Aluminum Skin for Existing Architecture, Cosmetically Faced

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by HectorDecimal, Feb 22, 2012.

1. HectorDecimal Registered Senior Member

For just about every reason we can imagine, durability, adiabatic quality, or resistance to electromagnetic fields, it is a good idea to have a substantial layer or layers of aluminum surrounding especially homes and electronics oriented businesses these days. It is possible to essentially layer a Faraday Cage around our homes then use an artificially faced material to cover over it all. To completely shield a home against EMP's friction seal shutters of aluminum would also be needed at openings. The problem in protecting against electromagnetism is that it can flow around objects it can't pass through, to some degree.

Aluminum layers alternated with paper can increase thermal isolation abiliity of such a layer. Grounded and your electronics would be safe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

I've worked around these in electronics. The very best are copper lined rooms with copper lined doors and no windows. What's to say we couldn't add LCD HI Def screens in place of windows?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Are you trying to put tin foil hat sellers out of business?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Reside in an environment with no natural daylight?

That might be more harmful than the effects you are protecting against although it may be useful for some applications.

What about the electromagnetic fields being generated by the technology in our own homes?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Ha! My thinking exactly!

The fields emanating from the computer where he entered his fear of fields. You can hear them if you place a multi band radio near your PC, like a shortwave, and they extend quite a ways away from the processor. Plus it would seem a little late to get squeamish about irradiation at his age.

Someone known for aluminum skinned structures would be Buckminster Fuller, with his geodesic domes of yore:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This one ended up being called a "chilling machine" because when the skin heats up it causes air currents to circulate through the vents.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

What a brilliant design for a tinfoil hat!

9. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Except I'm not sure if the head of the guy in question would fit under it!

But he'd probably feel safer, once he welded those nasty vents shut.

But how would he get out?

HEY: Don't forget your shovel!

10. HectorDecimal Registered Senior Member

Generally speaking we have a few hours warning at least from a solar flare large enough to do damage. We would need shutters of aluminim.

What we produce in our homes and even the electric lines overhead are not doing that much damage. Even cell phones are questionalble about hopw much damage they produce.

Another part of the concept would involve using LCD's for windows. Sunlight can be pumped in through other means.

This is just an idea to protect those who can't fit in a "boat."

11. HectorDecimal Registered Senior Member

That's your assumption.

Aqueous, I really don't think you are that saavy to how compressed flux works or how it can affect the planet.

The tinfoil hat people have the right idea, just not a well enough built hat. :

12. HectorDecimal Registered Senior Member

Tinfoil hats for buildings!!! Here ye! Here ye!!

Here is the frame concept for geomorphic dome structures. One thing to note in both is the well in the center. This allows for collection of sunlight, wind and water from rain. All are used to produce electricity, store it, and to distribute light while offering a shield from protons, photons, some Beta particle shielding, but EMP protection. LCD screens replace windows inside the shield, thus one looks out their window and sees the outside, but the outside doesn't get in. This design is very energy efficient. The house-within a house approach has been known for years to be the most effective. This simply replaces the windows with LCD screen and processes all incoming elements into an energy core.

13. arauca Banned Banned

What supports the circles in place ?

14. HectorDecimal Registered Senior Member

Thesy would have struts. The rings are shown. I still have to work the bugs out of my code that draws this. It is not wanting to draw all the facets, but I may have a shot depicting some of what's between the great and smaller circles.

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I'd rather be struck dead by a sun-storm than live in that house.
    If you can make very small versions, I'd like one for my cat though.

16. HectorDecimal Registered Senior Member

Do you want the one with HD LDC windows on the inside so the cat can look out but nobody can look in?

They are designed to be a cover that is installed over the house. The walls would be 2 or 3 meters away from the actaully walls of the house. One could build a dome over their entire property if they wished. Fireproof, energy conservative and intruder resistant. Inside LCD screens in place of windows.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  18. HectorDecimal Registered Senior Member

CBS News just said we aren't out of the woods with this flare yet. Better get kitty wrapped up in a tin foil hat on the double

I predicted we'd get a flare around St. Patrick's Day. This one's about 10 days early.

Back to the calculator and ephemeris.

I'm wondering, though, if this current flare is a prelude to St.Pat's.

19. HectorDecimal Registered Senior Member

As of now a NASA scientist was interviewed saying the GPS systems and power grid are the most vulnerable. It's March now, so it's expected to get warmer, but it's been about 20 degrees warmer than normal here this winter on the average.

In reality I'm a voice in the wilderness about people getting prepared. If the space agency is telling us to be concerned and that our modern technology is vulnerable, we should listen to them. I'm just one voice out here on these issues.

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Could you provide a source for this contention? If the average temperature is truly 20 deg. higher than normal that is absolutely astounding.

21. HectorDecimal Registered Senior Member

Indianapolis... WISH TV8

That's been our winter this year: on the average, 20 degrees warmer than normal. Temps have ranged from soe near 70's in January to closer to normal. No sub-zero this year at all.

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Thank you for what you have provided there, but I meant some sort of link to state weather records, not an implied statement that you heard it on your local TV station. I wouldn't trust my recollection of what I heard on my TV, so why should I trust what you say you heard?

For example, if I access the NOAA site for data on Indianapolis, here is what I find for the first ten days of January. I report mean temperature first and minimum temperature second. All are in degrees Farenheit.

39.6 33.1
    25.1 19.4
    18.4 12.9
    28.9 21.0
    35.8 25.0
    46.1 39.0
    41.9 35.1
    34.4 24.1
    37.1 25.0
    39.3 28.0

On the same site we learn that this is the fourth warmest winter on record for the US. But guess what? It is 3.9 degrees above average.

Based on the foregoing I seriously doubt your contention. Please provide documentary evidence to support the claim, or withdraw it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  23. HectorDecimal Registered Senior Member

I sent you to the tv station. They have a website. Although it's nice that you've asked "please," I'm not your personal cybersurfing slave. Yes, they also stated this is the 4th warmest US average, but for Indiana this was stated to be a record breaker. We broke a record last July-Aug for longest series of days above 90.

If you want more, then get it and bring it to the table.

I think much of the problem is in how others imagine others to be on the net. We are humans, not cybercartoons. Personally, I have a life beyond the keyboard. I think it is great that someone actually brings in some figures. UNfortunately "great" becomes diminished when it is associated with destructive criticism.

Yes. Most are familiar with Fahrenheit's scale.

Mostly I'm concerned with facts like the solar storm alert during those last couple days. We are told we got lucky. How often will we get lucky and go on unprepared. On days like that I get out last minute emails to loved ones and friends, if there's a difference, just in case communications and power does go down.

I'm trying to help people in general be informed and to offer possible solutions. If you discount the solar activity and the weirdness of the weather, then that is for you to evidence. The thread is saying we should be preparing.