Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: vitamins

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    I thought that I should add a bit more detail to my observation on the addition of Vitamin D to my diet. While some of my observations could be written off as purely subjective, there is one in particular that cannot be dismissed.

My fingernails had been getting very hard, brittle and ridged, several of them split and chipped, an effect that I largely blamed on my job and handling copious amounts of paper and cardboard. Since taking the Vitamin D, the split nails have now grown out, and my nails are noticeably less brittle when I clip them. The ridges also are growing out and the new nail is virtually smooth in comparison. I may actually be able to contemplate putting a clear varnish on my nails at some point in the near future as for a time, they were so work worn that I did not want to draw any attention to them.
    The link below shows the good and bad about vitamin D. I still think they are being a little cautious about the max dosage, but getting tested takes care of that problem by showing what your blood levels really are.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ss...min-d-overview

obscurely fossiliferous Stoniphi's Avatar
    I take a daily 1000 u dose of D but still have brittle splintery nails. The doc tells me this is part of aging. My hair is also brittle and breaks off easily. No big deal there as I am bald and clean shaven, a bit weird though. Dr OZ suggests a weekly soaking of the nails in olive oil for the nails, says other than that there isn't much to do to address that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoniphi View Post
    I take a daily 1000 u dose of D but still have brittle splintery nails. The doc tells me this is part of aging. My hair is also brittle and breaks off easily. No big deal there as I am bald and clean shaven, a bit weird though. Dr OZ suggests a weekly soaking of the nails in olive oil for the nails, says other than that there isn't much to do to address that issue.
    I haven't noticed my nails doing better either. However it's possible they could be doing worse. It's hard to tell because I don't want to stop taking vitamin D long enough to find out. I'm not bald but do like to keep my hair short because old grey hair has more split ends that needs to be clipped frequently.

My doctor says take 1000 iu of Vitamin D in pill form daily. I was tested for my vitamin D levels and was low I personally take about 3000 iu daily now and have found it boosts my immune system for fighting off colds. My husbands doctor says take 4000 iu a day. I think doctors in canada are on the low die until more imperical information is available.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678