How important is Physics in regards to getting into a business University?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by kitson, Mar 7, 2012.

1. kitson Registered Member

Is Physics needed for business universities? How important is Physics in regards to getting into a business University? I'm talking about Canadian business school Universities, by the way.

For example, if I didn't take calculus/data management/advanced functions, then I know for a fact that any business school would NOT let me in.

But what about physics? If I didn't take physics, does it matter? Or is it an instant rejection from business schools?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't think so. The easiest way to find out for sure is to go to the site of the school that you are intersted in and look at what they require. There is nothing wrong with calling the school and asking either.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

I would be surprised if any business school required physics. More than likely you will have a science requirement, but I would think it would be a course or two in science for non-science majors.

Like Origin said, you can get this info from the universities, just by looking into the curriculum for a particular degree.

As far as getting into a university, you can check their requirements, but my guess is that you are normally chosen based on entrance exam scores, grades, class rank and special achievements. You can probably find out more at the college web sites.

From my perspective, a person with a business degree who has also taken physics would be showing an interest in specializing in a business that also hires engineers and scientists. This would include a degree in Technology Management (or something similar) or even a double major, which is another way some students attack their career planning.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

While I agree with what people have already written, studying physics will teach you a lot of skills that are very useful in buisiness, and particularly the financial side of business. I would be pretty surprised if there were any universities that require physics for a business course, but it certainly doesn't hurt to check so there are no unpleasant surprises come graduation time.

8. kitson Registered Member

How much math is involved in business majors?

I'm thinking of majoring in either economics or marketing. I took economics my senior year of high school, and I really enjoyed it. But I wanted to know how much math is involved. I'm good at basic maths and algebra, but it gets a little sketchy after that. I've heard from people that not much hard math is required, but I've also heard that math is something you'll use a lot in college if you're a business major.

9. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

Mod note: I think the two questions from kitson are similar enough to be treated in the same thread