. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

I drink about 1.2 litres of whole buffallo milk [it is much richer than cow milk]. That seems to have been enough so far since I dont have any signs of B-12 deficiency.

17. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

I'm 15 years old, 8 months, 188 cm (slightly over 6'2"), 180 lbs. My mom is 5'6" my dad is 5'8", so...don't be discourage by your parent's height. It's an indicator but not a be-all-end-all.

My parents are health freaks so I've been on a diet for basically my entire life, but I can eat as much as I want. it's good that you are getting the proper nutrition, but make sure you eat the right food the right way, because a lot of smaller meals is better then binge eating at dinner time. Make sure you eat within an hour after you work out so it's used more efficiently. Make sure you don't overdo your strength and conditioning because too much can actually hurt your growth. Intense exercise will hurt your height, especially if you damage your growth places, but constantly workout and staying fit will help your bones strengthen (dunno about lengthening though).

IMHO, 6 feet might be too much to ask for, maybe 5'11 will be more realistic. But hey, I've seen kids get from 5'10" to about 6'1" from Sophomore to Junior year. Have you heard of Cam Newton? Apparently he wasn't that big as an underclassman in high school and grew to 6'3" his junior year.

Another thing, Yoga will help, I did yoga since I was 12 (P90X yoga, close enough!), it helped me with balance, flexibility and overall athleticism. Not gonna lie but it also improved my concentration. Apparently swimming helps too! I use it to cross-train and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

18. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Hey, Hi! Thanks for the info.

19. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

BTW, do you want to BE tall or look tall? You can look tall right now (without platforms or anything like that) if you want, there are ways you can dress to look taller and just walk with good posture. If you want to be tall for sports, a quicker way is to increase your vertical leap.

It's not like an immediate satisfaction vs long-term. More like there are things you can do that can help

20. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

I wanna be tall, but any tips on looking tall in the meantime would be quite nice.

21. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Make sure you don't dress in baggy clothes, clothes that fit you makes you look taller. Also, wear vertical stripes or monochromatic dark colors. When you wear a jacket, do not wear one with fancy designs. Also stand up straight, pull your shoulders back and keep your neck straight.

http://ca.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_500/554_how-to-look-taller.html

Check it out, might help.

22. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Thanks.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Not entirely true. Nutrition does indeed play a large role. The USA has a great many immigrant communities so it's easy to see this at work. Each successive generation of Japanese-Americans (Issei, Nisei, Sansei, then the intermarriage rate is too high to continue the statistics) averages about half an inch taller than their parents. I think we're starting to see the same thing in the Vietnamese-Americans too.
    You're an example of this too. The average height of the entire American population is increasing with every generation. When I was a teenager in the 1950s, at six feet/183cm tall, I towered over a good many of my classmates and most adults. I never met a six foot-tall girl or woman in person; girls my age who were 5'10" really stood out. Today I'm only slightly above average for an adult, a good many teenagers tower over me, and I know a number of younger ladies who are my height or taller.

This is all from nutrition. So I suppose this means that succeeding generations will be short and fat from all the junk food.