Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nomophobia. Do you have it?

Valued Senior Member scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C C View Post
    I was struck by the etymological aspect. A combining form like "nomo" would usually be taken to refer to "law", so that nomophobia would then mean "fear of laws, rules, etc". But that it is instead an extraction from "no-mobile-phone" just reminds one that arbitrary elements have skyrocketed yet again as a force in the term-engineering market.
    I would tend to agree that the name given sounds like it may have been coined by a group of high-school kids, suffering angst at being told to leave their phones in their lockers.

Quote Originally Posted by RichW9090 View Post
    Cosmic, there is no place you can ever live where someone could not break in if they wanted to badly enough. But people break in for a reason. They do not break in to practice their Feng Shui skills, and rearrange your furniture.
    Breaking in and rearranging furniture and such can be a sign of gaslighting.
    It's an attempt to make someone crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoniphi View Post
    We had just one that was persistant - a crack head that was staying at a nearby hotel (within walking distance). He hit most of the homes on this street - except mine - while he was working this 'hood. I was at home during the day (still am) and have a large dog (still do) so burglarizing this place would have meant a face-to-face confrontation and he passed on that. A cop friend saw the perp get into a taxi and head East, so he followed him across the big city to a pawn shop where he fenced the goods that he stole from my neighbor 3 houses down the street. The fellow had been using the cash to buy crack and the services of a prostitute. Now he is staying at a state facility.

Many of our Detroit petty criminals like to hit a place repeatedly. Sometimes that brings them down, sometimes the victims just don't ever wise up. Many times here though, if you are at home when they come in, they will kill you AND rob you. We have some pretty bad people around here. Lots of good folks, mind you, but a few very bad apples for sure.
    Dogs can be a deterrent, for certain. I used to have sled dogs and nothing was getting within 100 yards of the house without myself and the neighborhood knowing about it.

I have not had a dog in many years but the neighbors on both sides do so I benefit from the overlap. The horses also are quite good watch dogs and if I am outside, I can tell what's going on merely by observing their actions.

Inside the house, we have two cats and they are pretty aware of anyone or anything on the other side of the walls as well. A few years ago, there were some break-ins a couple of miles away, the teenage kids of some of the residents, looking for money, booze and things they could easily peddle. They seemed to avoid this end of the subdivision, likely because we were the hunting crowd, and the emergency responders. My neighbor has the avalanche dogs and we WOULD track them down, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Breaking in and rearranging furniture and such can be a sign of gaslighting.
    It's an attempt to make someone crazy.
    An interesting link, wynn. Thank you for posting it. I was not aware of that term.

In these parts, 'gas lighting' is striking a match to a white gas (naptha) lamp or propane lighting in remote cabins that are not on the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by KilljoyKlown View Post
    But suppose you had a smart phone, and you used it for everything. Internet access, Facebook, GPS, Games, impressing your friends, ...etc?
    It does indeed seem like the new generation of phones can provide such a variety of diversion, in addition to being a GPS and communication device, that people are becoming interactive with and dependent upon their personal gadget.

The internet was several years delayed in getting to consumers this far north and so we may well be at a somewhat less advanced stage of this experiential curve.

Quote Originally Posted by leopold View Post
    when all is said and done it comes down to the following:
    keep your eyes in front of you and your hands on the wheel.
    at freeway speeds it only takes a couple of seconds for a full blown disaster to be upon you.
    Too true, especially when you factor in winter weather and wildlife as well.

BTW - Do mobile phones even work in that cold?

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    An interesting link, wynn. Thank you for posting it. I was not aware of that term.

In these parts, 'gas lighting' is striking a match to a white gas (naptha) lamp or propane lighting in remote cabins that are not on the grid.
    I can't imagine a total stranger doing that kind of thing. So I would look closer to home for the culprit. Sometimes very hard to believe who might be causing the paranoia. I would hazard a guess that if you are not gay (the opposite sex). For whatever reason, understanding not required.

I think batteries do crap out at low temperatures. Not sure what that is at the moment. But a phone kept in a pocket close to the body should okay for normal usage.

I can't imagine a total stranger doing that kind of thing. So I would look closer to home for the culprit.
    Cosmictraveler said that on Halloween, he gave kids packaged sliced apples.
    If he does other such things that are generally perceived as awkward, he could easily draw an unwelcome attention of the neighborhood kids and others.

They work inside heated buildings and vehicles. If it's not too cold, one can carry it in an inside pocket of a warm coat.

If my memory serves, it's operating range is 0C-35C.

Mine goes numb at around 0 °C. Bah.

I think batteries do crap out at low temperatures. Not sure what that is at the moment. But a phone kept in a pocket close to the body should okay for normal usage.
    True.

When it's -30C to -40C outdoors however, even an inside parka pocket will be pretty cold if you are wearing several layers of clothing under the parka. (Insulation works both ways.) You would pretty much need that pocket in your thermal undies and have a decent metabolism to keep it warm.

One can use those chemical hand-warmers to help with the heat factor for the phone as long as they are not in direct contact with the phone to prevent any contamination from the contents of the hand-warmers.

Mine goes numb at around 0 °C. Bah.
    Try one of those hand warmers if you have the opportunity. They are good for about 6 hours as I recall (brands vary) and a warm phone will at least get you a short call, longer if you have warm hands as well.

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Try one of those hand warmers if you have the opportunity. They are good for about 6 hours as I recall (brands vary) and a warm phone will at least get you a short call, longer if you have warm hands as well.
    I refuse to be anywhere that it gets that cold, so not a problem for me.

'Nomophobia' raises another concern besides the potential adverse effects on those afflicted with this condition and the substantiated dangers they present to the rest of the world and to themselves when distracted in this manner.

Mobile phones are predicted to be the new target for hackers as most of them lack in security features.

Security experts predict 2012 will be a breakthrough year for cyber-attacks on smartphones. There are now enough of these mobile computers in use to make them an inviting target.

“Shopping and mobile banking are things that are going to leave a trail and contain lots of goodies that criminals can go after,” says Rachel Ratcliff Womack with the digital security firm Stroz Friedberg.

In addition to all of your personal information, you probably have business email and contacts on your phone.

“It brings those two worlds together in a very convenient package for criminals to target,” Womack says.

Not only are they loaded with all sorts of personal information a crook would like to steal, most smartphones are also completely unprotected.

The subject of malicious cell phone attacks has been greatly hyped the last few years. But during 2011 it became clear that this is a real threat that must be taken seriously.

“We are only at the beginning of the wave,” says James Lyne, director of technology strategies at Sophos, an international firm that specializes in online security for businesses. “We’ve definitely got to start worrying about security on mobile devices.”
    http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...2-experts-warn

Another reason for keeping my cellphone simply for use as an emergency voice communication system and NOT enabling the internet access on it.

Yes, I still actually GO to the bank for most of my financial needs. While I recognize that their security can be compromised like that of any other, I should hope they have more resources to throw at the concern than does the average individual.

Besides, by making it's slightly inconvenient to access what funds I have, I find that I give more thought to my expenditures and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by spidergoat View Post
    I really hate it when that happens, especially to me.

Excellent post, wynn.

Oprah is a trend setter and this is one area where she can perhaps make a life-saving difference.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast