Most Violent & Peaceful Religions

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Thoreau, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

So, after a discussion with Adstar, I figured I'd ask the general SF populus what they think/know.

Throughout the past 100 years, which religions have proved to be the most violent and the most peaceful?

I guess this could be judged by the number of deaths at the hands of each religion, but I'll let you guys debate about that.

My opinion is that either Islam or Christianity takes the cake as the most violent. But that's just an educated hunch.

Have fun!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

The least violent, the most peaceful religion would be one which would have the lowest minimal requirements for membership in it.

Of course, low enough minimal requirements for membership would effectively annull the religion.

For a religion to be distinctive, it has to have relatively high minimal requirements for membership.
    The higher those requirements, the more exclusive the religion.
    The more exclusive the religion, the more people it will exclude - the fewer can join. This sometimes manifests as physical violence, other times as psychological violence.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Since huge segments of the world population can be readily bundled into a handful of mega-churches, exclusivity will only apply in a minority of cases.

Rather than taking this hopelessly skeptical view, or attributing violence to other causes, I will simply draw from the words of a 60s protest song, to suggest that there is a simpler, broader scope that the OP invites:

Here's Buffy Sainte Marie, the composer, and Donovan,

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't know because I'm not that well versed in every religion that is available and being practiced today. I cannot therefore make comments about something I know so little about other than it is humans who are in charge of all religions and they are responsible to whatever their actions are.

8. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I don't think that we can include violence committed by nominally religious people for secular reasons. So Europe's two World Wars wouldn't really count.

If we are looking at violence committed by religious people for specifically religious reasons, I think that Islam has been much more violent than Christianity, certainly in the last 100 year time period.

But that's mainly because many Muslims still believe in their religion a lot more passionately than most modern-day nominal Christians believe in theirs. Christians probably haven't been more peaceful over the last century, it's just that their violence has less often had an overtly religious motivation.

If we accept that Marxism is a religion (it's a quasi-religion in my opinion, ostensibly atheistic, but with a strong salvational eschatology), then it might win the prize for most religiously inspired violence during the last 100 years.

Least violent during that period? Confucians, Buddhists and the Jains perhaps.

9. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

No it can't. You have to take into account the membership. Deaths per capita would be better. Except beliefs don't kill people, people do.

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Not at all. They do not agree. They very much appreciate their exclusivity.

Why do you think it's a "hopelessly skeptical view"?

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

This is just irresponsible sentimentalism.

12. birch Valued Senior Member

no, it's not. it's not advocating violence based on prejudice whereas fundamental religions advocate just based on whether one is a member of a religion or not.

marxism is just noting the exploitation of the proletariat by the bourgeousie, as is happening now and was.

13. michael_taylor Registered Senior Member

You don't think one which had a high minimum requirement which was designed to select only the most passive people would be more peaceful? Your definition of the most peaceful group is "everyone" ?

I don't agree.

I think the most peaceful religion would be one in which its scriptures and priests weren't obsessed with stories about murder, revenge, rape, slavery, subjugation and oppression. One in which adherents weren't repeatedly told to kill people over the most trivial things. Or given licence to keep slaves and beat them senseless. One in which the figure of moral authority doesn't act like a child in a tantrum one moment and a calculating sociopath the next.

Lets say you're writing a religion. Imagine you don't want it to spread your values, or become popular and powerful, or let you get away with whatever sick crimes your heart desires. Imagine you just want it to be peaceful, to foster love and understanding.

Would you end up with anything like any of the main religions?

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

The lower the minimum requirements for membership, the more people can join / be included; and the more people are included, the fewer are excluded; the fewer are excluded, the less conflict there is between members and non-members.

and

Such a religion does not seem to be able to withstand the test of time - conflict with non-members.

15. elte Valued Senior Member

Those lyrics explain well how the warrior, with the support of the public, is the enabler of warfare.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  16. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

most violent. christianity/catholics

17. michael_taylor Registered Senior Member

So the way to stop aggression is to make sure there are no victims for it? What kind of sense is that? I think teaching people to be less aggressive regardless of whether the other people share their beliefs or not would work better.

Even if there was hypothetically a situation where everyone shared the same religion and there was nobody "asking for it" by having different beliefs, are you honestly trying to claim that the scriptures of that religion will have no impact on how peaceful it is?

You think a religion that said "sometimes you have to kill people to please your god" would be equally as peaceful as one which said "never, ever destroy peace, even if you think a god is telling you to" ?

You're either intentionally lying to cover up the feelings of guilt and unease you have over the horrific and anti-peace content of your own religion, or you're just a bit nuts.

18. michael_taylor Registered Senior Member

Exactly.

The ones that stand the test of time are the ones which have scriptures saying "in cases of conflict with non-members, make sure you win using any means necessary. Be it the murder of children, genocide, terrorism, enslavement, or what have you."

Like Christianity, Islam or Judaism.

(P.S. my bible has lots of passages marked if you'd like to discuss specifics about Christianity. Maybe today will be the first day since my junior school vicar I meet a Christian who knows their bible as well as I do. I'm not so well versed in Islam, but perhaps you aren't either.)

19. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Christianity and Islam. @Wynn, the exculsive conviction of faith may be a better indicator of potential violence rather than the cost of belonging - which would arise naturally proportional to the strength of conviction.

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

What on earth makes you think that I am a Christian??

21. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

That's one way, and it is the way that the modern movement for tolerance and equality goes: "declare everyone to be equal, and declare the differences between people to be irrelevant."

I doubt people are aggressive because of mere difference of religious beliefs.
    Human aggression is a complex phenomenon, as much research in psychology indicates.

Peacefulness will depend a lot on the material circumstances in which people live.
    If they live in circumstances where resources are scarce, where the natural environment is unpredictable and dangerous (such as the problem of droughts and floods), it will be challenging for them to be peaceful, especially if they work out of the premise that they own the land.

A theistic religion that would have atheistic tenets wouldn't be much of a theistic religion, would it?

You really need to watch your language, and check your preconceived notions about other people and religion.

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

This argument is often made, but I think it is misleading.

It's not the exclusivism that is the problem, but what exactly that exclusivism is about.

There are, for example, some highly exclusivist schools within Buddhism and Hinduism, but they are not violent toward others. And it appears that one of the reasons for this is that they have 1. doctrines that explain how come people are different, and 2. that their explanations are such according to which everyone is eventually happy.

Any doctrine that has the concept of eternal damnation is a doctrine according to which not everyone is eventually happy. This is bound to give rise to friction, internal and external.

As some studies show, the concept of "eternal damnation" is a relatively new one; it didn't always exist in Christianity.

23. michael_taylor Registered Senior Member

Please can you just give me a straight answer.

Do you think a religion which teaches that violence is acceptable will make a group more violent than a religion which teaches violence is not acceptable? Do you think the content of a religion has any effect on the follower's behaviour?

Are you claiming that no amount of indoctrination can make a person more aggressive, even if you threaten them with eternal torment for failing to kill who the god says you should kill?

I can't see how that can be denied without seeming to be a liar or a nut.