My theory on rocky planet formation

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by adalel, Mar 4, 2012.

1. adalel Registered Member

I have never seen this theory posted anywhere about rocky planet formation but here goes. Could the dust rings that are observed around new stars be molten hot dust. We all have obsered water droplets running down the edge of a sink or bathtub merge and become bigger drops. Are these dust rings made of mostly molten liquid material? When they collide with each other and even solid objects, they merge until they become the size of planetoids? The liquid planetoids and stray drops collide until they form planets. Collapsing hot gas clouds that form the star are usually hot enough for great distances to make their dust rings molten. When the stars cool the new rocky planets also cool and create a solid crust. Furthermore, If the gas cloud collapses and cools too quickly possible asteroid belts will form instead of planets or planetoids. Thought I would ask this question and present the theory.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

In my hypothesis which I have discussed on Physforums the planets form before the sun fires up so what is going to heat them up in the coldness of deep space?
    "Life First Started On Planet Mercury? " http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtopic=29842

Unfortunately it is 61 pages long! But it has some good discussion in it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Electro522 Registered Senior Member

Welcome to Sciforums adalel.

Your mostly correct with your theory. Our eight planets are the last remnants of our early solar system, and have acted similarly to water droplets except they do not become molten until they are near planetoid size. The gravity of the dust starts to atrract other dust particles until a small gravity "well" forms, atracting more and more and dust. Eventually, objects the size of asteroids are formed, and other asteroid sized objects are atrracted to it. This is where the molten rocks come in. The amount of friction between the two asteroids is enough to heat the rock to a molten state. The asteroid grows and grows atrracting more and more objects, and eventually reaches planetoid size. This has to be the most chaotic part of our solar systems formation, cause now we get into planet sized collisions. Every planet would only be about the size of mercury or mars, but there would be hundreds of them. With the chaotic orbits of the planets, some of them may not even be able to complete one orbit around the sun before they encounter another planet. The planets are still growing at this point, and the largest are the only ones not being demolished. Astronomers believe that our own Earth crashed into another planet about the size of Mars and this collision made the Earth not only the size it is today, but possibly also our moon. The number of planets orbiting the sun gets smaller and smaller over time. Orbits become less and less chaotic, settling into our harmonic orbits we have today. The planets begin to cool, and collisions become less and less severe with the occasional major asteroid collision. Eventually, we have our eight planets, asteroid belt, Kuiper belt and Oort Cloud.

Hopefully this helps with your question, and feel free to ask anymore that you may have.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I wonder how Jupiter and Saturn developed with this theory?:shrug:

8. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Go to the Hubble photo library site on dust Disks and see if you can find a photo of a star with a dust disk that supports your theory?

9. adalel Registered Member

Further expounding on the theory

Sorry to take so long getting back, busy life. I know that some of you are having doubts about the molten fluid dynamics of early planet formation. I will build a senario for you that might help.
    When a stellar gas cloud is about to form a star system there are molten dust particles inside the hot cloud. this is where the initial energy comes from to make the dust liquid. The cloud is swirling and moving. the molten dust particles are colliding and merging. Eventually the cloud collapses enough to leave this matter on the outside of it. By now and over millions of years inside the cloud the mergers have formed bodies nearly the size of our moon. The processes that continues to heat this matter is a combination of radioactive decay inside the planetesimals, proximity to the cloud/protostar heat, gravitational heating from the protostar/cloud and symbiotic realtionships between these Lunar sized planetoids. There are more than one of these in the same orbit along with solid asteroids, bolders, pebbles, and dust particles. The larger bodies now have enough gravity to sweep this loose debris into themselves. These planetoids formed a solid crust with molten interiors. When most of them eventually did collide and merge they did not just shatter into an asteroid belt due to being completely solid. One poster mentioned a Mars sized object (Thera) hitting the primordial earth forming Luna, and giving the earth more size and material. The reason the earth and Thera didn't shatter into an asteroid belt is because the earth, maybe Thera, had enough molten liquid to hold them together and merge. The reason the moon is a spheroid is because a large chunk of this magma was blown off into space during that collision. Before it could cool into an irregular shape, the fluid dynamics in a freefall vacuum took over to form a 3D round object.
    To answer the question about how matter would matter stay hot enough to be molten in the cold of space would have several possibilities.
    1. Being inside the hot gas cloud initially
    2. Radiate heat from the protostar/collapsing gas clouds proximity later
    3. Radioactive decay of matter within the now near Lunar sized bodies
    4. Gravitational heating from the nearby baby star/ cloud and symbiotic relationship between these planetesimals
    5. Some combination of all the above

Hope that answers some of the questions about this molten fluid theory.

10. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

If there were these hot gas clouds they would be radiating Infra Red wavelength radiation and it would be known. What evidence have you got that shows you have found evidence of these hot clouds?

11. Electro522 Registered Senior Member

Cosmictraveler, they developed the same way, only they are far enough away where the left over gas from the formation of the sun is gathered by the planets gravity, eventually creating a massive atmosphere. The rocky planets are rocky becuase of solar wind pushing the left over gas past the asteroid belt and keeping the inner planets from gathering as much gas as the gas giants had.

Robbitybob1
    http://archive.seds.org/hst/OrionProplyds.html
    Not from the actual Hubble Library website, but still a Hubble image.

12. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Note the proplyds possibly might form planets thought it is uncertain.
    That is not good evidence in my opinion.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But Uranus, Neptune and before Pluto are even farther away from the sun and they are rocky types of planets.

14. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

They have a solid core but huge oceans of "ices" and so called Ice Planets.

15. adalel Registered Member

Robittybob,
    The question that you ask seems to be quite elementary. Every scientific article that i have ever read about early star system formation has called this a hot cloud of gas. I don't understand what you are getting at unless you are asking me to post links to these articles to prove my point.

Tried to post the links as was not allowed due to small post count. It didn't take much of an internet search to find them. I used the term hot stellar nurseries.

16. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

well just post a complete sentence and later I will Google the sentence.

The word hot in the next paragraph is referring to the protostar
    Ok the material lost during the formation of the protostar may initially be hot but radiant heat will be lost to space and iit will cool.

17. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Robittybob has what could kindly be describes as an idiosyncratic idea (I'm not allowed to use the word crank) about planetary formation.

18. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

It is great to see someone has put some restriction on what you can say. Look I will defend what I say, debate it and learn from you if you can show my ideas are wrong. I'm here to learn and to discuss the views that I have developed over my lifetime.
    So what do you agree that the protoplanetary dust disk is "hot"? OK it might not be 2 degrees Kelvin but I don't believe it to be 1000s of degrees either. So where do you stand?

19. adalel Registered Member

Protoplanetary disks can be more than a 1000K according to this article.

space.wikia.com/wiki/Protoplanetary_disk

The melting point of iron is 1811K Silica(sand), the primary ingrediant of earths crust, is 1700-2000K but keep in mind that these melting points are base on sea level temperatures, the vacuum of space would lower these melting points.

20. Electro522 Registered Senior Member

Cosmictraveler, since youve been somewhat ignored.

Yes they are much farther away, but astronomers believe that they were "pushed" out there by the combination of Jupiter and Saturn's gravity that created powerful tidal forces, slowly "pushing" both Uranus and Neptune a little farther out each time the two planets aligned in their orbits.

21. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Could you copy and paste the actual sentence that supports your argument please?

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

How can such giant planets "push" another smaller planet away, wouldn't it more than likely pull it toward it due to its immense gravity?

23. Electro522 Registered Senior Member

And it does exactly that. I had to do some extra research on this because this a difficult question, plus I realized I worded my answer slightly wrong (I should have used "slingshot"). During the early years of our solar system, Jupiter and Saturn settled into to 2:1 resonance orbit, meaning every time Saturn orbited the sun, Jupiter completed two orbits. With the combined strength of Jupiter and Saturn's gravity, they were able to "slingshot" both Neptune and Uranus to the outer parts of our solar system. Some astronomers believe that Neptune actually formed closer to the sun then Uranus, thus it had a more powerful slingshot which threw it into the Kuiper Belt. NASA had done the same thing with the Voyager 2 probe and getting it out to the outer planets. Eventually, Jupiter and Saturn got pulled out of their 2:1 resonance orbit because of Uranus and Neptune and so the "slingshot" stopped, having all of our planets settle into their current orbits.