Watches & speed of light

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by indianmath, Feb 25, 2012.

1. indianmath Rajesh Bhowmick Registered Senior Member

Suppose we make a watch which uses the frequency which is numerically equivalent to the numeric value of speed of light( If speed is measured in S.I. units i.e. in m/s) to show the time & that watch is worn by a superman & he travels at a speed of light then will his watch slow down?:shrug:
    regards.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. indianmath Rajesh Bhowmick Registered Senior Member

What will be the accuracy of the watch then i.e. accuracy with respect to natural time?
    regards.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

What is that suppose to mean? Do you mean what would happen if there was crystal that vibrated at the speed of light? If that is what you mean it is not possible so your question is moot.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I think there's some confusion here. Speed and frequency are fundamentally different things. You can't have a frequency equal to a speed, they don't even have the same physical units.

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Hell, I don't even know what he means by natural time?

9. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

I think natural time means he doesn't understand there's no absolute frame of reference.

10. indianmath Rajesh Bhowmick Registered Senior Member

I don't know what would happen if the crystal vibrates with the speed of light. Can u tell me please that what time the watch will show then i.e with respect to the normal crystals that we use to in our normal watches, what would be the difference in the time of that superman's watch & our normal watch in a futuristic super-spacecraft which also travels at speed of light & what would be the difference of time between the superman's watch & an identical watch to him kept on earth after he returns to earth?
    When a man of 17th century was asked by this centuries man that can u calculate 17^(5) in just few seconds by this scientific calculator then the 17th century man just said the same thing that it is a moot thing.Just joking

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

regards.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  11. indianmath Rajesh Bhowmick Registered Senior Member

Rhaedas, This thread is started by me in a sane & positive mind & I think I have divided my thread in two posts. I consider that in future if u want to post in this thread then pls restrict ur posts concerning to the thread & not to check others knowledge & if u have any questions of ur own regarding my knowledge & other then the matter concerning this thread U can start ur own thread.
    Thanx for participating.
    regards.

12. indianmath Rajesh Bhowmick Registered Senior Member

Origin, In this thread,which has started by me in a sane & positive mind, I raised a few questions on an imaginary set up. If u got any positive points concerning the questions of this thread then u r most welcome to post ur answer but if u have questions of ur own which u don't even know the answer of then pls start ur own thread & if u want to post then post in a "answer" manner & pls give the explanations of ur answers possibilities & also of non-possibilities because then others( including me )would be able to go in a positive direction.

13. Xotica Everyday I’m Shufflin Registered Senior Member

I'm guessing (?) here that s/he is inquiring about Light Clocks. This is an imaginary device used in relativistic thought experiments concerning frames of reference, time dilation, etc.

14. indianmath Rajesh Bhowmick Registered Senior Member

xotica, first of all thanx for participating in a positive & scientific manner.
    I'm saying abt a watch that has a crystal which vibrates at a frequency numerically equivalent to speed of light i.e."cHz" if "c" is the speed of light (if not suppose) not any light clock.
    regards.

15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

So you are asking if a crystal with a frequency of 300,000 hz was used in a clock would it be effected by time dilation?

The answer is yes.

By the way 300,000 hz is a fairly low frequency.

16. indianmath Rajesh Bhowmick Registered Senior Member

Origin, first of all I didn't gave any numeric value to "c" i.e speed of light then also if u are giving the value to it then it should be verifiable and according to the theoretical & experimental proofs. So far as I know presently we use "c" as 300,000,000 m/s, as i am considering unit of frequency as Hz so it would be m/s in S.I. units.
    Now I don't consider this frequency to be small and if speed of light is fastest so any crystal can't vibrate with more then this frequency as the crystal has to move or vibrate with a speed more then the speed of light to produce frequencies more then "c".
    Now u said "yes" to my question & u just left it there.Pls try to be more explained next time regarding ur views as how u have made this conclusion & posting the same in this thread which is started by me as I am not asking for votes for "yes" or "no". Try to be more scientific here. Don't try to give ur names to my things in this thread like u did by saying a watch said by me as a clock.
    regards.

17. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Oh, you want cHz where c is in m/s. So the frequecy is 300,000,000 Hz or 300 MHz. In that case the answer is yes the clock would be affected by time dilation.

Why wouldn't it be?

Of course a crystal can vibrate faster than 300 MHz, do you have some source that says this is not possible?

Well the problem is that it is a yes or no question. Time dilation is a real effect, it is indepedent of the type of clock that is measuring it. It does not matter what the frequency of a crystal in the watch is, why would it?

WTF? A clock and a watch are the same thing.

18. indianmath Rajesh Bhowmick Registered Senior Member

Origin, A clock can be said to be a watch but u cannot say a watch as a clock. Can u utter from ur mouth that u r wearing a "wrist clock" on ur wrist. No , never.
    This is the only part I considered to be answered & I replied back.
    regards.

19. indianmath Rajesh Bhowmick Registered Senior Member

I am commenting abt the red colored portion of ur reply.

Are u knowing what u r saying???? U r eventually saying that a crystal can vibrate or move with more then the value of 300Mhz i.e."c" i.e. speed of the light & on the other hand u r saying abt "time dilation" which is described in relativity theory & that theory is totally based on this assumption only that speed of light is fastest. Now how a crystal can move or vibrate with a speed more then "c" i.e speed of light?

regards.

20. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Yes.

The problem is that you are confused on the difference between frequency and speed. If there was and object that was vibrating (oscillating between points A and B) at 300 MHz and the distance between points A and B is less than 0.5 meters then the object will NEVER exceed c. Each cycle will be 1/300,000,000 of a second and the distance traveled will be < 1m, therefore the speec is less than c.

21. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Uh ok, do you feel that the difference between a watch and a clock has a bearing on your scenario? I hope you don't think so!

22. indianmath Rajesh Bhowmick Registered Senior Member

Regarding the red portion I want to again mention u that keep ur predetermined ideas abt me or anybody posting in this thread to urself. U just keep ur point or comment ( which should be logical ) & then we will have to discuss on that point.
    Now regarding the other colored portion Ur saying that if an object vibrates or oscillates i.e moves between between A & B.suppose the distance between "A" & "B" is 2mtrs.
    Now regarding the last portion How u r saying or concluding that the distance traveled would be <1m? It would be true for a watch using normal crystals where "second" would be according to the normal watches.
    regards.

23. indianmath Rajesh Bhowmick Registered Senior Member

For the red portion first answer the questions in the next post.
    regards.